Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if they could actually enforce this or just scare people off from setting it to 3? If you have really dark tinted windows in the back, there is no way a camera could see into your back seat and say you have 0 passenger in the back right? I guess they could mail out tickets to all the cars setting to 3 with no passenger in the front, but unless they got a clear picture of the back seats, you could still fight the ticket.
There’s always the dummy method.
giphy-13.gif

Do you know which color lights corresponds to which setting?
Some googling revealed the following...
Roadside Enforcement Indicator Lights
The Zone Controllers drive overhead enforcement lights.The enforcement lights indicate one of
the four following events:
 Flashing Blue-Transponder switch indicates SOV (or non-Self Declaring
transponder)
 White Light-Transponder switch indicates HOV-2
 Blue Light-Transponder switch indicates HOV-3
 All Three Lights Flash-Violation: No transponder was associated with the vehicle or
the transponder present in the vehicle is invalid or has a bad account status.
The enforcement lights remain illuminated until either of the following occurs:
 850 milli-seconds elapse (configurable).
 A different light illumination becomes necessary because of a vehicle arriving before
the time above has expired.

Nope. Pretty pissed as well. The 110 is my entire commute.

If you are feeling vocal here is a link to the entire board of directors..... Board Administration

Personally. My commute is 95% expresslane. I sold my paid off car (green sticker) in late December. Have applied for purple with new car. But. Had I known I might have made different decisions. Tolls will cost me $550-$700 a month.

I’m frustrated. How hard would it have been to send an email when this was decided. Instead they wait til 19 days AFTER ab544 required us to have a new car to get the sticker. I called my county supervisor (she’s also on the metro board) and her transportation person was shocked that there was no prior notification. Theres a metro board meeting Thursday downtown. I’m contemplating going to at least share my perspective.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
is this white border that everybody is complaining about any bigger than the white border that is on the Red sticker, and was on the Green sticker? If so, that doesn't look so bad, no worse than the entire sticker. My previous BEV had a white sticker, so any white border was invisible!!

• Informative
Reactions: sbtz
I was hoping the color would be silver this time.

I applied the red sticker on my Model S and X. *Sigh* the original white sticker looked SO MUCH BETTER than the red one on silver body.

I miss the white stickers now. :(

The purple sticker will be downgrade of the aesthetics of my Model 3. But I love HOV lane; I have no choice.

Serious question... just bought a 2018 model 3... can I wait and buy next year to get a presumably (how much worse can it get) improved sticker color?

You will get your sticker, based on the year you apply. You can wait another year or 2 without any drawbacks.

I.e.
Apply in 2019 for sticker that expires in 2023
Apply in 2020 for sticker that expires in 2024
Apply in 2021 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2022 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2023 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2024 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2025 for sticker that expires in 2025

You will get your sticker, based on the year you apply. You can wait another year or 2 without any drawbacks.

I.e.
Apply in 2019 for sticker that expires in 2023
Apply in 2020 for sticker that expires in 2024
Apply in 2021 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2022 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2023 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2024 for sticker that expires in 2025
Apply in 2025 for sticker that expires in 2025

There is no guarantee that the program will be renewed every year, or that it will be for 4 years.