Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C in position 8 of VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my VIN for a M3 stealth. The VIN that I received has a “C” in position 8. The VIN decoder says:

Motor/Drive Unit C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40 kWh)

Does this look correct? Doesn’t even mention Dual Motor or Performance

I talked to my insurance and had them give me a quote. For the same coverage as I currently have for my 2005 Mazda rx8 it is $70/6mo more expensive, so $12/mo. For me that is $110/mo

You going to carry the same coverage on a brand new tesla as your 2005 mazda? If so, its likely you will either be under insuring the tesla, or were likely over insuring the mazda, based on its worth. and year.

You going to carry the same coverage on a brand new tesla as your 2005 mazda? If so, its likely you will either be under insuring the tesla, or were likely over insuring the mazda, based on its worth. and year.
I don't know how your insurance works, but with mine you just tell them the vehicle and they set the prices. I am keeping the same $500 deductible, but the insurance covers everything after that.

I don't need gap coverage since I am putting 20% down, but I did have, and am keeping, the +20% over kbb value paid to me if it gets totaled. All of the other options are liability and stuff that doesn't change from car to car.

I don't know how your insurance works, but with mine you just tell them the vehicle and they set the prices. I am keeping the same $500 deductible, but the insurance covers everything after that.

I don't need gap coverage since I am putting 20% down, but I did have, and am keeping, the +20% over kbb value paid to me if it gets totaled. All of the other options are liability and stuff that doesn't change from car to car.

I had a bunch of stuff typed out here but took it out because its not a thread on insurance. I would just tell you that you should look at the policy and see what the various coverage levels for the various coverages inside your policy are.

Reactions: dmurphy
I had a bunch of stuff typed out here but took it out because its not a thread on insurance. I would just tell you that you should look at the policy and see what the various coverage levels for the various coverages inside your policy are.

Are you suggesting if you own an older car, you don't need the same level of liability coverage or property damage insurance? Comprehensive and collision coverage is calculated on the cost to repair with an upper limit of the value of the car (in which case they would just declare it a Total Loss). The value of the car can get so low that even a minor accident will result in a Total Loss so you could just waive that coverage all together and just take your chances but your premiums for comprehensive/collision would already be minimal.

Are you suggesting if you own an older car, you don't need the same level of liability coverage or property damage insurance? Comprehensive and collision coverage is calculated on the cost to repair with an upper limit of the value of the car (in which case they would just declare it a Total Loss). The value of the car can get so low that even a minor accident will result in a Total Loss so you could just waive that coverage all together and just take your chances but your premiums for comprehensive/collision would already be minimal.

Im suggesting the bolded part. I find it surprising that "the same coverage as I had on the mazda" would only be $12 more a month for a car worth as much as any new tesla is, vs how much a 2005 mazda would be worth. In effect, @Solmors is saying that, for $12 more a month he can insure a car that costs at least 36k as one that is worth about 3-4k. What I was saying is, if I had a car worth 3-4K I would not be carrying collision, which is typically one of the more expensive coverages. I would definitely carry liability and likely comprehensive. On a new tesla, I am absolutely carrying collision.

Shrug... like I said this is not an insurance discussion so I was trying to get out of that part of this discussion in deference to the OP of this thread.

Im suggesting the bolded part. I find it surprising that "the same coverage as I had on the mazda" would only be $12 more a month for a car worth as much as any new tesla is, vs how much a 2005 mazda would be worth. In effect, @Solmors is saying that, for $12 more a month he can insure a car that costs at least 36k as one that is worth about 3-4k. What I was saying is, if I had a car worth 3-4K I would not be carrying collision, which is typically one of the more expensive coverages. I would definitely carry liability and likely comprehensive. On a new tesla, I am absolutely carrying collision.

Shrug... like I said this is not an insurance discussion so I was trying to get out of that part of this discussion in deference to the OP of this thread.
Ahh that's why then. I do have collision coverage on my mazda rx-8, even though its value is only ~$5k now.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just picked up my 2020 Model 3 Performance in Red Multi Coat
The VIN has a C as the 8th digit

look here https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c646fbf1-8ba5-4575-af1e-f415a1131337

Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit

1= Single Motor – Standard (Designated for Model S)

3= Single Motor – Performance (Designated for Model S)

2 = Dual Motor (standard) (Designated for Model S & Model X)

4 = Dual Motor (performance) (Designated for Model S & Model X)

A= Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)

B = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)

C = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model 3)