Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA FasTrak Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update (and a bump for any new owners who are dealing with this issue): I finally got reasonable performance (worked on 2 out of 2 bridge readers) from mounting a Fastrak Flex transponder on the rear liftgate glass, upper right corner. ....

This is on a Model S 85D, April 2015 build. There are various iterations on the windshields, so the "normal" mounting positions (particularly to the right of the rearview mirror) have been reported to work for some people.

bmah,
I appreciate your update.
I have been waiting for FasTrak to provide an official position for the metallized windshield issue forced by the opening of I-580 Express Lane last week.
The MTC Express Lanes Concept of Operations Chapter 4: Operating Concept 7/1/15 document indicated on page 50: "Vehicles with metallic windshields that cannot find a place on the windshield where the express lane system can read a FasTrak® transponder will need to use a bumper-mounted transponder and will therefore not be able to travel toll-exempt on the express lanes". How is that for BS....

So, I called FasTrak customer service yesterday to get their update since I-580 was open and they indicated Tesla had solved the windshield problem so they had no comment other than I should contact Tesla if toll tag didn't work in my May 2015 Tesla. The CS rep was initially patient but hard nosed with respect to their faults assumption that the problem was with my Tesla only. They even denied their very own list of vehicle with metallized windshields!!
I did called Tesla customer service technical support and I was told that indeed any Tesla including mine with the Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) is not comparable with the FasTrak toll tags mounted on the windshield and the only mounting option was the rear window.

Interesting aside and something we should be aware of, is the lawful mounting of the FasTrak toll tag.
The CHP will be trying to visually cull-out vehicles for a citation and the single driver with a toll-exempt status will be primary target.

So here it is:
RE:HOW TO MOUNT A TOLL TAG
https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/howitworks/howToMount.shtml#detailed
1st: Don't hold up the toll tag
It is illegal to hold up a toll tag up by hand while driving through a toll collection point.

2nd: FasTrak seems to visually stipulate the only lawful locations are on the windshield.
mountCar.png

mount_A.png
Preferred
mount_B.png
Alternative
However!!
CA state Law: SEC. 77, Section 26708 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read: Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

So while you advocate for locating the Toll Tag on the upper rear window as a functional alternative CA law has only approved the lower passenger side corner of the rear window and in wanting to stay out of the courts over a toll collection citation I'm going to place my FasTrak Flex Toll Tag on the passenger side lower 7-inch square of the rear window as instructed to be lawfully installed, weather it works there or not!!!

So while you advocate for locating the Toll Tag on the upper rear window as a functional alternative CA law has only approved the lower passenger side corner of the rear window and in wanting to stay out of the courts over a toll collection citation I'm going to place my FasTrak Flex Toll Tag on the passenger side lower 7-inch square of the rear window as instructed to be lawfully installed, weather it works there or not!!!

m6bigdog: I'm deliberately staying out of any commentary on FasTrak rules and/or enforcement thereof.

I actually was not aware that any rear window placement was technically legal, so that's actually new information to me. My prior post was not an attempt to say "you should mount in the upper section of the rear windshield", it was more to point out what has worked for me (and others, since I wasn't the first person to try it). I have not tried the I-580 express lanes, yet, although the rear upper-glass placement has worked correctly for me on the I-680 express lanes over the Sunol Grade, the Carquinez Bridge, San Mateo Bridge, and Bay Bridge. I will presume that anyone reading this will be intelligent and/or wise enough to make their own decisions and not just pick a location "because bmah said so". :smile:

Thank you for contributing the CVC excerpt, that's useful information. Have you tried mounting it as specified? Does it work there for you?

