Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Stickers Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't get a clear answer from my DS about this. My car is due for delivery this month.

My S60 will be the fourth EV in our household. We applied for the stickers for two of them, but the process for each of those for getting the HOV stickers was different. For our Chevy Spark EV, the dealer actually applied for the stickers the day of delivery with its own name by just using the VIN. The stickers came in 3 weeks total. For our VW e-Golf, the dealer didn't do that and made me wait until the title/registration was in my name with the license plates for me to apply for the HOV/Clean Air Decals. This took 8 weeks.

Will my DS apply for my car's stickers on Tesla's behalf with just the VIN, which expedites the process? Or, do I have to wait for the car to be in my name and apply later on? This makes the whole process longer.

When I leased my Leaf. the HOV stickers were already on the car, the dealer says they do this to all their LEAFs, get the HOV stickers before. Not sure how that's possible if it requires the plate. I was driving my LEAF with HOV stickers and no plate for quite a few months.

-ThinkMac-

When I leased my Leaf. the HOV stickers were already on the car, the dealer says they do this to all their LEAFs, get the HOV stickers before. Not sure how that's possible if it requires the plate. I was driving my LEAF with HOV stickers and no plate for quite a few months.

-ThinkMac-

This was discussed in another thread somewhere. Basically, dealers are allowed a specific number of stickers they can request. I doubt they were able to apply for each of their vehicles; otherwise, Tesla would do this as well considering the premium price we are paying.

It's all about timing I think.

I applied BEFORE receiving my plates... left the license plate # field BLANK on my application - and they still approved it, and shipped me my stickers.

It total, it took about 1 month until I got the stickers.

I think I'll try and apply for the stickers with just the VIN (before getting the license plates). I just have to give a few days to make sure I'm the registered owner first (after Tesla has transferred it). That means 3-4 weeks.

Reactions: DoubleE
It's all about timing I think.

I applied BEFORE receiving my plates... left the license plate # field BLANK on my application - and they still approved it, and shipped me my stickers.

It total, it took about 1 month until I got the stickers.

Is this a fluke or can everyone apply for the stickers before they get their plates? I always thought you had to have your plates before your could apply.

Is this a fluke or can everyone apply for the stickers before they get their plates? I always thought you had to have your plates before your could apply.

I don't think it's a fluke. Within my direct family and friends/co-workers, they have applied with just the VIN (no license plates) with success. The trick is just to wait a few days or after you get the car to make sure the dealer or Tesla has notified the DMV that you're the new registered owner and transferred it.

The other thing people here are talking about is certain dealers apply on their behalf with just the VIN, as they are still the registered owner. I believe there is a limit to that though. That's what happened with our Spark EV. Then, when the stickers came, it was in Capitol Chevrolet's name. I should technically apply for a transfer to the DMV to have the decals/stickers transferred to my name, as I did when we bought our used 2012 Nissan Leaf in 2015 with existing HOV stickers. However, I'm not worried, because how many times are cops going to stop people just to check if the stickers are actually in the current registered owner's name.

Filled out the form today...I have a FL license but will be getting an MS with CA plates. Will this be an issue for receiving the sticker? On the form there were specific letter/number boxes for CA license number.
I have bad news for you. First, it is likely that you are not going to get the sticker. The sticker requires cars to be legally operating in the state, including proper licensing. Assuming that you reside in California, you are required to register your car within 20 days of establishing your residence. Second, you've basically just told them that you're breaking the law. Fortunately for you, the old snitchers program that they used to have is gone; there used to be a CHP website where all you had to do was enter the out of state license plate of a car that you believed that was violating this requirement. The possibilities:

1. You get a careless or uninformed DMV employee and they issue the sticker any way.
  2. You get a denial, but no fine or summons for failing to register your car.
  3. You get a denial PLUS you get a fine/summons for failing to register your car.

Anything is possible, but the likeliest scenario is #2. I was ticketed by a meter officer for not having plates back when I first moved to California.

I have bad news for you. First, it is likely that you are not going to get the sticker. The sticker requires cars to be legally operating in the state, including proper licensing. Assuming that you reside in California, you are required to register your car within 20 days of establishing your residence. Second, you've basically just told them that you're breaking the law. Fortunately for you, the old snitchers program that they used to have is gone; there used to be a CHP website where all you had to do was enter the out of state license plate of a car that you believed that was violating this requirement. The possibilities:

1. You get a careless or uninformed DMV employee and they issue the sticker any way.
  2. You get a denial, but no fine or summons for failing to register your car.
  3. You get a denial PLUS you get a fine/summons for failing to register your car.

Anything is possible, but the likeliest scenario is #2. I was ticketed by a meter officer for not having plates back when I first moved to California.

I appreciate the insight. It has nothing to do with operating legally or illegally...as my primary residence is in Florida. I have a secondary residence in CA where the Tesla will be operated...legally, with CA plates.

Considering I cannot be licensed in multiple states, I feel I can make the argument that I am deserving of the sticker.

Thoughts on that?

I appreciate the insight. It has nothing to do with operating legally or illegally...as my primary residence is in Florida. I have a secondary residence in CA where the Tesla will be operated...legally, with CA plates.

Considering I cannot be licensed in multiple states, I feel I can make the argument that I am deserving of the sticker.

Thoughts on that?
From what I can find online, the sticker program is based only on the state the car is registered in, not on the owner's residency. I know for sure (because I've done it) that you can register a car in CA without being a resident or having a CA license. I wouldn't be surprised if the out of state license makes it a little harder to get your sticker app through in a timely manner, though.

My bigger worry would be operating a CA-registered vehicle with an out-of-state license. If your domicile is in Florida (i.e. for tax purposes) and you do not work in CA, you are legally a part-time resident and *should* be able to drive with your Florida license without issue, but you might get hassled if you're pulled over. If you do work in CA and pay income tax to CA, you are a CA resident according to the state of CA you should have a license here, not in FL.

If you're military you just fill out a Nonresident Form and everything is super easy.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

Thoughts on that?

Sorry, I totally misread your post. I thought you were referencing FL plates, not FL drivers license. My bad. I would be very surprised, then, if you can't get a sticker in that case.