Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA: East Bay Area Caldecott Tunnel NOA map error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Freeway 24 -> 13 NOA error.

A recent map update introduced a dangerous NOA drop-out for drivers Westbound in the California highway 24 Caldecott Tunnel, who are about to take the Warren Freeway southbound, i.e. highway 13. The problem has now been there for a month or more? We have so many Teslas here I'm surprised if nobody has reported it. Is it just me? Specifically:

While we're in the tunnel, NOA is off, we're in plain Autopilot. As we exit the tunnel, NOA turns back on, as usual.
NOA then moves us into the rightmost lane to catch the hairpin exit onto highway 13, as seen in the Maps image below.
NOA had been making this whole 24 to 13 freeway to freeway merge at reduced speed just fine. I was happy.

Of late NOA suddenly turns off, for no clear reason, just as we are about the take the exit.
The car finds itself in plain autopilot, headed for the divider.
Your choice is to yank out of auto-pilot and "force" the exit, or let it be and see what happens :oops:

Before I understood the situation I did let it be one time.
It made a messy recovery to the left and (merely) missed the exit.

Is anyone else taking this route in NOA and seeing this?

Does anyone know where/how to report such a problem?

HW24West_to_HW13SouthM.jpg

Location: SF Bay Area. Version: 2021.4.12, HW3. I don't know about the Caldecott specifically,
but I recently noticed NOA blinking off and on for the tunnels in the Marina en route to the
Golden Gate Bridge and also the "rainbow" tunnel just north of the bridge. I haven't noticed
this before in earlier versions -- perhaps it does this now when GPS signals are problematic ...

The confused gore point behavior shortly after exit could correlate with just not having enough time
to re-orient when NOA comes back on. It's just "one of those things".

Moderator note: Edited this post to fix formatting and make content visible.

I had this issue twice and a 2x round trip. While entering Caldecott tunnel, it almost hit barriers when I had to take over. That tunnel on the other hand gives me anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Location: SF Bay Area. Version: 2021.4.12, HW3. I don't know about the Caldecott specifically,
but I recently noticed NOA blinking off and on for the tunnels in the Marina en route to the
Golden Gate Bridge and also the "rainbow" tunnel just north of the bridge. I haven't noticed
this before in earlier versions -- perhaps it does this now when GPS signals are problematic ...
These tunnels must've been added to the maps recently... tunnels are considered unsupported because GPS isn't as precise in the tunnel as you can imagine and IIRC Green or someone mentioned the current odometry logic doesn't lead to a high enough precision to make up for it.

For OP's problem - perhaps caused by a map update because there were some other issues with the exit making NoA not work so well there? Similarly, it drops out of NoA right before the exit if you're trying to navigate to the Alameda supercharger, so you either miss the exit completely or turn off autosteer and manually merge over by 1 lane. Quite annoying if you're unprepared for it.

This continues to be a very high risk situation.

If you don't know about it it's a real shocker. I'm surprised nobody's hit anything.

If you do know about it, you have to manually disengage automation before the exit, and until you're done with the hairpin and on Highway 13. I'm not brave enough to leave it on and just see what happens, because when NOA drops out, it seems to head for the divider.

Last edited:
If you look on Google Streetview at all the locations in this thread you'll notice the route has interruptions. If you try to follow the route with the screen arrow, at times it will drop out and you have to regain the route by clicking further ahead.

I can't imagine Tesla is using a Streetview broken driving sequence to navigate, but I'm throwing it out there as a theory anyway.

There have been problems in the past with the 3D aspect, like streets below a freeway being taken as being on the same plane. This was 2 years ago, but I once had the voice Navigation on HW 880 advise me to turn left - off the freeway, like to plunge 40 feet to the street below LOL. This maze here has that potential. I mean, it drops NOA as if we were no longer on a freeway. That lasts a few seconds but ruins the exit. A year or more ago I've had it successfully exit, slow down and drive in NOA through the hairpin and onto Highway 13.

Something broke and Tesla should look into it, it's a hazard. Where can I report this?