Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA drivers using PG&E's EV rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best to compare the actual rates for both the EV-A and EV-B rate plans. I found that for a solar system the E-6 plan was best :cool:

View attachment 197362
View attachment 197363

View attachment 197364

We love the EV-A rate plan, we added an MX to our family this spring and now instead of paying $50-100 each month, we are getting a credit of $50-100 each month!! Our solar rates are based on the partial-peak and peak and our MX is charged with off-peak rates. So cool that we added an electric car and we are paying half as much for electric :D

Sorry to bump an old thread, I haven’t seen a recent one (my bad if there is), and I’m wondering what practical, in terms of actual money savings anyone’s had from just buying a Tesla, enrolling in one of pg&e’s EV programs (I’d charge my car at night). This is without any solar panels at the house or having pg&e install their own meter for the car. Just a regular house, with a 2015 85d purchased this week.

If anyone has a similar situation, how much less is your power bill on average? 30% less? If your bill was normally $100 (let’s say) would your bill be around $70?

I’ve seen all the rates and programs, just curious to hear anyone’s actual saving numbers. My house is rather large and is in the tier 2 usage billing usually. Sometimes tier 3 in the summer. I’d
Love to hear anyone’s else’s story about what is actually reflected on the monthly bill in terms of dollars.

Three things can affect the value of the EV plan:
  1. How much you drive and would you be charging that energy at home
  2. How much you are in Tier 3 or 4. The car will push you way over
  3. How much you can shift your normal energy out of the peak periods (M-F, 3-9pm, Weekends 7-9)
If all of these apply then my experience is the EV rates are best.

There are calculators on PG&E website and at least one app that can use detailed billing to help you decide. But you have to add in what you think the car will consume since you have no history here.

Three things can affect the value of the EV plan:
  1. How much you drive and would you be charging that energy at home
  2. How much you are in Tier 3 or 4. The car will push you way over
  3. How much you can shift your normal energy out of the peak periods (M-F, 3-9pm, Weekends 7-9)
If all of these apply then my experience is the EV rates are best.

There are calculators on PG&E website and at least one app that can use detailed billing to help you decide. But you have to add in what you think the car will consume since you have no history here.
That’s a fair reply. I forgot to mention i will almost never be charging my car at the house. I work 5 days a week near sac with a super charger literally right next to it. So my car wont be adding any significant increase in my usage at home. I’m just curious as to what peoples general savings are %wise or $ wise. I understand there’s a number of different factors, just curious as to what some peoples savings are

If you have solar and EV, it's a no brainer. I have been getting credits for $0.48 per kWh from 2pm and charging at $0.12 per kWh. I have changed all my lights to LEDs so they barley use anything, and I schedule washing and dish washing after 11pm or on weekends. The only thing left is AC which I try to minimize. I have a 6.25kw solar, I have been paying 0 for true up while charging 2 EVs.

If you don't have solar, you need to calculate based on usage patterns.

If you have solar and EV, it's a no brainer. I have been getting credits for $0.48 per kWh from 2pm and charging at $0.12 per kWh. I have changed all my lights to LEDs so they barley use anything, and I schedule washing and dish washing after 11pm or on weekends. The only thing left is AC which I try to minimize. I have a 6.25kw solar, I have been paying 0 for true up while charging 2 EVs.

Agreed, solar + time of use is very economical.

In a modest-sized house of four with people home basically all day, a 7.5kw solar system, and 35k EV miles a year on PGE EV-A, my annual true up is about a thousand dollars.

This is such good news. I Just had my solar guy out today and found out i could have an 8.5k setup using just the South facing sides of my roof (i have a few other sections that are SE&SW too and was told i could easily have a 10kw set up very easily.) we can fit 26 5ft panels (just the South facing ones) and i was told we could get the whole thing and installed for around 35k. I was also informed pg&e may even cover up to 30% of that cost, so i’d Be left paying off 25k. That’s literally like 5 years based on my current usage amounts.

What an amazing way to live. Grateful to be alive at this point in time.

I think it's a relatively common knowledge that you don't want to always charge your car with fast charging, as it ultimately affects the longevity of your battery. I would definitely recommend considering home base changing, as it's by far the most convenient way to charge your EV.
I dunno if you have alternative providers where you are in Sac (SMUD Home <-- ?). I've switched to one like that in San Francisco. The rates are very good IMO... Even though I have a whole house PV system and powerwall, I charge my car at night from the grid at ~2.5 cent/kwh, and use solar produced energy during peak hours.

This is such good news. I Just had my solar guy out today and found out i could have an 8.5k setup using just the South facing sides of my roof (i have a few other sections that are SE&SW too and was told i could easily have a 10kw set up very easily.) we can fit 26 5ft panels (just the South facing ones) and i was told we could get the whole thing and installed for around 35k. I was also informed pg&e may even cover up to 30% of that cost, so i’d Be left paying off 25k. That’s literally like 5 years based on my current usage amounts.

What an amazing way to live. Grateful to be alive at this point in time.

Good for you, I should have intalled a bigger solar system (9kwh instead of 6.25kwh). That way, wouldn't need to worry about saving ACs and scheduling washing etc.

I think it's a relatively common knowledge that you don't want to always charge your car with fast charging, as it ultimately affects the longevity of your battery. I would definitely recommend considering home base changing, as it's by far the most convenient way to charge your EV.
I dunno if you have alternative providers where you are in Sac (SMUD Home <-- ?). I've switched to one like that in San Francisco. The rates are very good IMO... Even though I have a whole house PV system and powerwall, I charge my car at night from the grid at ~2.5 cent/kwh, and use solar produced energy during peak hours.

Agree, I only supercharge on road trips and I usually charge to 60% every night and only to 90% right before long trips to keep the average SOC as low as pissposs.

I did my own research, the key is to avoid high SOC for long and in high temperature. The lower SOC is better but there is a different problem at very low SOC, high load will damage the battery in a different way. So at low SOC try to avoid hard acceleration. Considering all these, shallow cycles around 50‰ seems to be a good balance. Also I charge to 50% and keep it plugged for vacations.

Last edited:
Your biggest benefit would be enabled if you buy into some form of storage for the solar system. My current setup with 4.1 kWp solar and two PWs allows me to use zero peak rate power and a bare minimum of partial peak. All vehicle charging is done on off peak rates. I'm hoping to end up with less than $300 annual charge at true up.

Local energy storage is great, but still quite expensive (long ROI, unless you have a ton of outages, IMO). As long as you PV generation covers your peak needs, and off-peak rates are reasonable for charging EV at night, you are essentially able to use the grid as the storage system.

Are you allowed to charge the PWs at night and use then during peak hours? That eouwo be great. I heard you can only charge them with solar.
In the USA, if you have solar, you cannot charge your Powerwalls from the grid. This is Tesla's way to ensure that all customers are eligible for the 30% tax credit. IMHO, they should allow you to opt-out, but so far I have not heard that it is possible. In other countries, you can charge from the grid off-peak and use that energy during Peak rate periods.