Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA carpool sticker -- Best to order in November for 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess we'll all be waiting for the sticker color before painting our calipers haha. I guess the red ones are not coming back, so it'll be a repaint ;)

I'm planning on getting those magnet backing so I don't have to sticker them on... I'm thinking that's not entirely legit, but I am 100% only going to use them once in a while. Anyone else know about those magnetic backings?

i use the PPF. It’s removable as well and less likely to come off or be stolen.

Which is fascinating, because back in the day Toyota dealers were selling Plug-in-Priuses with the sticker on delivery (and no permanent plate!). How they got away with that but Tesla couldn't is one of those unsolved mysteries. :rolleyes:

The fact that the Plug-in Prius was even allowed to have the stickers was a crime. It could go, what, 12 miles on electric only?

• Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
Which is fascinating, because back in the day Toyota dealers were selling Plug-in-Priuses with the sticker on delivery (and no permanent plate!). How they got away with that but Tesla couldn't is one of those unsolved mysteries. :rolleyes:

They used to be attached to the VIN. The dealer practice of jacking up the price because it had a HOV sticker is probably why the DMV stopped doing it that way. Also, Tesla isn't really a dealer.

The fact that the Plug-in Prius was even allowed to have the stickers was a crime. It could go, what, 12 miles on electric only?

The significant other refused to all electric on the car so it ended up being the Audi A3 E-Tron Sportback.

It only gets 20. And the engine doesn’t even recharge the battery. It does however have regen braking but that adds nothing to the battery.

I'm planning on getting those magnet backing so I don't have to sticker them on... I'm thinking that's not entirely legit, but I am 100% only going to use them once in a while. Anyone else know about those magnetic backings?

Way back in 2005, when the CADMV started the carpool stickers, I looked into using magnetic backing. I went to a couple craft stores, but never found anything that I felt was strong enough. The magnetic layer was too weak to give me any confidence that it wouldn't fall off due to wind/rain/bumps, etc. Obviously, this was 15 years ago and maybe now they make backing that uses much stronger magnets.

I ended up putting the two smaller stickers in the rear windows (one side and one back) and have done so with every carpool sticker I've had (yellow, green, purple). I never used the larger ones, so I have two leftover of each color.

Originally there were 3 different programs, each with their own sticker color; Hybrid, Electric and natural gas. The idea was to promote higher-mileage but more expensive cars.

The original Prius was allowed in as a hybrid and the plug-in followed in those footsteps.

Originally there were 3 different programs, each with their own sticker color; Hybrid, Electric and natural gas. The idea was to promote higher-mileage but more expensive cars.

The original Prius was allowed in as a hybrid and the plug-in followed in those footsteps.

Oh, I know the deal. I had a 2004 Civic Hybrid with the yellow sticker which cars could only qualify for if they got a certain MPG (45?). But when the came out with the green sticker, I thought it was a joke that the Prius was allowed to qualify. They should have put a mileage restriction on that one but as long as it plugged in, it qualified.

How is everyone paying the 22 by mail? I don't have personal checks. would money order work? or have to go cashiers check?

I don't use check's either and didn't want to open a checking account. My Fidelity mutual fund offers free checks though. So I transferred $22 from my bank account to my brokerage account and they next day aired me a stack of free check to draw from the cash account of my account.

Oh man. Do you member Prius people we're modding their cars to make their own plug in versions before Toyota officialy started offering.

Oh, I know the deal. I had a 2004 Civic Hybrid with the yellow sticker which cars could only qualify for if they got a certain MPG (45?). But when the came out with the green sticker, I thought it was a joke that the Prius was allowed to qualify. They should have put a mileage restriction on that one but as long as it plugged in, it qualified.
I used to get 1800 miles per tank out of my Plug-in Prius. Was it ok if I drove in the carpool lanes?