Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV decal front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No front for me, in the glovebox. FWIW if I were to put it on, I fear (or I would at least say) that because there is PPF on the bumper I was worried the sticker would damage it upon removal in the future..

Other stickers are on small PPF bits so they can come off w/o leaving cruft when they get removed in 3 years

What i have seen recently that has me confused is a Model S and a Volt (I think) having BOTH sets of white and red stickers.

For me, right now, I have two stickers on PPF: right rear corner (visible from side and rear) and left rear. From reading some (possibly exaggerated) posts here I may mount the front left sticker.

I recently corrected a fix-it ticket for a missing front plate. Went to the SJPD and told the clerk I needed to have the ticket signed off. She told me to take a picture of it (!) and return to the window. I did so and she found an officer to sign it off. The last time I had to do this cell phones hadn't been invented yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Sherlo
We put on all four on. The front one is cleverly placed in the recess just right of the air intake.
Right. They can be placed "correctly" without being obnoxious. I plan to mount the rear ones REALLY low. Like on the low part mostly facing the road. They're on there. All legal as far as I can tell. But they're not up there in your face. (I say this as I've I've already put them on.... but three months later, I'm still trying to get them!)

Put the stickers on Paint Protection Film (PPF) and put them on. With PFF, you can remove them once your 3-4 years of permitted use are up.

We put on all four on. The front one is cleverly placed in the recess just right of the air intake.

Exactly--my front sticker is really tucked in and pretty hard to see (...good). Here are my rears:

IMG_2787.JPG

And, yes, stickers applied to Xpel, then trimmed, then mounted (the car has cQuartz but no PPF).

Exactly--my front sticker is really tucked in and pretty hard to see (...good). Here are my rears:

View attachment 392241

And, yes, stickers applied to Xpel, then trimmed, then mounted (the car has cQuartz but no PPF).
Pretty much what I plan to do. And of course that angle shows just how silly it is to require so many stickers! This is the angle that the car will be viewed 90% of the time when a LEO is considering compliance.

Just applied for mine. When I do get them I'll only put 2 on the back rear passenger side.

PS. Buddy of mine gave me two of his HOV stickers and I'll be putting them on the rig once I get my plates. Screw that, I ain't waiting 6 weeks to get that sweet sweet HOV lane. Bay Area traffic blows!

PS. Buddy of mine gave me two of his HOV stickers and I'll be putting them on the rig once I get my plates. Screw that, I ain't waiting 6 weeks to get that sweet sweet HOV lane. Bay Area traffic blows!

21655.9 (c) Operate or Own Vehicle That Displays Low-Emission Decal Not Issued for the Vehicle

$1100.

Misdemeanor, not infraction.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/2019-JC-BAIL.pdf

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: liuping
My friend got pulled over for not having all the decals in a carpool lane in CA. The fine was $1,400 for improper display. He had a fix it ticket but in the end even after fixing the issue the fine was still $700.

It's not like a $20 window tint. CA takes Carpool seriously.

so having carpool stickers and just displaying them improperly is 2-3x the fine for carpool lane violation?

21655.9 (b) Driving Low Emission Vehicle Without Required Decal or Label
$238; $532 in a safety zone; $648 in a construction zone. No points.

21655.5 (b) Improper Use of Preferential Lanes
$490; $532 in a safety zone; $648 in a construction zone. No points.

Neither is correctable.

Vehicle Code Violations used in Negligent Operator Counts

Reactions: BYE FOSL
21655.9 (b) Driving Low Emission Vehicle Without Required Decal or Label
$238; $532 in a safety zone; $648 in a construction zone. No points.

21655.5 (b) Improper Use of Preferential Lanes
$490; $532 in a safety zone; $648 in a construction zone. No points.

Neither is correctable.

Vehicle Code Violations used in Negligent Operator Counts
That’s fine, but neither of those apply if you actually have the decals issued for the vehicle attached the vehicle. Neither of those statutes reference improper application of valid decals.

This will most likely be a dumb thread, but a need to know for me...

How many of you with HOV purple decals are NOT putting the decal on the front bumper? I've seen some of you guys on the 405 and 22 but only have caught the back of the cars and not the front

I've noticed alot of model 3s without front license plates either...

Mine is ONLY centered to the right of my rear license plate.