Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C-bond Nanoshield (windshield sealant) 1 year review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Wanted to post this to share my experience with C-Bond Nanoshield windshield sealant.

TLDR: may just be a coincidence of evading a chip, star or crack more than a dozen encounters with flying pebbles at speed (60+ mph), but I tend to think not with so many posts about chipped and cracked Tesla windshields and how fragile they are. This stuff really does seem to work. I am in no way affiliated with C-Bond systems.

Cost: minimal ($35 per kit)
Installation: easy/novice
Visual impairment: none

I live in Seattle and with the frequent rain, flying pebbles and other debris are common on our interstates. After 3 windshield Replacements in my previous car, I looked into several different forms of windshield protection before picking up my model 3 last October.

The options really came down to a sealant or a laminate film. The latter being too expensive and causing visibility issues.

Anyway I opted for Nanoshield. C-Bond claims their windshield sealant covalently bonds to the microscopic gaps and flaws that occur during the glass making process, drastically reducing the chance of rock chips and cracks.

Installation was very easy, similar to applying Rain-X but with a squeegee and paper towel. There will be a little residue leftover from application , but it buffs out easily and took about one hour to obtain a flawless finish.

Over the last year, my windshield has been struck at least a dozen times, a few times by pebbles so large they sound like a gunshot on impact. Most have resulted in a small, permanent pit in the windshield, but so far there have been zero cracks. I was a little skeptical that anything would actually work, but after a year of first-hand experience I vouch for this stuff.

If you're considering windshield protection for your new (or existing) 3, the stuff seems like a cheap but effective solution.

This is definitely something I'd be interested in, got three small chips in the past couple of years I want to protect the Model 3's fragile windshield. The website is kind of sketchy though, this is pretty much the only product offered and they won't accept PayPal.

The youtube commercials are really cheesy, and their social media hasn't been updated in years. It's hard to find where to even buy it - seems like something that would sell great on Amazon. OP's post is convincing though - either he got extremely lucky or this stuff does work.

HOUSTON, Oct. 23, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- C-Bond Systems (the “Company” or “C-Bond”) (OTC: CBNT), a nanotechnology company that improves and strengthens brittle materials, announced today that its C-Bond NanoShield™ glass strengthening solution reduced windshield damage in an independent test on 20 Tesla X vehicles in the Netherlands. The goal of the study was to reduce windshield damage by applying C-Bond NanoShield.

The test was conducted from May 8, 2018 to September 25, 2018, and C-Bond NanoShield was applied to the windshields of 20 Tesla X vehicles from a 54-vehicle fleet. During the 4 ½ month period, the 20 Teslas drove more than 1 million kilometers and were checked every 14 days for windshield damage. At the end of the test period, no damage requiring repair or replacement of the windshield was reported.

In the six months prior to the test, three windshields costing €1800 each from the 54-vehicle fleet had to be replaced because of breakage. Thoms Automotive, which applied the C-Bond NanoShield during the original test, has now received an order to treat the remaining 34 Tesla X with C-Bond NanoShield.

Reactions: CLK350
I'm curious if it does anything for the arc shaped streaks that show up on the glass after using the wipers for a while. The ones I believe are caused by the wipers polishing the wiped area that cannot quite be cleaned away (at least for me).

Wanted to post this to share my experience with C-Bond Nanoshield windshield sealant.

TLDR: may just be a coincidence of evading a chip, star or crack more than a dozen encounters with flying pebbles at speed (60+ mph), but I tend to think not with so many posts about chipped and cracked Tesla windshields and how fragile they are. This stuff really does seem to work. I am in no way affiliated with C-Bond systems.

Cost: minimal ($35 per kit)
Installation: easy/novice
Visual impairment: none

I live in Seattle and with the frequent rain, flying pebbles and other debris are common on our interstates. After 3 windshield Replacements in my previous car, I looked into several different forms of windshield protection before picking up my model 3 last October.

The options really came down to a sealant or a laminate film. The latter being too expensive and causing visibility issues.

