Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Byuing tips for 2019 and 2020 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
sorry for double posting I put this question in FAQ but ir probable belongs here instead.

MX newbie here :) In looking to buy private lightly used non P MX I have a couple of questions:
  • Why do some (non P) have 330 and some 350 mile range? How do I identify which version I am looking at?
  • How do I identify if it has adaptive suspension?
  • The one I drove was shuddering under acceleration. Do all X shudder sometimes or does it vary from car to car?
  • Which X versions have 8 year unlimited battery and drivetrain warranty?
  • Do all X have tow hitch and trailer electric plug?

The range depends on the Variant long range or Long range plus which is a combination of new battery chemistry E, F, G, H battery. Also a combination of minor hardware efficiencies. New batteries tend to be December 2019 F battery to the recent now mid 2020 H batteries that can hit up to 250kw supercharging briefly. To identify to ad the dash it will say long range or long range plus and to identify battery check the wheel well with wheels turned and check the sticker on the battery.

To identify adaptive suspension go to settings under software and a description will be given of all the specs from autopilot hardware, to suspension, to premium audio etc

All MX will eventually shudder under acceleration. This is a design flaw that yet to be fixed permanently. You’ll have to take your chances with Tesla depending how bad it is for them to change the half shafts which last up to 10k mi depending on how hard you punch it and if you’re always in low suspension.

I believe all MX have 8yr battery & powertrain but most will have unlimited miles also. The recent ones most likely have limited warranty miles.

All 2019 & 2020 MX come with trailer hitch, earlier models depends on if the owner had it installed.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle and BM3B
The range depends on the Variant long range or Long range plus which is a combination of new battery chemistry E, F, G, H battery. Also a combination of minor hardware efficiencies. New batteries tend to be December 2019 F battery to the recent now mid 2020 H batteries that can hit up to 250kw supercharging briefly. To identify to ad the dash it will say long range or long range plus and to identify battery check the wheel well with wheels turned and check the sticker on the battery.

To identify adaptive suspension go to settings under software and a description will be given of all the specs from autopilot hardware, to suspension, to premium audio etc

All MX will eventually shudder under acceleration. This is a design flaw that yet to be fixed permanently. You’ll have to take your chances with Tesla depending how bad it is for them to change the half shafts which last up to 10k mi depending on how hard you punch it and if you’re always in low suspension.

I believe all MX have 8yr battery & powertrain but most will have unlimited miles also. The recent ones most likely have limited warranty miles.

All 2019 & 2020 MX come with trailer hitch, earlier models depends on if the owner had it installed.
Very informative thanks! I still don't know how to separate the 328 from the 351 mile model. Long Range seems to be 295 miles.Are Long Range Plus models 328 or 351 miles? I have seen both listed on Tesla's inventory site. If I buy private, is there a way to know which one I get if the dash says Long Range Plus on both versions?

I think the only way to know for sure is the check the battery build level (I think that's what it's called). There is a label on the frame behind the passenger side front wheel that has, among other things, a large single letter printed on it. If it's an "H" you will have one with 351 miles of range.

If that info is incorrect, others please correct me.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
Very informative thanks! I still don't know how to separate the 328 from the 351 mile model. Long Range seems to be 295 miles.Are Long Range Plus models 328 or 351 miles? I have seen both listed on Tesla's inventory site. If I buy private, is there a way to know which one I get if the dash says Long Range Plus on both versions?
295 is the 90% charge of the 328 long range model - i know for sure since i have it. 351 is the long range plus model.