Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Red Sticker Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be some conflicting information out there, so I'm wondering if anybody might know the answer to this question. I'm hopefully taking delivery of a 2013 CPO Model S next week. I called the DMV to question if it had white stickers issued, and they told me that the previous owner applied for them in July, 2017. Stickers were not issued before that date.

According to the CA clean air web site:

Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals The California DMV is now issuing a new "Red" decal for all qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9 that will be valid until January 1, 2019. Owners of vehicles issued a Red, Green or White HOV decal from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018, may apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022. There are income requirements and other details regarding this new California Clean Air Decal program. Information on the color of the new sticker and application date and process have not yet been released.

It seems that based on this information, I am eligible to reapply for a red sticker and it should be valid until 2022.

There is another link on that web site that includes a table that has some conflicting information. Apparently, if I apply for the red sticker in 2018, it will expire on January 1, 2019. But if I apply for that same sticker after January 1, 2019, it will be valid until 2022.

redsticker.jpeg

I'm taking this information from the CA clean air web site, and the conflicting information is here.

So the question is...should I wait until January 1, 2019 to apply for the red sticker or should I apply immediately?

Reactions: Pluto
I purchased my car new in June. It looks like I would get an extra half-year if I wait and apply after January 1, 2019 for a sticker that would be valid through 2022. If I apply now, and reapply after January 1, the sticker would only be valid through 2021. Does anyone else read this the same way?

I purchased my car new in June. It looks like I would get an extra half-year if I wait and apply after January 1, 2019 for a sticker that would be valid through 2022. If I apply now, and reapply after January 1, the sticker would only be valid through 2021. Does anyone else read this the same way?
...unless I can again reapply after January 1, 2022, I suppose.

By my read of the bill, if you apply on 1/1/19 for new stickers on a never stickered EV, you get the ''fractional year' of issue (essentially all of 2019) plus 3 additional years. Thus your new red stickers expire 12/31/2022. So basically 4 years. And if you have any stickers issues in 2017 or 2018, you can reapply but only get stickers (red) good through 12/31/2021.

Reactions: Pluto and McManX
I'm actually confused by this. I currently have a red sticker that I received in June for my 2018 Model 3. I think these expire this year (boy that is stupid). Question is when would I apply for the "new" 2019 sticker? I certainly don't want to wait too long and miss out.

I'm actually confused by this. I currently have a red sticker that I received in June for my 2018 Model 3. I think these expire this year (boy that is stupid). Question is when would I apply for the "new" 2019 sticker? I certainly don't want to wait too long and miss out.

I would apply in October ...my experience with 2 applications so far is it takes around 2- 2 1/2 months

What if you get another set of red stickers in Dec because you applied too early? :p I would wait until they announce something about next year first... not sure when though.

Honestly I have been driving on expired stickers for awhile there really is no easy visual way to check unless it’s asked for ...:rolleyes:

I don't understand the rules. I am reapplying with my Rav4 EV, if they issue new stickers great. If not, I'll just take the Tesla on roadtrips and drop my EVgo subscribtion.

Let me see if I can simplify a bit (...after going over the twisted CA DMV rules on HOV stickers):

First, the stickers go with the VIN/vehicle, not the driver/owner.
Even if it is a used EV car, or a qualifying EV previously registered in CA or another state, if it has not had any HOV stickers, you get to 'start from scratch'.
You need to have the car registered in CA (of course...).
Such a 'virgin' car can be assigned the new red stickers in 2018. If you choose to do it now, then the stickers run for the 'fractional year' of application, and 3 calendar years, so they expire 1/1/2022.
If a 'virgin' car applies after 1/1/2019, then you get the fractional year and 3 full years, so those stickers expire 1/1/2023.
I you have a car which got white stickers in 2017 or 2018, you can reapply for red stickers after 1/1/2019, and they theoretically are good until 1/1/2022.
If you have a vehicle with white stickers obtained before 1/1/2017, your stickers expire 1/1/2019, and the is no renewal or extension.
AFAIK, right now the CA DMV is shipping out red stickers. I have not heard how they will tweak sticker color to deal with the varying expiration dates, since going forward, there will be a rolling 3+ year expiration date. The CHP is going to have a lot of fun with this....

Make sense??

I am not too sure on this. If you get the red sticker after 1/1/2019, I think it will still expire on 1/1/2012. Maybe they will let you reapply for the next color sticker just like the White sticker to Red.

...we might disagree a bit. I cannot tell you what color or colors of stickers the CA DMV will concoct over the years, but my read of the law is that a vehicle that waits until 1/1/2019 to apply will get 4 full years, however if you must have a HOV sticker now, and thus apply now you get 3 full years and whatever is left of 2018 when you get your red (...current color choice) stickers.