Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV decal front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is probably legal. White was the last color under the old law, red was the first under the new law. The new law made white stickers all expire at the end of 2018. So to not screw the people that got whites at the end of the old law (people were getting white stickers even into the beginning of 2018), there was an era of white stickers cars that were eligible to get new red stickers. And some people just put both on the car.
So I finally had some time to go back through some of my old dashcam clips and here's the Tesla S from 3/25:

DualHOVStickers.jpg

The other car was an e-Golf, not a Volt, but I couldn't get a good enough capture.

WAIT! Are people suggesting it’s unclear about where to place stickers? It’s the Wild Wild West of HOV Stickers. Terrific show, by the way. I just love the way they solve crimes. Anyway, I digress. Just put the stickers on the car. I’m sure the CHP has total comprehension about where the stickers should be placed. And they have a passion about accurate placement.

I applied for mine a week and a half ago. Waiting for them to arrive! Anyone know how long it takes?

Back on topic, so I have PPF for the stickers but was not putting the front on or rocking a front plate. The front of my car has Xpel Ultimate clear PPF. I have PPF for the front sticker too but am afraid of putting PPF over PPF, has anyone done this? Does it work?

applied for mine a week and a half ago. Waiting for them to arrive! Anyone know how long it takes?

Mine took about 2 months..

Back on topic, so I have PPF for the stickers but was not putting the front on or rocking a front plate. The front of my car has Xpel Ultimate clear PPF. I have PPF for the front sticker too but am afraid of putting PPF over PPF, has anyone done this? Does it work?

My car is getting full exterior Xpel Ultimate ppf right now. The installer does do the ppf over ppf you are mentioning. I finally decided to go with @skylargray clean cling removable fabric sticker. I tested the clean cling out on my 2016 Volt with Xpel Ultimate and the clean cling really sticks and is easy to remove.

Reactions: MelaniainLA

Derek - I just received these magnets from Amazon. When I try sticking them to the car they don't seem like they are very strong. It just takes a light touch to remove them. Were yours like that too? I'm a little reluctant to permanently stick the decal to these things until I know for sure they are going to stay on the car. I'm assuming you removed the white paper that comes with it and applied the decal to the sticky side that becomes exposed when you remove the white liner paper?

Derek - I just received these magnets from Amazon. When I try sticking them to the car they don't seem like they are very strong. It just takes a light touch to remove them. Were yours like that too? I'm a little reluctant to permanently stick the decal to these things until I know for sure they are going to stay on the car. I'm assuming you removed the white paper that comes with it and applied the decal to the sticky side that becomes exposed when you remove the white liner paper?
The way I tested my magnetic material is to cut the pieces out and stick it somewhere on the car where it would be tested well (like the hood). Then I drove around at freeway speeds to ensure the magnetic material didn't move. Only after testing all of that did I attach the HOV stickers to the material.

That doesn't sound right. I didn't have to remove any paper. One side was black (magnet surface) and the other had white paper. I stuck the HOV sticker to this white side, and the exposed black magnet side is what I stick to the trunk and 1/4 panel.

I have been driving with both of those pictured on the car at up to 90mph and they stay on. I wouldn't say it's stuck on HARD, but it's not so easy to remove either.

21655.9 (b) Driving Low Emission Vehicle Without Required Decal or Label
$238; $532 in a safety zone; $648 in a construction zone. No points.

21655.5 (b) Improper Use of Preferential Lanes
$490; $532 in a safety zone; $648 in a construction zone. No points.

Neither is correctable.

Hmmm.

Does this mean if an EV driver is caught in an HOV lane without decals (or passengers); they get an extra fine for not having decals?

While the guy driving the Ford F-250 Service Truck (without passengers) only gets the Improper Lane Use fine?

That doesn't sound right. I didn't have to remove any paper. One side was black (magnet surface) and the other had white paper. I stuck the HOV sticker to this white side, and the exposed black magnet side is what I stick to the trunk and 1/4 panel.

I have been driving with both of those pictured on the car at up to 90mph and they stay on. I wouldn't say it's stuck on HARD, but it's not so easy to remove either.

OK. If you remove the white paper there is an adhesive behind it but I’m not sure why you would need it since the decal has its own adhesive. I think I’ll try leaving the white paper on with one sticker and see how well it sticks. Thanks for the quick reply.

The way I tested my magnetic material is to cut the pieces out and stick it somewhere on the car where it would be tested well (like the hood). Then I drove around at freeway speeds to ensure the magnetic material didn't move. Only after testing all of that did I attach the HOV stickers to the material.

That’s a great idea, thanks for the suggestion! Did you use the same material as Derek?

https://www.amazon.com/Cut-Size-Bum...01LYGOXU2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

2011 Nissan Leaf, decal rear right of Plate
2016 Chevy Volt, decal rear right Plate

Located in San Diego, never used more then one decal in all of those years and never heard of anyone being stop for a decal violation in San Diego or mentioned on the other Car forums. Good to know, Learn something new every day. I will read the instructions off the ones in the Volt as i kept those in the glove box, the certificate the decals come with need to have matching serial numbers with the decals and the cops can request to see it, that’s all i know. waiting for my Red Stickers. My new M3 is bad ass.

Fred

Noooooo LoL thanks

Too bad as the red in red would cancel out.

One of the accessories online stores carry the Ca. HOV under sticker protection film.. and their ad does say you need all 4 decals, that kinda sucks.

Fred
Couple of thoughts.

1. Refer back to my pictures to see what the purple looks like, and how to easily minimize their visual impact.
2. Mine are installed over PPF, and I highly recommend this approach if for nothing else, being able to reposition them until you are happy with the placement.
3. Please don't rely on a product advertisement for what is needed to abide by any law. The DMV instructions, the CAVC, and finally CHP knowledge are the only things that matter here. And the DMV includes quite clear instructions about placement.
4. It'll be OK. You'll survive the decals for four years, as you have (partially!) before. :)

Last edited:
The bigger size purple HOV stickers are slightly larger than the respective red ones.....
Which is a bit of an issue with the pre-cut PPF decals that the companies are making. They only sorta, kinda fit the decals. Personally, I find that it is easier to use a sheet of PPF and just cut them out individually with scissors. It really isn't that difficult to cut them better than the pre-cut stuff.