TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CA AB 475 Allow ticketing of vehicles not connected to chargers

Discussion in 'North America' started by jaanton, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

So almost law in CA is a bill AB 475 which will allow ticketing of cars parked at chargers but not connected to chargers. I think this is a bad bill because anyone can disconnect a car and subject you to ticketing and towing. It seems to me a ticket is adding insult to injury if someone tampers with your charging car. And given the newness of this stuff, curious people may just screw you. Also, this prevents sharing of chargers as unplugging someone else's car once it's done charging will subject them to ticketing.

Seems like a well intentioned but bad law.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Who supported this bill? Another revenue generator for the county?

3. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

Calling my reps office, they say the EVA, GM and others support it. Plug-in-America originally supported it but withdrew support once it learned of a Jun 21 amendment. My reps office said the GGEVA (Golden Gate Electric Vehicle Association) was still supporting it after this amendment. Waiting for the Assembly to concur with the amendment for final passage.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

This has been a hot topic the past few days.
    Check out the thread on mynissanleaf.com:
    My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - CA AB475 requires connection to the EVSE to avoid cite/tow
    Also, evchel's blog:
    GM to CA Volt drivers: evchels

Another concern - it doesn't really qualify "charging". A bit extreme, but it was mentioned that someone could put a 12V battery tender on their aux battery of their ICE car and say that they were charging their battery. If the law is changed to no longer just allow 100% BEVs, someone could argue that any ICE is a battery/electric hybrid. It does have a 12V battery, and a starter motor that can propel the car (at ~1mph for 50 feet)... Sigh.

5. doug

Like the EV noisemaker legislation, this seems like a solution in search of a problem, or at the very least rather premature. Despite anecdotes about being ICEd or even blocked by incompatible plug-ins, not every problem requires a law to fix it. As has already been discussed in many places, charger placement and driver etiquette education can go along way to mitigating this problem. Of course the politicians want to look like they're being helpful, but very few situations are helped when a cop shows up ready to write a ticket.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Conspiratorial hat says GM is trying to do work to slow down charging infrastructure. With gas backup a Volt needs no plugs.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Just jumped as a news story:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/1775575/gm-sponsors-bill-that-could-create-problems-for-electric-car-owners?partner=gnews

F
    or those of you out of California, be aware that your state will probably copy this dumb law. It should be Veto'd.

It says that you will be ticketed/towed if you are not charging while in an EV space.
    That means.
    If your charge finishes you will be towed.
    If someone flips your plug switch you will be towed.
    If someone unplugs you (with your permission) to plug in their car, you will be towed.
    If someone disconnects you and puts up the cable to do you a favor* you will be towed.

*Columb bills you as long as you are plugged in, not by how long you are actually charging. Dr Computer tells of the parking attendants in one building adopting this "helpful" practice.

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I had the following sign made in anticipation!
    TC27244095-14.gif

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    Plug In America Action Alert: Urge Gov. Brown to Veto Misguided Plug-in Parking Bill - AB475
    I emphasized the "make sure existing Chevy Volts were included"... Does the bill do something that would not permit 2011s, but would permit 2012s?

14. doug

So Volts seem to be having no problem using public charging....
    What was the purpose of this legislation again?

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#17 TEG, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah, hardly any of the public charge spots were signed and enforced for the old law, so the Volt was pulling right up unhindered.
    I heard that GM was worried that ZEV-owners might unplug the Volts, but in fact (in the case of the photo there), I used my ChargePass card to activate the ChargePoint for the Volt owner since they hadn't signed up yet.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#19 TEG, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    parking_Controversy

17. doug

Any indication as to whether or not Brown is getting the message? You'd think it would be pretty cut and dried that a bill purported to help the EV community, and yet is unwanted by that same community should be killed.