Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA FasTrak Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently picked up the Fastrak Flex to use instead of the regular Fastrak transponder. I just leave it on the parcel shelf when I need to use it. First time I went through express lanes, no fees. Couple of days ago I went through express lanes again and I check my Fastrak account and I got dinged $2 despite that the Tesla is the only car registered on both transponders. Disputing it to see if this is going to be an ongoing issue.

FWIW, I had been using an external likcense plate FasTrak transponder here in the SF Bay Area, as I could never get the internal version to work. I had this mounted on the black front bumper bar behind the nose cone. Worked great.

There are soon going to be new HOV/flex $$ pricing lanes here, so there is a new internal FasTrak Flex transponder with a 3 position switch. 'Ordinary' drivers set the switch to the number of occupants and use the bridges/toll lanes, and are supposed to be billed as appropriate. But what about the shielded Model S windshield--what could I do?

I went over the Bay Area FasTrak web site and read up on the system, and also spoke with a representative. If you have the white HOV stickers and thus qualify, you can get the new FasTrak Flex transponder and leave it set to 3. So I got the new transponder, set it to 3, placed electrical tape over the switch and the speaker opening, and also taped up the enitre perimeter of the transponder case. I then popped my nose cone off, deinstalled the old license plate transponder, and Velcroed the new one to the inside of the nose cone itself. I have not yet hit a HOV/variable pricing lane yet. YMMV.

Now that's a good idea. I guess I could put mine in a zip lock too. I have an external old transponder in my nose cone, but this sounds like a perfect way to get it to read and keep it safe.