TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

C-Net Article, "Dear California ja.."

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by InsaneDriver, Jun 6, 2016.

1. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Miami, FL
    'Dear California jackhole...': Tesla driver publicly shamed for parking across three Supercharger spots - Roadshow

Did anyone catch this article published today?

Maybe I am just too nice but sure seems to me (right or wrong) that this driver did the only they could do while on a road trip to allow themselves to be able to recharge. The supercharger cables are way too short to begin with. Then add on the bike rack (appears to be a Tesla Brand) with a bike and there is no-way you can back in close enough to recharge. If you are on a road trip I am not sure you could just take the bike off, remove the rack and back in. What do you do with the bike and rack? I guess you could remove everything, sit next to the vehicle for 40 minutes and then reassemble and move on? Seems like a pickle, article doesn't say if the owner was in attendance or not. One would hope they were in proximity.

Anyhow, maybe something for Tesla to think about with the design evolution of the SCs.
  2. deonb

deonb Active Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Redmond, WA
  3. McRat

McRat Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Norco, CA
    Who would have ever imagined that a front end charging port would ever be handy?

Anyhow the driver is a jerk. If you are towing a trailer, and it your rig won't fit in one piece, you disconnect and park that way. It's a serious PITA. Removing a bicycle? You must be joking. How can you ever get that lazy where you can't expend 20 calories removing your exercise equipment?
  4. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Apr 3, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    I think the OP raises a good point. Removing the bike is not too difficult, removing the bike and rack is a PITA. The SC cords are short. We may be giving the MX way too much "benefit of the doubt", but the OP raises a plausible scenario.
  5. CatB

CatB Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Plus, removing a bike, and a rack and then having to figure out where/how to lock them both up so they don't get stolen while you're charging is even more of a PITA. Would have been nice to leave a note with phone number just in case all the spots got filled up.
    • Helpful x 1
  6. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Houston TX
    If the paired stalls are adjacent (a big IF, I know), it might be possible to back in diagonally and charge on the stall paired with the blocked wasted stall.
    This would be a lesser sin than blocking three stalls. The blocked stall would be the least desirable due to pairing anyway.

Not sure if the geometry works out but it was a thought I had.

IN-ter-es-ting times we live in! New social rules being written while we watch...
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Mateo, CA
    That X owner should have stayed with his vehicle while charging and moved it if others needed access to the stalls he was not plugged into.
    • Like x 1
  8. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    The driver didn't stay with their vehicle. If they had, I don't think anyone would have cared too much. As long as you stay with the vehicle and are prepared to move it if someone needs the spot you're blocking then it's fine, but if you leave your car like that, people are going to get upset.

I also wonder if this was really necessary here. Obviously with a trailer it would be, but a bike rack may still work the normal way. Supercharger cables are short, but there's still a bit of margin.
    • Like x 2
  9. snellenr

snellenr Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Looks like there was plenty of room to back in and still hook up - the side view shows that the parking signs are well behind the stops, leaving room for the bike & rack.