Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA CVRP Income limits take effect for any purchase on/after Mar. 29th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are a CA resident and are affected by the income limits and have an option to take delivery on or before March 28, do it. CVRP defines purchase as just that, you have actually paid for it. There has been some confusion about what constitutes a purchase, it is NOT simply having a purchase agreement.

Right, but that page just says "purchases or leases a vehicle" before the cutoff date. It does not define the criteria for that. My DS says it's the date that the order terms were accepted (when I confirmed the config). Mike_F above says that it is when you have paid for the vehicle. I am looking for an official source for the definition.

Having spoken to the California EV rebate program people directly on this issue, there are sample documents on their web site. Tesla has its own category for sample documents, apparently recognizing that you don't just go to the lot and take home a car. The purchase order date may be the controlling date. My DS was sure the confirmation date was controlling. I even asked if I could take care of the paperwork now, to be sure the date on it would meet the requirements even if my car wasn't quite ready yet. I was told the paperwork would happen at delivery.

My conclusion is that, at this point, so late in March, there is really nothing anyone can do to speed up their delivery to make the cutoff on the 28th and the information available is murky, but promising. My thought would be to take delivery by the 28th, if possible, and if not, talk to the California EV rebate people to see what documentation could point to a pre-expiration date.

The rebate application does not need to be filled out immediately, so I don't think the registration date is quite as important an issue. There is also the requirement that you own the car for 30 months. Clearly, that is not going to happen before March 28, 2016.

The "own for 30-month" thing doesn't mean you have to own it for 30 months before March 28th, 2016, just that you have to retain ownership of the car for a minimum of 30 months after purchase, or CVRP will knock down your doors and take their $2500 back.

I'm told to expect my vehicle by the end of the month, but that is also what everyone else is being told too, so I have my doubts that will actually happen. The good news is that I think Tesla is trying to get around this issue a bit by having customers DocuSign a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement before actually picking up the car. I have already signed mine as of 2016/03/18, and it also includes the downpayment / configuration date of 2015/12/29. I'm thinking that they sent these out ahead of picking up the car so that it meets the 2016/03/29 deadline, even if you take delivery after that. I haven't paid for the car yet, but the purchase agreement appears to be complete.

• Informative
Reactions: drewmcmanus