Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Gas Tax + $.12/gallon EV registrations +$100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooner or later EVs will have to pay more. It just doesn't work as it is now. Road repairs and new road projects are mostly financed by taxes on gasoline. If all cars were EVs there would be no money for those things. The state has to find a way to make people that use the road, no matter what drive train they use, pay for the roads. Enjoy your EV right now, it will never be as cheap to drive it as it is now.

Well more sum(f(mileage,weight,road)).

Trucking already pays by weight-mile in OR and a few other states.

What I wish to emphasize is that since road wear happens as the cube or fourth power of the weight, trucks cause HUNDREDS of times more road destruction than cars. As in, a car may not cause the road to flex at all, where a truck may displace it several millimeters, which is where the damage comes in.

I don't care if every state charged based on weight / mileage, the do NOT charge a proportionate fee (or tax) based on actual road wear. They want all these other drivers to take over the cost of road repair.

And, as I recall, only a small percentage of the gas taxes actually make it to doing actual road repair. A lot of it goes to fund a lot of other political things.

All in all, it's a political boondoggle, as most taxes and fees are.

Since it's politics, nothing will change, except maybe for the worse. I expect to pay my share of "road maintenance", etc., so I won't kick.

As much as I philosophically hate taxes, I do realize that there needs to be revenue for infrastructure maintenance and improvement. CAFE rules are deliberately (and successfully) driving down fuel consumption, and consequently, gas tax revenue. As EVs become more mainstream, the gas tax revenue shortfall will become more acute. I really don't see any other way around it other than going to a mileage tax, or assessing a "infrastructure maintenance" fee for EVs.

What I wish to emphasize is that since road wear happens as the cube or fourth power of the weight, trucks cause HUNDREDS of times more road destruction than cars. As in, a car may not cause the road to flex at all, where a truck may displace it several millimeters, which is where the damage comes in.

I don't care if every state charged based on weight / mileage, the do NOT charge a proportionate fee (or tax) based on actual road wear. They want all these other drivers to take over the cost of road repair.

And, as I recall, only a small percentage of the gas taxes actually make it to doing actual road repair. A lot of it goes to fund a lot of other political things.

All in all, it's a political boondoggle, as most taxes and fees are.

Since it's politics, nothing will change, except maybe for the worse. I expect to pay my share of "road maintenance", etc., so I won't kick.
Good point about weight! Trucks do most of the road damage.
Not so good your rant about road taxes. I posted a link to a detailed report of road taxes. They all go to roads.