Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA DMV failing Tesla car for behind the wheel drive test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have the means, I'd sue over this. I'm not normally one to jump to that, but this is clearly a case of an examiner making up her own rules.

But most of us don't have the means. Even if you win it's going to cost you a lot of money that you almost certainly won't get back. Even if you win and are awarded attorney fees it will be years before you ever get them, if they ever do pay them. After all, if they don't pay your only option is to sue again for them, which means more money spent by you.

So unfortunately this just means, take the test again, in the Tesla even, and hope for a different and less idiotic examiner, or take it in an ICE car and still hope for a less idiotic examiner because this lady will just find some other made up reason to fail them in another car.

@Johnny Vector Sorry about that, break did look weird to me. Just a brain fart :)
:) It's becoming an easier mistake to make every day, because more and more people keep making it. Eventually it will probably become so common that it will show up as an alternate spelling in dictionaries, and I'll just have to accept it. Doesn't mean I won't grumble about it though. Durn kids...

Ah well, as John Ciardi used to say, "Language works the way it does because it does."

Reactions: pilotSteve
How much does this upset you and your child. If so, fight it. You said you talk to the examiner manager. They backed up the examiner. It won't be in any law. It will be in the DMV procedures. I would contact your state house representative. Also contact the State DMV not the local office. At the end of the day. Do you want to complain or get your child a Drivers license. The examination is very subjective. The examiners can flunk about anyone for anything.

Reactions: FlatSix911
If you have the means, I'd sue over this. I'm not normally one to jump to that, but this is clearly a case of an examiner making up her own rules.
Woah there. Im sure they can get another car or rent one to pass and be on there way. Give people a little slack who are following constantly changing rules and regs. It sucks, im sure its the most devastating to the young driver, but there is value in learning brake application especially at high speeds and emergency situations.

...should be prepared to drive a car without that assistance. She kept saying how her 2016 Jeep didn't do that. I think this is just a case where the law is behind technology. In California they won't sell gas cars in 2035 so I imagine by then everyone will be used to regenerative breaking...

I think the DMV is wrong.

There are still 40 new 2021 car models that are still sold with manual transmission.

Automatic Transmission is an assistive technology that DMV was not hesitant to adapt.

Like Automatic Transmission, it should now adapt to regenerative braking.

I can still remember over 50 years ago when I was 16. The big FAIL item on TX DMV test was parallel parking. Everyone had big/long cars. My Dad had a Cadillac also a karmann ghia. So my choice was a BIG/LONG automatic or a small manual trans car. Used the Ghia and no sweat. Passed easily. In TX, the examier as a Texas Highway Patrol Officers. They were cool. Also, said at the end: "Drive just like you did, so I don't have to stop you".

Today, most cars now park for you.

How much does this upset you and your child. If so, fight it. You said you talk to the examiner manager. They backed up the examiner. It won't be in any law. It will be in the DMV procedures. I would contact your state house representative. Also contact the State DMV not the local office. At the end of the day. Do you want to complain or get your child a Drivers license. The examination is very subjective. The examiners can flunk about anyone for anything.
I sympathize because I flunked the first time for entering the DMV parking lot too slowly at the end of the test, causing someone to have to anticipate changing their speed.

But no way my dad would have done anything about it, in fact I would not at all be surprised to hear he had slipped them some money to flunk me. It did humble me and learn not to take the test for granted, regardless of the slightly flimsy reason they gave.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Typical low paid employee, unable to separate the end result from the method. As the man said, what would he do if one were to use manual downshift braking? Someone needs to speak to his supervisor. Obviously a Semi doesn't drive like a motorcycle, both of which are used for licensing at CA DMVs. Teslas are just another type of car. Get used to it before all the ICEs are gone.

Typical low paid employee, unable to separate the end result from the method. As the man said, what would he do if one were to use manual downshift braking? Someone needs to speak to his supervisor. Obviously a Semi doesn't drive like a motorcycle, both of which are used for licensing at CA DMVs. Teslas are just another type of car. Get used to it before all the ICEs are gone.
DMV employees are clearly not selected for their cognitive abilities and critical thinking. ;)

It seems the examiner was unhappy with the rapid deceleration typical with regen-braking.
Daughter explained this, but nonetheless, ride was too harsh for comfort.
She did not fail because of "auto-braking", even though that was the reason given.
She failed because the ride was too rough.

Try again with 100% battery so there is no regen-braking.
Or better, lightly taper foot from accelerator to negate the regen-braking effect when coasting / slowing down.

Rather like driving an ICE car in second gear.. if you simply remove your foot from the gas, the car rapidly decelerates.
But if you drag your foot off, you can smoothen the ride.

Driving smoothly will allow her to pass the test.
Alternatively you can try complaining to the supervisor, but you already have a taste of how that is likely to go.
Did the examiner put a coffee cup on the dash and explain that if it spills on them, you fail? :-D

I failed my first exam by one question on the written. I complained because one of the questions was "to indicate car trouble do you A) raise your hood B) raise your trunk C) open the driver door D) open the passenger door

And as I drove a VW I choose B, which was correct for all the cars in my household.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus