Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA carpool sticker -- Best to order in November for 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hearing about all these delays, I'm wondering if I'm better off submitting the application towards the end of this year. I'm still waiting for my plates, so it's probably going to be 4 months out for me, which pushes me into August. Seems like it would be safe to submit it towards the end of November to get something issued in January/February.

Seems like it's just about exactly 3 months +/- 5 days. Long time to wait for stickers if you are stuck in stop and go traffic and you see the HOV lane just moving along.

Early November seems like the right time frame. Just not too early where you get last year's stickers.

Received them today as well. Ignored the placement instructions and installed them the same as in 2019 (small decals, one right on front bumper, and one right on rear bumper). Installing two of these on the front bumper doesn't make any sense to me as you can't tell if the car has HOV decals from the rear.

Received them today as well. Ignored the placement instructions and installed them the same as in 2019 (small decals, one right on front bumper, and one right on rear bumper). Installing two of these on the front bumper doesn't make any sense to me as you can't tell if the car has HOV decals from the rear.
Yay, also mailed on 1/2 and got my stickers on Friday. I only placed the 2 in the back and nothing in the front. I can see a situation where I would get pulled over for not having it in the front which was one time hopping on the carpool ramp where the cop was in front of me. But I'd say 95% of the time they should be looking at the rear passenger side. The left driver side is just the wall.

I put them per the instructions, which were different than the ones in my 2017 car. You can see them from the rear if you put them in the quarter panels. The front ones aren't too bad by the air dam intakes. Since they are small... Still hate the damn things, I put them on some PPF, should make removing them later easier.

I put them per the instructions, which were different than the ones in my 2017 car. You can see them from the rear if you put them in the quarter panels. The front ones aren't too bad by the air dam intakes. Since they are small... Still hate the damn things, I put them on some PPF, should make removing them later easier.
Yea there are 3 stickers in the older instructions on placement. But now in the rear there are only 2 which is much better. I also put them on the ppf ordered at RPM Tesla.

I mailed mine out on 1/8, and it arrived on 1/10. Check hasn't been cashed yet, but then I'm not in any hurry since I sold my Model 3 and still waiting on a Model Y that should've been delivered 3 weeks ago.
The stickers are vehicle/VIN specific. Are you planning on just applying them to your MY from the application for your M3? You need to have your license plate/registration I believe to apply for the HOV stickers, so there is usually a delay between vehicle purchase and being able to apply for them.

Once a car has the HOV stickers they cannot get another set. So the buyer of your old car may apply for the HOV stickers and get denied even if you never had installed them on the car. Just an FYI...

The stickers are vehicle/VIN specific. Are you planning on just applying them to your MY from the application for your M3? You need to have your license plate/registration I believe to apply for the HOV stickers, so there is usually a delay between vehicle purchase and being able to apply for them.

Once a car has the HOV stickers they cannot get another set. So the buyer of your old car may apply for the HOV stickers and get denied even if you never had installed them on the car. Just an FYI...
I believe that there is a low income exemption so that someone buying a used vehicle can get new stickers for it