Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV decal front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. Please don't rely on a product advertisement for what is needed to abide by any law. The DMV instructions, the CAVC, and finally CHP knowledge are the only two things that matter here.
Uh... that's three. Been watching too much Monty Python and the Holy Grail? :D

I still haven't put my third sticker on (front left corner). The fourth sticker, one of the smaller ones, probably won't go on at all. I put the large one meant for the right side rear on the corner of the bumper so that it is visible from the side and back at the same time. All are on self-cut PPF.

Uh... that's three. Been watching too much Monty Python and the Holy Grail? :D

I still haven't put my third sticker on (front left corner). The fourth sticker, one of the smaller ones, probably won't go on at all. I put the large one meant for the right side rear on the corner of the bumper so that it is visible from the side and back at the same time. All are on self-cut PPF.
I ilke to under-promise and over-deliver.

I agree that putting ONE on the rear corner that can be seen from the back and the side should have been sufficient. But those crazy law-makers didn't consult with us smart folks, I'm afraid. It is all silly. But we play the game.... and cheat where we can. :)

Couple of thoughts.

1. Refer back to my pictures to see what the purple looks like, and how to easily minimize their visual impact.
2. Mine are installed over PPF, and I highly recommend this approach if for nothing else, being able to reposition them until you are happy with the placement.
3. Please don't rely on a product advertisement for what is needed to abide by any law. The DMV instructions, the CAVC, and finally CHP knowledge are the only two things that matter here. And the DMV includes quite clear instructions about placement.
4. It'll be OK. You'll survive the decals for four years, as you have (partially!) before. :)
Re: #3 the instructions are as basic as it gets and anyone deviating is purposely doing so or blind.

3DB36327-5059-40B7-BAC5-A4A6763D2951.jpeg

Which is a bit of an issue with the pre-cut PPF decals that the companies are making. They only sorta, kinda fit the decals. Personally, I find that it is easier to use a sheet of PPF and just cut them out individually with scissors. It really isn't that difficult to cut them better than the pre-cut stuff.
Agreed. While doing this, I also recommend to trim the white borders by about half of their thickness for non-white cars. Makes the stickers look more tolerable.

Agreed. While doing this, I also recommend to trim the white borders by about half of their thickness for non-white cars. Makes the stickers look more tolerable.
Good idea. I just lopped a flat part off the bottom of all mine. The white border on my car disappears of course.

Oh! Another pro tip: round the two "sharp" corners of the decal. This will prevent a cleaning rag from catching and pulling up that corner as you scrub the road tar off those rear quarter panels. If you look closely, you can see the rounding of the white border that I did here. Oh hey... you can also see my dog. :) Camera seems to have distorted the rear wheel... looks like crazy camber! No wonder it corners so well.
190405.026.JPG

View attachment 393374 Here is what mine looks like on the magnet sheets. I only put them on when committing to or from work:

You've appear to have them on backwards, at least as documented for 2020 stickers (and I assume, but don't *know*, that it would be same earlier).

From CA DMV clear air decal instructions I received today: "Large" goes on rear quarter panel (one on each side of car), and the "small" goes on the right side of each bumper (i.e., on the bumper), front and rear bumpers.

You've appear to have them on backwards, at least as documented for 2020 stickers (and I assume, but don't *know*, that it would be same earlier).

From CA DMV clear air decal instructions I received today: "Large" goes on rear quarter panel (one on each side of car), and the "small" goes on the right side of each bumper (i.e., on the bumper), front and rear bumpers.

You can’t use magnets on the bumpers since they are not made of metal. But you are correct that using the magnets does not allow you to install the decals according to the instructions provided by the DMV.

But anyone using the magnets is already ignoring the requirement that the decals be permanently affixed to the vehicle anyway. I use them because I hate the look of the stickers. But I recognize that I could get ticketed for using them this way.

Reactions: lUtriaNt