Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C’mon Folks! Be nice to fellow EV owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 good stalls on top level of Southbay parking garage and you decide to to squat in 2 of the 4 EV charger spots. I don’t understand.

Attachments

• 02A8F979-4613-45B4-9766-9629E80E471A.jpeg
    02A8F979-4613-45B4-9766-9629E80E471A.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
At least they're charging (Teslas are just as entitled to use them as other EV's), and there are open spots. I saw an asshat Model X owner parked in the EVgo L3 spot at the Burlington Mall a week before Christmas for at least 2 hours. Not charging, just screwing over the people who needed the charger with their own sense of self-entitlement.

Reactions: MarcoRP and Akikiki
Appreciate the responses. I visit this location when in town. Just as many Tesla owner scream murder when an ICE vehicle parks in a dual use Tesla charging/short-term parking spot when there are tons of parking spots available, it seems unfair to tie up general charging spots when 2 floors above you have Superchargers. It’s hard to encourage more EV owners and you have to explain this. Just my thoughts/opinion. Safe travels all.

Reactions: JSergeant
Just as many Tesla owner scream murder when an ICE vehicle parks in a dual use Tesla charging/short-term parking spot when there are tons of parking spots available, it seems unfair to tie up general charging spots when 2 floors above you have Superchargers. It’s hard to encourage more EV owners and you have to explain this. Just my thoughts/opinion. Safe travels all.
There's a clear difference between those two situations though. The ICEV gets exactly the same utility from parking in a non-charger stall that they do in a dual use one. The only distinction is location of the stalls. Otherwise, the two spots are perfectly interchangeable. For a Tesla charging from the L2 stations vs the supercharger, they are actually getting qualitatively different services, each with a different optimal use case. Swapping which one they are using can/will have a significant impact on their experience and utility.

Not a Tesla owner here. I never have a problem with this. I have on occasion used a Tesla wall charger with our leaf at an out of the way Restaurant winery. (Adapter). Literally parked right beside a model S hooked up to a Clipper Creek. My guess is when he pulled in there was another Tesla at the Tesla HPWC. Meh. Just another EV. As long as they are charging. Checked with management and they were fine with it. As long as we were customers.

OP's point is to be kind. Anyone remember pumping gas? Many stations have only a few diesel pumps built into the gasoline pumps: if driving a gas car, did you try to leave the diesel pumps open and use gasoline-only pumps first? Or not care and block the diesel pump so those drivers would have to wait? It's all about courtesy, except with EV charging the times are increased dramatically.
With Teslas we have more charging options so we should be courteous to those with fewer charging options. Isn't that Elon's mission, to spread the adoption of EVs?
Side benefit is that we can help avoid developing a bad reputation with our EV cousins.

I don't see anything wrong here, particularly with two other spots free. I much prefer to charge L2 when not on a road trip just to minimize any wear that Supercharging might put on the battery. I'm also not sure But in a scenario like this I'd always check in on Plugshare and leave a messaging offering to move if another EV needs to charge. Now in a scenario where there were Tesla destination chargers available - absolutely, those should always be used first. I previously owned a Leaf and never even thought to be concerned about Teslas parked in an L2 spot where supercharging was also available. I'd consider PHEVs occupying all the spots more annoying, but still a very legitimate use of them.

Also, per Chargepoint.com, it looks like these are free to use. You're suggesting that because I own a Tesla, I should not be allowed to take advantage of free EV charging that is offered to other EV owners? I don't have free supercharging.

OP's point is to be kind. Anyone remember pumping gas? Many stations have only a few diesel pumps built into the gasoline pumps: if driving a gas car, did you try to leave the diesel pumps open and use gasoline-only pumps first? Or not care and block the diesel pump so those drivers would have to wait? It's all about courtesy, except with EV charging the times are increased dramatically.

Absolutely. If there's Tesla destination chargers, Teslas should only be using the Chargepoint has a means of last resort. But I don't see supercharging as equivalent to L2. Now regarding courtesy, absolutely - that's why I'd always offer to move if another car needs to charge to continue on their trip (via a Plugshare post).

In short, I think it is possible to be kind while also L2 charging when there are no other L2 options available. But I don't think that just because Tesla has invested heavily in a paid EV fast charging network that I shouldn't be allowed to take advantage of L2 charging opportunities, particularly when they are offered free to EV owners as a perk of choosing that particular garage. Would a Leaf with ChAdemo not be allowed to charge from a free L2 charger in a lot that also held a paid EVGo or Electrify America ChaDeMo setup? After all, there are Leafs and other EVs on the road that don't have DC fast charging capabilities.