Anyway I opted for Nanoshield. C-Bond claims their windshield sealant covalently bonds to the microscopic gaps and flaws that occur during the glass making process, drastically reducing the chance of rock chips and cracks.

Installation was very easy, similar to applying Rain-X but with a squeegee and paper towel. There will be a little residue leftover from application , but it buffs out easily and took about one hour to obtain a flawless finish.

Over the last year, my windshield has been struck at least a dozen times, a few times by pebbles so large they sound like a gunshot on impact. Most have resulted in a small, permanent pit in the windshield, but so far there have been zero cracks. I was a little skeptical that anything would actually work, but after a year of first-hand experience I vouch for this stuff.

If you're considering windshield protection for your new (or existing) 3, the stuff seems like a cheap but effective solution.

Thank you for your comments as you are spot on regarding the technology of C-Bond Nanoshield. Currently, the Nanoshield product is only sold via professional installers, however, we are opening up orders direct for Tesla owners only. We understand the issues with the Tesla windshields and the exorbitant costs. Just for clarification, there are (2) products currently, Nanoshield and Nanoshield Plus. Nanoshield Plus has an added hydrophobic to help repel water, however, the main function of Nanoshield is to enable glass material to dissipate energy by permeating the glass surface and identifying the inherent microscopic flaws and defects that are a natural part of every glass surface and weaken the glass composite structure initiating failure. C-Bond’s proprietary technology then covalently bonds to and repairs the identified surface imperfections dramatically increasing the mechanical performance properties of the glass unit while maintaining original glass design integrity. In most cases, it is sometimes impossible to avoid a chip 100% of the time, however, cracking is a different scenario. A chip is a simple repair, and crack is a costly replacement. If you use Nanoshield and you get a chip. the chip will not propagate into a crack which will allow for a repair and not a replacement. Finally, this is not a coating, it permeates the glass, so there is no negative effect on the sensor that are part of the windshield, unlike a coating.

Again, we will accept orders directly from TESLA owners only, otherwise, you can contact your service provider to have the service completed. Please fee free to contact our company directly toll free @ 844-60-C-Bond or 832-649-5658 and we will be happy to fulfill your order.

Thank you,
Michael Haider
President
C-Bond Automotive Solutions

Reactions: CO_MY
Thank you for your comments as you are spot on regarding the technology of C-Bond Nanoshield. Currently, the Nanoshield product is only sold via professional installers, however, we are opening up orders direct for Tesla owners only. We understand the issues with the Tesla windshields and the exorbitant costs. Just for clarification, there are (2) products currently, Nanoshield and Nanoshield Plus. Nanoshield Plus has an added hydrophobic to help repel water, however, the main function of Nanoshield is to enable glass material to dissipate energy by permeating the glass surface and identifying the inherent microscopic flaws and defects that are a natural part of every glass surface and weaken the glass composite structure initiating failure. C-Bond’s proprietary technology then covalently bonds to and repairs the identified surface imperfections dramatically increasing the mechanical performance properties of the glass unit while maintaining original glass design integrity. In most cases, it is sometimes impossible to avoid a chip 100% of the time, however, cracking is a different scenario. A chip is a simple repair, and crack is a costly replacement. If you use Nanoshield and you get a chip. the chip will not propagate into a crack which will allow for a repair and not a replacement. Finally, this is not a coating, it permeates the glass, so there is no negative effect on the sensor that are part of the windshield, unlike a coating.

Again, we will accept orders directly from TESLA owners only, otherwise, you can contact your service provider to have the service completed. Please fee free to contact our company directly toll free @ 844-60-C-Bond or 832-649-5658 and we will be happy to fulfill your order.

Thank you,
Michael Haider
President
C-Bond Automotive Solutions

Let me order online and I'll buy right now. I'm not going to call someone.

I would also strongly encourage C-bond to start selling to Tesla owners via some form of web portal. Also I prefer to just buy the solutions, the kit with squeegee is kind of useless. I'd rather get two bottles of the solutions so I can do all the windows and glass roof.