Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA EV Registration Taxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Starting this month (July 2020), a one-time upfront registration fee of $100 will be charged for 2020 model year plug-in vehicles in California. That will be followed by an annual registration fee of up to $175 based on the vehicle’s value. "

I am confused on how this extra tax works.

Is the $100 one time registration fee only for 2020+ vehicles purchased after july?

Is the annual registration fee of up to $175 apply only to 2020+ models or its ALL EVs?

Because my buddy who got an early 2020 model ( bought in January ) got the same bill as me with a 2019 model.

I got the exact car xcept mine is the 2019 and it was a tad less than $600, so i am guessing your guys got hit the "up to $175 extra". Dunno seems confusing. I hope my renewal next year doesn't suddenly go up.
Moved to California 2 years ago. Between the income tax hike, the housing prices, $800/6mo for car insurance and now $1000 to renew registration for 2 vehicles, I think I have enough left over to buy a 12 pack of coors light.