Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA carpool sticker -- Best to order in November for 2021?

noshadow

Mar 18, 2020
Berkeley, CA
Earlier this year, I was asking about the California carpool/hov stickers, and a lot of people suggested applying in November so that it would arrive in January 2021 and maximize the period that it would be effective for.

Is this still the case? Should I get ready to apply for it Nov 1?

Reactions: captanzuelo

dgstan

Jun 28, 2018
Campbell, CA
Two years ago, with my Model 3, I didn't mail my application until Jan. 1. I wouldn't want to give the DMV the ability to send me the previous year's sticker. I don't know their procedure (i.e. do they go by postmark?), but I know the DMV will, given the opportunity, screw up and there is little to no recourse.

Gizmotoy

Sep 16, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Waiting for Jan 1 here as well. Don't want to risk losing basically a whole year by having it issued late December or something. Plus traffic has been light due to COVID, so it's not quite as crucial right now.

jf64k

May 9, 2020
Los Angeles
Interesting, someone had told me 2 months would be perfect, but I'm in no rush, I guess I should just wait to be sure.

The way I look at it:

- If you mail close to and before 12/31/20, you’ll PROBABLY get the 2021-issued stickers, but MAYBE not. We all know the Cal DMV moves in mysterious ways, haha!!
- If you mail 01/01/21, you’ll DEFINITELY get the 2021-issued stickers.

I’m not in a rush either (but I’m bummed I’m missing out on the orange stickers, since they match my calipers, haha!!) so I figure I might as well be sure. I’m hoping for blue (to go with the blue sparkles in my MSM paint). :D

bpon89

Jul 21, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
The way I look at it:

- If you mail close to and before 12/31/20, you’ll PROBABLY get the 2021-issued stickers, but MAYBE not. We all know the Cal DMV moves in mysterious ways, haha!!
- If you mail 01/01/21, you’ll DEFINITELY get the 2021-issued stickers.

I’m not in a rush either (but I’m bummed I’m missing out on the orange stickers, since they match my calipers, haha!!) so I figure I might as well be sure. I’m hoping for blue (to go with the blue sparkles in my MSM paint). :D

So far there was green, red, purple, and orange. I was guessing 2021 would be blue! I guess that's a good idea once the sticker goes on gotta get matching calipers.

Last edited:

dgstan

Jun 28, 2018
Campbell, CA
So far there was green, red, purple, and orange. I was guessing 2021 would be blue! I guess that's a good idea once the sticker goes on gotta get matching calipers.
You would have thought they's match the registration sticker colors. Blue, green, red, orange, white, and yellow. But they don't. I would expect blue for next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was pink or chartreuse.

There was nothing uglier than that purple on a red Tesla. My car's white, so I don't really care.

Reactions: noshadow

noshadow

Mar 18, 2020
Berkeley, CA
I guess we'll all be waiting for the sticker color before painting our calipers haha. I guess the red ones are not coming back, so it'll be a repaint ;)

I'm planning on getting those magnet backing so I don't have to sticker them on... I'm thinking that's not entirely legit, but I am 100% only going to use them once in a while. Anyone else know about those magnetic backings?

SDM44

Aug 9, 2019
Los Angeles
Back in March 2019 when the CA DMV changed to the orange color stickers. People who had their applications approved & checks cashed in January & February of 2019 received the purple stickers. I remember seeing this on both the Model 3 FB group and the i3 SoCal FB group. But I believe those same people were able to re-apply later (and pay $38 again) to get the orange stickers.

With CA's DMV, there's no rhyme or reason to what they do.

Gizmotoy

Sep 16, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Back in March 2019 when the CA DMV changed to the orange color stickers. People who had their applications approved & checks cashed in January & February of 2019 received the purple stickers. I remember seeing this on both the Model 3 FB group and the i3 SoCal FB group. But I believe those same people were able to re-apply later (and pay $38 again) to get the orange stickers.

With CA's DMV, there's no rhyme or reason to what they do.
For maximum confusion, that was a one-time thing. If you get 2021 stickers, they're good until Jan 2025. The sticker program ends completely Sept 2025.

Reactions: cwerdna

mnsweeps

Aug 3, 2019
Los Angeles
I thought you need permanent registration card copies from DMV before you apply for HOV lane sticker. Isn't that still true? I picked my car on 10/28 so my registration papers are still a few weeks away to come in mail.

Laguna M3

Apr 11, 2020
Laguna Niguel, CA
We are two months away from 2021. Why risk missing out on a whole year just to get a two month head start? Make it four of us, mailing out on Jan 1st

Not to mention that a buddy of mine with a Model 3 drove in the HOV lane for months before he even applied for the stickers. I wonder if CHP sees a Tesla and doesn't even look for the sticker. He may have just gotten lucky as well.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC