Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA carpool sticker -- Best to order in November for 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this year, I was asking about the California carpool/hov stickers, and a lot of people suggested applying in November so that it would arrive in January 2021 and maximize the period that it would be effective for.

Is this still the case? Should I get ready to apply for it Nov 1?

Reactions: captanzuelo
Interesting, someone had told me 2 months would be perfect, but I'm in no rush, I guess I should just wait to be sure.

The way I look at it:

- If you mail close to and before 12/31/20, you’ll PROBABLY get the 2021-issued stickers, but MAYBE not. We all know the Cal DMV moves in mysterious ways, haha!!
- If you mail 01/01/21, you’ll DEFINITELY get the 2021-issued stickers.

I’m not in a rush either (but I’m bummed I’m missing out on the orange stickers, since they match my calipers, haha!!) so I figure I might as well be sure. I’m hoping for blue (to go with the blue sparkles in my MSM paint). :D

The way I look at it:

- If you mail close to and before 12/31/20, you’ll PROBABLY get the 2021-issued stickers, but MAYBE not. We all know the Cal DMV moves in mysterious ways, haha!!
- If you mail 01/01/21, you’ll DEFINITELY get the 2021-issued stickers.

I’m not in a rush either (but I’m bummed I’m missing out on the orange stickers, since they match my calipers, haha!!) so I figure I might as well be sure. I’m hoping for blue (to go with the blue sparkles in my MSM paint). :D

So far there was green, red, purple, and orange. I was guessing 2021 would be blue! I guess that's a good idea once the sticker goes on gotta get matching calipers.

Last edited:
So far there was green, red, purple, and orange. I was guessing 2021 would be blue! I guess that's a good idea once the sticker goes on gotta get matching calipers.
You would have thought they's match the registration sticker colors. Blue, green, red, orange, white, and yellow. But they don't. I would expect blue for next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was pink or chartreuse.

There was nothing uglier than that purple on a red Tesla. My car's white, so I don't really care.

Reactions: noshadow
I guess we'll all be waiting for the sticker color before painting our calipers haha. I guess the red ones are not coming back, so it'll be a repaint ;)

I'm planning on getting those magnet backing so I don't have to sticker them on... I'm thinking that's not entirely legit, but I am 100% only going to use them once in a while. Anyone else know about those magnetic backings?

Back in March 2019 when the CA DMV changed to the orange color stickers. People who had their applications approved & checks cashed in January & February of 2019 received the purple stickers. I remember seeing this on both the Model 3 FB group and the i3 SoCal FB group. But I believe those same people were able to re-apply later (and pay $38 again) to get the orange stickers.

With CA's DMV, there's no rhyme or reason to what they do.

Back in March 2019 when the CA DMV changed to the orange color stickers. People who had their applications approved & checks cashed in January & February of 2019 received the purple stickers. I remember seeing this on both the Model 3 FB group and the i3 SoCal FB group. But I believe those same people were able to re-apply later (and pay $38 again) to get the orange stickers.

With CA's DMV, there's no rhyme or reason to what they do.
For maximum confusion, that was a one-time thing. If you get 2021 stickers, they're good until Jan 2025. The sticker program ends completely Sept 2025.

Reactions: cwerdna
We are two months away from 2021. Why risk missing out on a whole year just to get a two month head start? Make it four of us, mailing out on Jan 1st

Not to mention that a buddy of mine with a Model 3 drove in the HOV lane for months before he even applied for the stickers. I wonder if CHP sees a Tesla and doesn't even look for the sticker. He may have just gotten lucky as well.