Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA drivers using PG&E's EV rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your biggest benefit would be enabled if you buy into some form of storage for the solar system. My current setup with 4.1 kWp solar and two PWs allows me to use zero peak rate power and a bare minimum of partial peak. All vehicle charging is done on off peak rates. I'm hoping to end up with less than $300 annual charge at true up.

I have a similar sized 4kw solar array but no powerwalls. Just coming to annual true-up, have about -300 kwh of peak, 3000 kWh used off-peak (net zero for part peak). True-up will be around $500 this year, mostly to cover the nightly EV charging - would've been closer to $60 without EV.

But I'm on grandfathered E-6, which is tiered TOU though Im always in Tier 1. EV-A would be about $90 higher for the past year, but still lower than flat rates or the E-TOU rates.

I have a similar sized 4kw solar array but no powerwalls. Just coming to annual true-up, have about -300 kwh of peak, 3000 kWh used off-peak (net zero for part peak). True-up will be around $500 this year, mostly to cover the nightly EV charging - would've been closer to $60 without EV.

But I'm on grandfathered E-6, which is tiered TOU though Im always in Tier 1.
EV-A would be about $90 higher for the past year, but still lower than flat rates or the E-TOU rates.

I have a similar 4kW solar system on the old E-6 rate plan with a zero balance annual true-up.
E-6 is great to maximize the high rates for sale back to PG&E during peak solar production :cool:

But I'm on grandfathered E-6, which is tiered TOU though Im always in Tier 1. EV-A would be about $90 higher for the past year, but still lower than flat rates or the E-TOU rates.

That's good news. Be aware that the CPUC and the IOUs are moving to a rate system where everyone will be on TOU. It may not happen soon but will certainly happen. I suspect that rates which are good now will inevitably become too expensive to stay in as the rate cases get approved and the costs associated with generation and transmission rise. California's multiple efforts to reduce GHG emissions, minimize environmental impact can do little but increase the costs of electricity and those costs will be passed onto the ratepayers.
Hang in there as long as you can. However, you might consider some sort of storage in your long term plans if you think you're going to be in your home for lots of years. Based on input from realtor friends we seem to have reached a tipping point (at least in our area) for the impact to home prices from solar and storage. What was once deemed a detriment to "curb appeal" is now beginning to be a positive impact to a home's selling price.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Electricity rates in California are not going to go down until all the long term power contracts from the CA energy crisis are behind us and someone other than ratepayers swallow the losses associated with stranded fossil generation assets. However, in the long term, renewables will have lower costs.