Update--I found that we were getting inconsistent readings on the new FasTrak Flex in both my 2013 S85 and my wife's 2015 S70D. I gave up on trying the 'behind the nosecone' location. I spent a lot of time fooling to try to get a reliable system. Here is what I came up with:

2013 S85--I of course do not have TACC/AutoPilot and do have have the small black spotted area to the right of my rear view mirror. I first tried the transponder there in the 'proper' horizontal location. No good. But if I rotated the transponder 90 degrees so it was positioned in 'portrait' rather than 'landscape' orientation it works consistently.
2015 S70D--this car has TACC/Autopilot and does not have the black spotted area near the mirror. I tried virtually every location on the front windshield and the pano roof. No joy. I finally mounted it centered at the bottom edge of the rear liftgate window (so it would not be visible in the rear view mirror as the tall next-gen seatbacks and headrests in the rear block this area). Works consistently--and I will flaunt the law (not mounted to the far left or right). I did not try the upper part of the rear liftgate window as it would be visible and also it is where I have the rear camera for the Blackvue. YMMV.

m6bigdog: I'm deliberately staying out of any commentary on FasTrak rules and/or enforcement thereof.

I actually was not aware that any rear window placement was technically legal, so that's actually new information to me. My prior post was not an attempt to say "you should mount in the upper section of the rear windshield", it was more to point out what has worked for me (and others, since I wasn't the first person to try it). I have not tried the I-580 express lanes, yet, although the rear upper-glass placement has worked correctly for me on the I-680 express lanes over the Sunol Grade, the Carquinez Bridge, San Mateo Bridge, and Bay Bridge. I will presume that anyone reading this will be intelligent and/or wise enough to make their own decisions and not just pick a location "because bmah said so". :smile:

Thank you for contributing the CVC excerpt, that's useful information. Have you tried mounting it as specified? Does it work there for you?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to single you out. I appreciate your success and willingness to post.
I'm just wanting to contribute to the collective knowledge since FasTrak has decided to be ignorant and uncooperative on the FasTrak Flex toll tag usage in the I-580 express lane with the metallized windshield.
However, I am not a authority on toll collection laws, express lane enforcement, vehicle code and anything I post you must use at your own risk:

You would think that being in possession of a valid toll tag that is read by the toll collection reader anywhere in your vehicle would be good enough? BUT NO!!!

Toll Tag visibility is a technicality of "CVC 23302. (a) (2) Except as specified in paragraph (3), if a transponder or other electronic toll payment device is used to pay tolls or other charges due, the device shall be located in or on the vehicle in a location so as to be visible for the purpose of enforcement at all times when the vehicle is located on the vehicular crossing or toll highway. Where required by the operator of a vehicular crossing or toll highway, this requirement applies even if the operator offers free travel or nontoll accounts to certain classes of users."

How absurd is that? The vehicle that pays cash does not have a visible bridge toll receipt for enforcement, my Tesla has the ZEV sticker visible on the rear so it is toll free in the express lane and CVC 23302 allows a motorcyclist to be exempt as they can put the transponder in their pocket where it is not visible for the purpose of enforcement!! How is that for a double standard!!
This laws is more about giving citations and has nothing to do with who is paying the tolls.

"23302 . (a)
(3) If a motorcyclist uses a transponder or other electronic toll payment device to lawfully enter a vehicle crossing or toll highway, the motorcyclist shall use any one of the following methods as long as the transponder or device is able to be read by the toll operator's detection equipment:
(A) Place the transponder or other electronic toll payment device in the motorcyclist's pocket.
(B) Place the transponder or other electronic toll payment device inside a cycle net that drapes over the gas tank of the motorcycle.
(C) Mount the transponder or other electronic toll payment device on license plate devices provided by the toll operator, if the toll operator provides those devices.
(D) Keep the transponder or other electronic toll payment device in the glove or storage compartment of the motorcycle."

Also, the specific placement of the visible Toll Tag in your vehicle is a matter of CVC 26708 as I indicated in the reply above.

Hence, there are two opportunities for the CHP to write a citation when using the express lanes and toll roads even after you have lawfully paid the toll!!
(1) lack of visibility.
(2) visible but incorrect placement.

I'm religious about this stuff because I get more than my fair share of speeding tickets (on road trips) and I don't need to add other citations to my court appearances and/or traffic school attendance; let alone the cost.

