Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Byton hopes to use Tesla Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
The Chinese startup car, Byton, that just previewed at CES hopes to be able to use Tesla's Supercharger network, saying they "expect Tesla would be happy - or be forced - to share its Super Charger stations." Maybe China would force them to? Anyway here's a BBC article on the Byton. Near the end of the article starts the section "Power Struggle" about charging and includes comments from Byton's rep and a 2014 quote from Elon about the Superchargers.

Byton unveils futuristic smart car at CES

Last edited:
Tesla owns the networks because they paid for each station its only fair that if some other manufacturers want to use the network they need to contribute financially. Just as Elon said in 2014 he’s open to that, I just don’t like the FORCE THEM TO wording here.

Well, odds are Byton is never going to make it to the US, and most likely won't make it long in China.

However, I'm willing to share the SC network if doing so results in faster expansion of the network, and, consequently, more widespread adoption of BEVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tech_Guy
If other cars paid for electricity and some of the cap ex it would be a win-win.

.15 per kWh for Teslas and .30 per kWh for non-Teslas.

The extra .15 covers buildout for still more chargers and the movement gets advanced.

What's happening here in Chicago is nuts - we had 2 stalls downtown that covered the entire city for years but now we are on the verge of 26 within the city within a few months and another 20 stalls in Skokie (very close to the city) also nearly complete.

This is enough capacity for the incoming Model 3's and then some, why not utilize that capacity and get some ROI for Tesla?

Tesla owns the networks because they paid for each station its only fair that if some other manufacturers want to use the network they need to contribute financially.

Key word being, "China".

I would say the key work is "communism". Ask the old rum makers in Cuba if it matters who paid for what and what is fair.

Reactions: skitown
Let Byton promulgate the CCS standard or similar.

The “sharing the SCs with other manufacturers” ship has sailed.

I mention CCS because the last US forecast map for 2018-2019 showed significant coverage intentions - bolstered in large measure by GM and the Volkswagen Group.

I suspect that the "greater good" outcome would be for Byton to go in with CCS, and not Tesla. Not because I am jealously guarding the Supercharger network for only Tesla owners, but because having two large and incompatible networks (CCS/SC) is more of a problem if the vehicle ownership gets split more evenly between them, versus a "universal" and "proprietary" one. I worry that it would really hurt CCS rollout, even if Byton doesn't sell well here. The established makes would never stoop to using Supercharger network at any price, even free, at this point, so we're going to have at least two networks anyways. But it's better for wider BEV adoption for everyone to be able to use CCS (ideally, including Tesla) so that BEV adoption in general can grow with more available charging network support.

I believe Elon hoped that what he started would drive change and it certainly did. If he really meant for the EV world to take off in hopes of a better place Tesla needs to share that network.

I'm not saying for free, Tesla did after all front all the money for the infrastructure but it's that network that truly makes owning a EV sustainable for middle class families. If they keep it to themselves they will delay the broad acceptance of EV by 5-10 years while a standard can be adopted and installed.

Just my 2 cents...