Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA DMV - Your 2018 Model 3 can get EV State Credit OR Carpool Sticker, but not both?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Effective January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a CAV decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), nor can an applicant participate in both the CAV Decal Program and the CVRP unless income restrictions are met."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal

What are the income restrictions??

Here is the EXACT legal wording of California Vehicle Code effective 1 JAN 2018:
CVC 5205.5>
(b) (1) The department shall not issue a decal, label, or other identifier to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, established as part of the Air Quality Improvement Program pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 44274) of Chapter 8.9 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, for a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, unless the rebate was issued to a buyer whose gross annual income falls below one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for a person who files a tax return as a single person, two hundred four thousand dollars ($204,000) for a person who files a tax return as a head of household, and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) for a person who files a joint tax return.

You can find the income caps here. I'm not sure why they put that there, since you can't qualify for CVRP if you're above the income cap anyways.

Income Eligibility
Ridiculous limits for the Bay Area ...
upload_2018-1-19_21-3-44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: caltechkid
I have never figured out the point of the section. Higher income people can’t take advantage of both programs because they are not eligible for the CVRP rebate. Basically if you are below the income cap you can get both, if you are above you have to choose between the sticker or the program you are ineligible for. What?

The only thing I can guess is that they are saying that if you have received a CVRP rebate in the past, even on a different vehicle, and you no longer qualify for the current CVRP rebate program then you can't get the carpool sticker either for a car purchased after 1/1/18.

The only thing I can guess is that they are saying that if you have received a CVRP rebate in the past, even on a different vehicle, and you no longer qualify for the current CVRP rebate program then you can't get the carpool sticker either for a car purchased after 1/1/18.

Nope, the law says that rebates before 2018 don’t count.

Basically what it seems to say is that if you obtained a rebate fraudulently you aren’t eligible for the sticker program.

It’s one of the poorest worded sentences on the Internet. The second clause negates the point if the first.
And it will get far worse before it gets better. I've communicated a lot with government entities, and they tend to be below average at their job description.

There was a time when civil service did not pay well, so there was no big push for politicians and union management to bump their unqualified kids there. And the growth of affirmative action programs which allow the lowering of hiring standards, as well the great difficultly in firing a civil service union worker because they are incompetent means the cream of crop sinks to the bottom.

So today we have perhaps the lowest quality civil service workers in history. Why do you think it takes so long to do things, and why they screw them up so bad? There is no quality control for their human resources. Those who are excellent at their job take second rung to those with political reasons for promotion, so the cream stopped rising to the top.

In California in particular, I doubt most the civil service workers could hack working 1 month at a fast food restaurant or successfully complete a paper route, mow a lawn correctly, or any other unskilled jobs that only require the right attitude to complete successfully.