I have yet to drive the I-580 express lane with the toll tag mounted in the lower rear window passenger side and have mainly used Pay-by-Plate on the bridges for the Tesla due to the windshield issue.
I will most likely do a test run to Livermore and back this week.
I guess we will all see how the I-580 express lane and Flex toll tag works out!!

Last edited:

I have yet to drive the I-580 express lane with the toll tag mounted in the lower rear window passenger side and have mainly used Pay-by-Plate on the bridges for the Tesla due to the windshield issue.
I will most likely do a test run to Livermore and back this week.
I guess we will all see how the I-580 express lane and Flex toll tag works out!!

Please let us know how it goes. I'm trying to find a proper placement for my Flex transponder and would love to hear feedback on the rear location.

Did anyone try to put a simple decal (a fake) on the windshield in the "standard location" while keeping the real thing in a spot where it gets picked? I wonder if that's considered some kind of violation (the idea being that cops should see something that looks like a transponder from afar and not pull you over), since it could be argued that you're trying to trick law enforcement...

What about putting 2 transponders in? The "fake" one that is actually real but won't work, and then the real one in the alternate location. That should satisfy the requirement of the law. =)

We had a similar problem with our "soft top" Jeep Wrangler which only has half doors and rarely has windows. No secure way to keep thieves from stealing our 91 Toll Roads or FasTrak transponders if they were stuck to the windshield.

Simple solution was taking a picture of our transponder, printing it on a color printer on glossy photo paper, and sticking it on the inside of the lower corner of the driver's windshield. CHP officer "sees" transponder in windshield so you don't get pulled over for not displaying one. Actual transponder stealthily hidden on top of roll bar padding so it works perfectly (same location that Jeep installs factory Sirius satellite antenna). We also used the same stealth location with our garage door opener which thieves will steal then drive to your house to let themselves in.

Yes CHP actually pulls cars over with lights flashing if you they don't see a transponder in the windshield. CRAZY. Happened to my wife a couple of years ago on the 73 Toll Road in South Orange County in our Corvette convertible which also didn't have a secure place for transponder with top down. You'd think CHP would have better priorities than being collection agents for The Toll Roads which are privately owned.

Or maybe she got pulled over because she's beautiful and was driving a Corvette convertible. Think Christie Brinkley in Family Vacation. :cool:

Please let us know how it goes. I'm trying to find a proper placement for my Flex transponder and would love to hear feedback on the rear location.

Did anyone try to put a simple decal (a fake) on the windshield in the "standard location" ... ...

Status with Flex Toll Tag mounted on the passenger-side lower-corner
I ran most of the I-580 Express Lanes from Pleasanton to Livermore and back on Friday and the toll tag signaled at each toll reader.

I mounted the Toll Tag in a friendly manor for the rear window defroster, by put the Velcro strips horizontally on the toll tag so the mating strips adhered to glass only between the rear window heater elements.
Also, I have the accessory rear sun shade, so the Toll Tag is mounted out from the passenger-side lower-corner more than I really care for (but still within the 7" square) and it is too visually obvious for my taste with the white Velcro & white Toll Tag against the black of the sun shade. I was thinking about getting some black Velcro that would reduce the "bill-board" appearance of the Toll Tag on the the rear window.

As for displaying a fake Toll Tag decal on the windshield!!
IMHO, That is much worst than just not displaying anything, as that is a sure fire way to get a citation for Toll evasion on and off the Toll road, 24/7.
Kind of like, displaying a copy of the licence plate while keeping the real one in the trunk. You are just asking for any COP that sees the decal to hand you a citation for Toll evasion, so you can go to court to explain your intention and rational to the judge!!

Well the SoCal toll roads have now gone totally cashless. So I don't think you need the toll tag in the windshield anymore (as long as you have a rear plate)
The 91 Express Lanes still requires the FasTrak.

As mentioned earlier in the thread by spentan in post #15, The 91 Express Lanes offers mostly free 91 access and no monthly fee IF you obtain a FasTrak through them. Click "Download Application" at the Special Access column at this web page:

https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp

I visited their Santa Ana office and obtained the 3 switch position FasTrak by handing them their application and a copy of the DMV registration for the Tesla EV.

