Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA CAV HOV Lane Decal - Wait times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked on the DMV website but cannot find an answer to this. Can we apply using the temporary license plate that was issued to us? Or should we all be waiting for our permanent plates to arrive?

Buried in the FAQ it implies you need your regular plates. I was going to apply yesterday but I guess I’ll just wait. I don’t know how long it takes to get plates right now.

I finally received the plates Tesla ordered for me back in October. I also have the new black/yellow plates on the way. I wonder if I can apply using the current plates, or have to wait for the new ones? This doesn't seem to be covered in the FAQ. Anyone know?

Edit: Actually, there's an "update" information checkbox on the form. So I guess I can apply now, but will need to resubmit the form later to get an updated ID card.

I finally received the plates Tesla ordered for me back in October. I also have the new black/yellow plates on the way. I wonder if I can apply using the current plates, or have to wait for the new ones? This doesn't seem to be covered in the FAQ. Anyone know?

Edit: Actually, there's an "update" information checkbox on the form. So I guess I can apply now, but will need to resubmit the form later to get an updated ID card.

Yes, apply with the plates you have now. Once you get you new plates, just submit an update. I’ve done that before. Easy.

• Informative
Reactions: Gizmotoy