Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed letter 1/7/2019 I will assume this will take a long time as Tesla sold plethora of cars towards end of the quarter and many like myself waited for January to apply for Purple sticker to last extra year. since its a check, Ill see when they cash $22. then ill buy some clear 3M tape to use on bumper as suggested by other members somewhere.

SkPDhFE.gif

I'm also going to use ppf film for the HOV stickers. Just removed the Green HOV stickers from our 2016 Volt and it took longer than I expected. Tried using the "peanut butter" trick, but it didn't work for me. Ended up getting goo gone.

my application was processed on 12/27/18 and i received my red stickers on 1/5/19. meh.

i have a ceramic coating on the car so i put the stickers on some xpel ppf and put the ppf on my car. now i can remove it whenever i want.

Processed 4 days before the new year and couldn't just give you the purple ones instead? They don't know or they don't care. Why I sent my application on 1/2 just in case they go off postage date.

Okay some answers... I filed mine form on or about Dec 1st... (not for a Model 3 but suspect that does not matter at all)

- I did not have plates and left the field blank (I later got plates, maybe 5 days later)
- My checked was cash (showed up at bank as cashed) Monday Jan 7th 2019.
- Got RED stickers today Jan 9th 2019 (they were issued after Jan 1st 2019)

Hmmm, seems this does not conform to the ARB or DMV website that says stickers ISSUED Jan 1 2019 to Dec 31 2019 would be purple and expire in 2023. Not sure if they are going by, submitted date, received date, purchase date (may very well be) or they just have red stickers left.

I wrote the ARB helpline (DMV of course does not have any such help line) basically asking how do I exchange red stickers issued after Jan 1st for purple ones? I do not suspect that will yield any results but felt it was worth asking.

I looked for any commentary or process on this (may prior years someone got wrong sticker) I could not find anything to reference.

The DMV website is clear in the language that stickers ISSUED in 2019 should be purple though other news sources have used the term "vehicles purchased."

Seems there is some action which could be taken as the DMV (as far as I know) is not acting in accordance with the CA statute (like if they gave you a smaller refund then the law described), just not sure how to actually compel the DMV to fix it.

Just so folks have more info.

G

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Okay some answers... I filed mine form on or about Dec 1st... (not for a Model 3 but suspect that does not matter at all)

- I did not have plates and left the field blank (I later got plates, maybe 5 days later)
- My checked was cash (showed up at bank as cashed) Monday Jan 7th 2019.
- Got RED stickers today Jan 9th 2019 (they were issued after Jan 1st 2019)

Hmmm, seems this does not conform to the ARB or DMV website that says stickers ISSUED Jan 1 2019 to Dec 31 2019 would be purple and expire in 2023. Not sure if they are going by, submitted date, received date, purchase date (may very well be) or they just have red stickers left.

I wrote the ARB helpline (DMV of course does not have any such help line) basically asking how do I exchange red stickers issued after Jan 1st for purple ones? I do not suspect that will yield any results but felt it was worth asking.

I looked for any commentary or process on this (may prior years someone got wrong sticker) I could not find anything to reference.

The DMV website is clear in the language that stickers ISSUED in 2019 should be purple though other news sources have used the term "vehicles purchased."

Seems there is some action which could be taken as the DMV (as far as I know) is not acting in accordance with the CA statute (like if they gave you a smaller refund then the law described), just not sure how to actually compel the DMV to fix it.

Just so folks have more info.

G
Did the DMV letter that came with your red sticker state when your application was processed? They could have processed your application before 12/31 and that's why you received a Red sticker.

I sent in an application back in September and I never got the sticker. I had to call them and they said it was processed back in September and to send in another application and indicate "never received". I asked what color I would get and they said Red. Seems like they are not willing to budge.