DMV CAV HOV stickers are required with the 3 switch position FasTrak for solo driver no toll travel on the I-110 and I-10 Freeways in LA County.

The 91 Express Lanes still requires the FasTrak.

As mentioned earlier in the thread by spentan in post #15, The 91 Express Lanes offers mostly free 91 access and no monthly fee IF you obtain a FasTrak through them. Click "Download Application" at the Special Access column at this web page:

https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp

I visited their Santa Ana office and obtained the 3 switch position FasTrak by handing them their application and a copy of the DMV registration for the Tesla EV.

DMV CAV HOV stickers are required with the 3 switch position FasTrak for solo driver no toll travel on the I-110 and I-10 Freeways in LA County.

Mark, where do you display your transponder? Since your S is a Sig, presumably you have found a windshield position that works?

What is your advice to those of us with 2015 build cars whose windshields block FasTrak signals?
I had thought of mounting the FasTrak 3-switch transponder in the back window and perhaps a facsimile in the windshield for CHP to see. The theory being that seeing HOV stickers on the quarter panels and what looks like a transponder on the windshield prevents me from being stopped. If stopped for another reason, the fake along with a functional transponder in back could be explained.
Have you found anywhere legal to place a transponder in your X?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have success placing their switchable fastback transponder on the dashboard or in the cubby under the 17" monitor?

If it won't work attached directly to the windshield, what makes you think it would work with even more impediments to radio wave transmissions?

Mark, where do you display your transponder?...
On the 2012 Model S Signature, I had a newer 2013 windshield replacement requiring the newer rear view mirror. The transponder is located on the glass directly to the right of the rear view mirror mount next to the headliner (passenger side). From the outside, about half the transponder is visible and the other half is hidden by the window surround mask at the rear view mirror. It is the older style FasTrak with the battery test button and without the 3 passenger switch.

On the 2016 Model X Signature, the 3 passenger switch transponder works great when mounted on the glass under the rear view mirror mount. Lined up with the passenger side edge of the mount, it's directly below the AP camera when viewed from the front of the vehicle. It barely is visible from the driver seat. It is very visible from the outside for the CHP officers.

Both transponders are mounted upright with the two Velcro strips.

Last edited:
In my 2016 Model S, I have the FasTrak Flex (3 switch) mounted on the windshield, just to the right of the rear view mirror along the edge of the roof line. It has worked flawlessly on the 680 South Express lane, the 237 East Express lane, and the San Mateo bridge. I mounted it using the supplied velcro strips.

In my 2016 Model S, I have the FasTrak Flex (3 switch) mounted on the windshield, just to the right of the rear view mirror along the edge of the roof line. It has worked flawlessly on the 680 South Express lane, the 237 East Express lane, and the San Mateo bridge. I mounted it using the supplied velcro strips.

Does this mean that Tesla has made some change to windshields lately that allows FasTrak transponders to work?

Does this mean that Tesla has made some change to windshields lately that allows FasTrak transponders to work?

There have been several different windshield versions over the lifetime of the Model S, each with varying effects on FasTrak transponder placement. There's one version (I believe it's what's currently going on cars as of this writing) that explicitly has an area to place transponders, for the others it's kind of a hit-and-miss thing.

How do you have it orientated?

Jeff
Horizontal, with the writing/label/printing going left to right (ie: easily readable by the passenger).

- - - Updated - - -

Worked perfectly on the Dumbo this morning during commuter hour...

My windshield (Feb 2015 S85D) blocks the transponders.
I've had good luck mounting them behind the nosecone. I recently got a new transponder with the three position switch and mounted it behind the nosecone (I taped up the seams to block out stray moisture and so far, it's working fine.

My windshield (Feb 2015 S85D) blocks the transponders.
I've had good luck mounting them behind the nosecone. I recently got a new transponder with the three position switch and mounted it behind the nosecone (I taped up the seams to block out stray moisture and so far, it's working fine.

I'm confused. Isn't the transponder supposed to be visible in the windshield to avoid a ticket from CHP?