Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Byton unveils interior with huge screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Teaser_06.jpg

More pics here: https://electrek.co/2019/06/17/byton-interior-screen-bonanza-production-electric-car/

On one hand, I applaud Byton for trying something different but it looks to me like they tried to copy Tesla but did it wrong. Yes, Tesla has a big touch screen in their cars but Tesla put the screen to the side and also made it easily accessible to the driver. It still fits the form and function of the car. Plus, while Tesla's screen is big compared to displays in other car, it is still reasonable in size. Byton basically just put a huge wide screen right smack in front of the driver. It seems to obscure the view of the driver and could be very distracting. And the driver still has to rely on buttons to perform functions. So while you are driving, you have to look at the big screen and touch buttons on the steering wheel. Awkward. But if the car is fully autonomous, I could see the screen being really nice for watching movies. Personally, if they wanted to do a screen that spans the width of the car, I would have made the screen lower so that it does not block the view as much.

So do you love it or hate it?

It's not really an unveiling, given that they've been showing their screen for over a year now.
Bjørn Nyland posted a video in June 2018.

As the article explains, previous cars were pre-production so this is our first confirmation that the interior will be the same in the actual production cars sold to the public, not just a concept.

Imho that design is seriously overdoing it.

I´m in a car, and since there is a steering wheel I guess I´m supposed to drive that myself for the time being.
So what do I need the monitor setup of a multimedia artist for?
And if that thing was fully automated and I could use the screen for entertainment purposes the screen ratio would suck, so.....why?

Imho that design is seriously overdoing it.

I´m in a car, and since there is a steering wheel I guess I´m supposed to drive that myself for the time being.
So what do I need the monitor setup of a multimedia artist for?
And if that thing was fully automated and I could use the screen for entertainment purposes the screen ratio would suck, so.....why?

I think this video might answer your questions. Byton intends the car to be another smart device, hence the large screen, gesture control, alexa integration etc... For example, the car uses cameras to recognize who is driving and who is a passenger by name, sync to the Byton app and can keep track of your calendar appts, recommend places, keep track of your health stats like heart rate, allow you to send messages to friends with the app, automatically send them notifications when you will arrive to pick them up based on the car's GPS, navigation etc... So the car is an extension of your smart phone, smart watch etc...

I found this interesting paragraph on the Byton website:
"As one of the key pioneers in autonomous driving, we develop our own autonomous driving technology to liberate you like never before. BYTON Concept epitomizes the first-ever purpose-built car aimed towards a fully autonomous future.

Beyond its most advanced driver-assistance systems and global 5-star NCAP performance, what further sets BYTON apart is its innate compatibility with further autonomous driving capabilities. Right from the start, your BYTON will have Level III functionality and will be ready for Level IV autonomous driving from 2020." BYTON Technology

This kinda surprises me. I was not aware that Byton is a pioneer in FSD. Also, interesting that they are promising L3 autonomy this year and L4 autonomy next year. How are they going to achieve that?

So I looked into it and found this neat video interview that talks about the car's autonomous systems:

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
So the car is an extension of your smart phone, smart watch etc...
And we don`t need more than ~5-6" on our smart devies to have all that and now we suddenly get a ginourmos ultra wide screen in our cars for the same purpose?

I´ve seen the demos, too, and I still think that design is absolute garbage and was purely made to fetch some attention and not to actually have practical use.

And we don`t need more than ~5-6" on our smart devies to have all that and now we suddenly get a ginourmos ultra wide screen in our cars for the same purpose?

I´ve seen the demos, too, and I still think that design is absolute garbage and was purely made to fetch some attention and not to actually have practical use.

You have a good point. I don't necessarily disagree. Certainly, I think marketing was a big reason for the super wide large screen. It was a way of doing something that would create a buzz around their car, and something unique that would make their car stand out in the crowd. That's not necessarily a bad reason by itself since with all the cars out there, it is indeed important for your car to stand out so that potential customers have a reason to notice and maybe buy your car instead of the competition. But I also think that autonomous driving is also a factor. Byton claims the K-Byte will be L3 autonomous this year and L4 autonomous next year. Certainly, having such a large screen for watching movies or doing a conference call or checking up on your email, could be really nice if the car is able to drive completely autonomously. So I could see the purpose of the big screen for things like watching movies when the car is self-driving. The interior does look to me to be more of a smart living room on wheels design.

Also, interesting that they are promising L3 autonomy this year and L4 autonomy next year. How are they going to achieve that?

Same way Musk does. Promise it this year, promise it again next year, and then again the year after that. They learned from the world leading in promising FSD.