Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C&d Replacement 12v Battery Experience With Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ORB

Jun 22, 2012
Hello all,

I want to minimize the cost of a 12V battery replacement in my Model S. I want to replace the 12V battery myself, and found this replacement unit on Ebay from Gruber Motor Company:
Tesla 12V Battery.png

Could anyone please give me feedback on their experience with this battery?

Thank you very much!
Oliver Barrett
Sunnyvale, CA

I just installed my battery from gruber yesterday. The battery seems to be new and good the install was a huge pain in the ass. I think the models with the dual motors have and easier access location than us with the rear wheel drive cars. The battery comes with a warranty but with ebay its pretty much worry free with paypal. Good luck either way and make sure when you install it to put the cable back on the fuse box and the sensor on the negative terminal.

I just installed my battery from gruber yesterday. The battery seems to be new and good the install was a huge pain in the ass. I think the models with the dual motors have and easier access location than us with the rear wheel drive cars. The battery comes with a warranty but with ebay its pretty much worry free with paypal. Good luck either way and make sure when you install it to put the cable back on the fuse box and the sensor on the negative terminal.
Mat300z,
Thank you for the info! I gather that you did a full vehicle shutdown before starting the install (power off button in the e-brake/park screen)?

Info update

A “12V Battery Needs Service” message appeared about a month ago, and I was considering replacing the battery myself while waiting for Tesla inventory stock of these batteries to become available. Last week, my issue was resolved when the service center determined that the message was in error, so no replacement was needed. I did learn that according to the service center, there is a setting in the Tesla software that needs to be reset when the battery is replaced, only accessible by service techs in Service mode, so I’ll likely not try this install myself in the future. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Oliver Barrett

Info update

A “12V Battery Needs Service” message appeared about a month ago, and I was considering replacing the battery myself while waiting for Tesla inventory stock of these batteries to become available. Last week, my issue was resolved when the service center determined that the message was in error, so no replacement was needed. I did learn that according to the service center, there is a setting in the Tesla software that needs to be reset when the battery is replaced, only accessible by service techs in Service mode, so I’ll likely not try this install myself in the future. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Oliver Barrett

As far as resetting the battery goes all I did was reset the computer (hold the two buttons on the steering wheel about 10 seconds) and the error went away after the battery change.

Mat300z,
Thank you for the info! I gather that you did a full vehicle shutdown before starting the install (power off button in the e-brake/park screen)?

No I did not..I disconnected the battery and the first responder loop as per the directions given by gruber. Then did a reset of the computer when I was all done. The battery error message went away with the reset and so far the car has been fine.

My car is a 14 with 78,000 miles now so it was definitely due for a new battery. I can probably do the job in 30 minutes now but the first time took me 2.5 hours. It was not fun.