TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CA HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chronopc, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Campfamily

Campfamily Member

Doesn't have anything to do with Trump or the EPA, it's a California thing. And, with the legislators we currently have, including our wonderful governor (tongue in cheek), I'm thinking this will be a benefit that will be around for a while.

2. Campfamily

Campfamily Member

I'm sure people have, I know I've seen them taped to the inside of the rear windows. But, the statute clearly states where the stickers need to be applied, and the windshield (or the rear window) isn't compliant.

3. ceekz

ceekz Member

I applied before I received the plates. The signed purchase agreement was required.

4. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

I did as well on my S and my application got rejected, so it's a crapshoot. I'm waiting (painfully) this time around until I get my plates.

5. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

Given the sales numbers of the Model 3 in the big CA metro areas I suspect they will stop issuing HOV stickers long before 2025 or even 2022. The HOV lanes are overcrowded as it is (and there are federal regulations that say something like they shouldn't have an average load of over 45%). Converting HOV lanes to express lanes with dynamic pricing (which are or will be no longer free for EVs) will alleviate this somewhat, but the number of Model 3s in the Bay Area and south CA will probably overwhelm them anyway.

6. boriszima

boriszima Member

I agree.
    L.A. County will consider tighter rules for carpool and toll lanes

from the article
    "Carpool lanes and toll lanes that receive federal funds must maintain an average speed of 45 mph 90% of the time during peak periods. Two thirds of California's lanes did not meet that benchmark in the second half of 2015, according to the most recent data available from Caltrans."

Due to saturation of BEV and PHEV in California, HOV lanes are almost always jammed as the rest of the road. I assume that is the next action plan, make it HOV and express lane with some variable pricing for time of day and what type of car. For now, Once I get my sticker, i will enjoy the HOV lanes here in Los Angeles.

7. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

The Model 3 numbers will be somewhat offset by those BEV and PHEV that are ineligible for sticker renewal. Also, it’s not 100% adoption by Model 3 owners. Of the 4 friends who bought one, none have HOV stickers. We live in the burbs so not arguing it’s a representative sample but it’s also not a given. The HOV lanes are crowded for sure regardless.

8. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

I’d say the number 1 or 2 reasons Los Angeles/Orange County/Major Metro HOV lanes are a mess is the complete disregard for the law. I stopped driving in the HOV lane as a solo driver with my white stickered S85, and have not started yet with my 3 since I don’t have my sticker yet. Simple. Obey the law, leave 15 minutes earlier (or a lot more). No one owes me anything, I’m not a snowflake.

I’m not holier than thou, I have my issues, but now that I am driving on the right side of the double white HOV lines, I easily count over a hundred violators per 15 -20 miles trips daily (hey, I’ve got autopilot so extra mental processing power for the task), and that’s not counting those who crisscross them with abandon.

The state could probably fund an entirely new lane, or at least 1 or 2 of Elon’s tunnels by jacking the fine for violators and then enforcing it.

• Like x 3
  9. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I agree on the serious number of violators who simply ignore CA HOV lanes rules because I have seen very little enforcement of it.

• Like x 2
  10. engle

engle Member

I'm always in the HOV lane with my wife and sometimes 3 people so I never bothered to paperwork for a sticker. It is possible to ignore single white lines when the express lanes exit to enter them if nobody is exiting (just saying :). Doesn't CA VC law state single white solid lines can be crossed with caution, but you aren't supposed to cross over double-whites? I'm noticed people cross into the express lanes over the double whites all the time and nobody ever gets cited for it in my experience driving around Silicon Valley.

@Camera-Cruiser I'm not a "snowflake" either (had to google that! :) but I believe life is too short to wait in traffic if you don't have to. Since I'm self-employed I'm very fortunate I can drive whenever I want to avoid the "commute". The masses are brainwashed by the State, their public educations, the corporate media, all the B.S. articles on LinkedIn, etc. etc. to do the bidding of "The Corporations" so those of us fortunate to be in "The Stockholder Class" and/or "The Owner's Class" can collect our increasing dividends and/or rents from the downtrodden masses most of which unfortunately don't have any savings to pay for an unexpected car repair!

Sorry (not really) to continue off topic but it's 2:18 am PST and I'm taking a break now.

I really enjoy "Dash Cam" mode on my 3! I bought a 256 GB tiny thumb drive. Now I can save countless captures of idiots in gasoline-powered vehicles crossing over no-man's land in front of the gore points in Silicon Valley, etc. I've been too busy to download and post some on YouTube.

Eventually, as the adoption of safe BEVs like Teslas continues to soar, the people stuck riding on a tank of explosive CA Proposition 65 fumes will be at an evolutionary disadvantage to the rest of us. :oops:

Speaking of said adoption, I have been making it a point to find excuses to "car pool" with non-EV people in my sphere of influence. For example, Saturday I invited the handyman that does a lot of work on my company's listings and rentals to ride with me from a Fremont job site to Hayward to check out a 4-plex that needs work. Normally, he would have followed me in his pick-up truck. He said he'd never been in a Tesla before. He was blown away by the Model 3! I told him about the $35K base + $5K EAP model expected in 4-6 months minus credits/rebates. He said he would buy one for his wife because that range is fine for her. Of course, I mentioned there will be a pick-up truck available in the future, too!

The only "problem" I have with my Model 3 Dual Motor is that it is even more fun to drive than my 2016 Model X P90D was because I can now fly around curves. Therefore, I tend to speed *a lot* when there aren't many vehicles around me. I still have a radar detector from my "early mid-life crisis" 2007 Black CLK 550 V8 convertible so I've managed to avoid tickets so far. I "heard" the 3 is very stable at 125 mph. I hope to rent and drive the performance version on the Autobahn the next time I'm in Europe @ 155 mph which as I recall is top speed for that model. :cool:

11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Anyone get a purple sticker yet?

12. Need

Need Active Member

Mailed the form and check on 1/3. Check has not been cashed yet.

• Like x 2
  13. 127.0.0.0

127.0.0.0 Member

Mailed the form and check on 1/1 has not been cashed either..

• Like x 2
  14. Trevor B

Trevor B Banned

You can get ticketed for riding without a sticker (even if you have the requisite number of riders)

• Disagree x 2
  15. Campfamily

Campfamily Member

Huh?

• Like x 2
  16. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

Sent my check in in Dec 7th... Still haven't received mine

17. Moose408

Moose408 Member

As long as you have a Flex Fastrak tag set to 2 or 3 people you are good in express lanes with or without stickers as long as you have have the correct number of people.

18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

What state are you in? In CA you only need the stickers if you don't meet the HOV requirements with number of occupants.

19. DUBM3

DUBM3 Member

Mailed the check on 12/26 still not cashed yet!

20. engle

engle Member

That is exactly what I have the Flex Fastrak tag set to 2 people when just wife and I or 3 when our son is in the 3, too. I don't even have to attach it to the window with Velcro. I just lay it on the front left corner shelf area and it stays put there. It beeps reassuringly when the RFID(?) tag is read as it passes under a reader above the express lane.