Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA DMV failing Tesla car for behind the wheel drive test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've often heard that that's the best kind of correct.

reminds me of my 'driver simulation' back in the late 70's. our highschool had these trailer things that we had to sit in and 'drive a car'. funny to think how bad they were, compared to what could be in use, today.
Sounds exactly like the driver ed I received in '73 at Mountain View High; the one that used to be on Castro Street and not the former Awalt High.

Technically the examiner is probably correct. There's no guarantee that the OP's daughter is going to be driving a Tesla forever. What happens if she decides or is forced to drive an ICE?
how about all the millions of drivers that take their test in an automatic and then go out on public roads and try to drive a stick shift, incredibly dangerous and frankly bizarre that it's allowed. In UK if you take a test on an automatic, you can only drive automatic. Changing gear in a manual car is far harder and more dangerous, than getting used to a slightly different braking system.

how about all the millions of drivers that take their test in an automatic and then go out on public roads and try to drive a stick shift, incredibly dangerous and frankly bizarre that it's allowed. In UK if you take a test on an automatic, you can only drive automatic. Changing gear in a manual car is far harder and more dangerous, than getting used to a slightly different braking system.

There are probably very few people who attempt to drive a stick that dont know how to drive one, at this point. its definitely a dying thing.

That's the equivalent of failing someone for using "engine braking" with a manual /stick shift (which is the correct and best way to brake, especially on a hill). Ridiculous. Just because you are not using the brake pedal doesn't mean you are not in control of how the car is slowing down.
How about big rig trucks using jake braking. Seems similar to me.

There are probably very few people who attempt to drive a stick that dont know how to drive one, at this point. its definitely a dying thing.
The only times I have seen someone who does not know how to drive a stick trying to drive a stick shift was on Amazing Race! I guess it could happen if you rented a car in Europe and they only have stick shift available...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

That’s true, though there are a few that do want to learn. A few years ago, my daughter got her license and really wanted to learn, but the only car I had with a manual transmission was my old Ferrari. What else could I do:

D2B946B1-59FB-430F-A8BB-17B98CDFD955.jpeg

Both daughters, when they were just learning to drive, wanted to practice driving in my BMW 323i 5-speed. I told them it was going to be hard enough remembering the rules-of-the-road and paying strict attention to what's going on on the other side of the windows, than to try to develop the dexterity with the clutch, gas, brake and stick shift at the same time. I wanted them to be totally comfortable with driving around in traffic, for it to be second nature, before I let them drive my car. It's how I was taught.

Fortunately living here in suburban San Jose we don't have too many of the steep hills like say in San Francisco. But we do have metered freeway on ramps, where often it's one of the "cloverleafs" or it's a straight road but with an incline. If you're not familiar with the concept, it's a stop light at the end of the on ramp, just before you get onto the freeway. Most operate only during commute hours (AM and PM) and are usually signed saying one car through for each green light. It's done to prevent a mass of cars trying to get onto an already crowded freeway. Some people don't leave much room between their front bumper and the car ahead; i.e. tailgating. Either they are Type A personalities or they don't think about what's going on around them (busy checking their phone or actually talking or texting on it). Tailgating is especially problematic if they do this to a novice driver with a stick on a hill.

It turned out that both daughters lost interest in driving my BMW soon after they got their license. I did have them drive my car a couple of times around the neighborhood just for exposure to the experience. We did it late at night with minimal traffic on the streets. They picked it up fairly quickly but stalls and gnashing gears was the norm at first.

I’d love to see someone take their DMV exam in a new Model S with the Yoke steering wheel and no stalks!

My wife took her exam in my Model 3 when turned 18 and the instructor had no problem with it. They did ask to clarify some things like the parking brake, but it was perfectly fine overall.
Wait, what? Your wife took her exam in your 3 when she turned 18?

My daughter is in the same boat! She didn't pass because of the "braking feature". "Automated technology is not allowed in a driving test."
Wish I read your post before. It's ridiculous.... At least post something on the website about this.

My daughter is in the same boat! She didn't pass because of the "braking feature". "Automated technology is not allowed in a driving test."
Wish I read your post before. It's ridiculous.... At least post something on the website about this.

...for "Mechanical Failure"...

Can you go to where @Pkmmte did as the Tesla Model S Plaid went "perfectly fine overall."

I took my daughter this morning for her behind the wheel drive test at the DMV office in our Model 3. She was failed for "Mechanical Failure". According to the examiner, because of the regenerative braking which she was calling "auto braking". She was failed just because it was a Tesla and has regenerative braking. According to the examiner the car is braking by itself and therefore my daughter was failed for "Mechanical Failure". I got into a heated argument explaining that all electric cars have regenerative braking .....it is not "auto braking". This is ridiculous has anyone else run into this issue. This is idiotic....

How did the examiner know your daughter was not using the brake pedal? Did the examiner closely watched her feet moving? Wouldn't it be then the case with prejudice?

time to rent a toyota prius for the next driving test
My daughter drives, and passed the driver's test in a Honda Accord Hybrid, which also has regenerative braking. Regen braking argument is really stupid considering the number of cars that use it now. And the hold at stop function works on many ICE cars such as BMW for example.

Wait, what? Your wife took her exam in your 3 when she turned 18?
Yes, and the DMV had no problem with her using full regen. The instructor also asked about things like the glove box and locks being operated from the screen. This was back the Model 3 was relatively new to the streets.

We got married shortly after her turning 18, not before, in case my wording was confusing…

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and hcdavis3
Maybe you and OP went to the same DMV! Either the guy just fails all the Tesla before you even take the test, or if the braking is too rough, he will intervene. And anytime an examiner has to intervene for any reason, it is an automictic fail. And if you try to tell him that you have no control over the "roughness" of the braking because it is regen braking, then he will just fail you for "automated tech used".

Question really is, if you turn on creep, would that be good enough? With creep you don't really have to charge to 100% to turn off regen braking. The full regen braking with creep on is actually like a trained driver braking smoothly and then at the end you just need to ease on to the brake for the complete stop.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve