Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, how did you get your HOV stickers before you get your license plate? does Tesla applies these HOA stickers and keeps just like other "EV Car" dealers? I really need HOV stickers ASAP, my car is set to deliver in two weeks, is there prep work I can do to expedite the process? perhaps can Tesla apply it beforehand (like my Chevy Bolt dealer did when I leased my car)?
You don't. Nope (although some CPOs may have stickers on them that can be transferred to you). Otherwise It's called pick up a passenger (maybe fellow employee at your company or neighbor going in same direction) or stay out of the lane and just grin and bear it. Alternatively risk a huge ticket.
Not that this helps Ritu, but in the past (with NON-Teslas), some car dealers are able to retrieve the plate number before your plates show up, so that you can put it on the form and send it in, before your plates arrive.

In other cases long ago (not sure about now), some dealers had green or white HOV stickers on hand for each of their qualifying vehicles in their inventory. They were able to hand you the stickers at the time of lease or sale. There's a legendary Toyota saleswoman in So Cal who had this lined up. She was able to do it for the Rav4 EVs and Plug-in Priuses in her inventory, back then. However, the green sticker part had to stop when it those were close to hitting a cap (which is moot now).

Again, how did you get your HOV stickers before you get your license plate? does Tesla applies these HOA stickers and keeps just like other "EV Car" dealers? I really need HOV stickers ASAP, my car is set to deliver in two weeks, is there prep work I can do to expedite the process? perhaps can Tesla apply it beforehand (like my Chevy Bolt dealer did when I leased my car)?

There are 2 numbers you can call for DMV to give them VIN and get your license plate # before it arrives in mail: Main DMV # is: 1-800-777-0133. The secret "back line" to their Sacramento HQ office that handles HOV sticker requests is: 916-657-8035. Call both and you'll have a plate # for sure within a week of taking delivery. Occasionally you get a jerk at the 916 number who refuses to help saying "be patient and wait" but if you call back and get someone else they'll help.

Or... you could just not drive in the HOV lane until you get your sticker. The other lanes also work. ;)
There are 2 numbers you can call for DMV to give them VIN and get your license plate # before it arrives in mail: Main DMV # is: 1-800-777-0133. The secret "back line" to their Sacramento HQ office that handles HOV sticker requests is: 916-657-8035. Call both and you'll have a plate # for sure within a week of taking delivery. Occasionally you get a jerk at the 916 number who refuses to help saying "be patient and wait" but if you call back and get someone else they'll help.
thanks ....

Again, how did you get your HOV stickers before you get your license plate?

You don't. Nope (although some CPOs may have stickers on them that can be transferred to you).

There have been many debates on the forum on this topic, claiming it can't be done yet many of us have done it. Its timing. TSLA is NOT a dealer and submits your registration papers within a day or two of taking delivery and I was told (and it worked) if I sent in my form without the plate number a week after delivery the plate number would be assigned in the DMV system. DMV receives your form, keys in the VIN and your plate number pops up...they handle the rest from there. My stickers arrived well in advance of the plates, two separate times. In full disclosure, I was especially impatient on the 2nd car, and used one of my stickers from the first car (only applied one). Once the new stickers arrived, I slapped on the new sticker on top of the old. They both only have one sticker on the back and I've had no problems after >50K miles of driving. Congrats on your new car @Ritu_o0o

Reactions: Ritu_o0o
The current white stickers actually expire on 1/1/2019! But if your sticker was issued in 2017 or 2018, you will be able to apply for a new sticker that expires on 1/1/2022.
and they will not get their act together for the new sticker until 2020 - I emailed CARB about it and they finally put something on their website and the DMV website which says they are examining the law. . . .that should take anyone with half a brain less than 20 min to figure out . . . and then decide whether they want to proactively issue a sticker or collect the new $22 to go through the whole stupid rigamarole of having to send them proof of your stickers being issued in 17 or 18, and a check. And then not get the process done until 2020 because its the DMV -

I will note that back in the day, you know 2013 and 2014 - Tesla was DELIVERING vehicles with car pool lane stickers.

I know - because I saw them in Tesla 'showrooms' where they were delivering stock vehicles. That was in LA. Beverly Hills / West Side / Calabasas etc. Those people refused to buy the car without access. . . it was the snob appeal of immediate access.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
and they will not get their act together for the new sticker until 2020 - I emailed CARB about it and they finally put something on their website and the DMV website which says they are examining the law. . . .that should take anyone with half a brain less than 20 min to figure out . . . and then decide whether they want to proactively issue a sticker or collect the new $22 to go through the whole stupid rigamarole of having to send them proof of your stickers being issued in 17 or 18, and a check. And then not get the process done until 2020 because its the DMV -

Welcome to the welfare state of California ... The DMV is hopeless :cool:

I'm glad our car is leased (bought 2016, stickers expire Jan 1 2019).

Makes so much more sense to lease than to buy, but the income limit is an issue. Not sure what the logic there is.. Half of the Bay Area is way above those limits.

If I can't get HOV privileges I might as well buy a nicer and cheaper ICE or hybrid.

• Funny
I'm glad our car is leased (bought 2016, stickers expire Jan 1 2019).

Makes so much more sense to lease than to buy, but the income limit is an issue. Not sure what the logic there is.. Half of the Bay Area is way above those limits.

If I can't get HOV privileges I might as well buy a nicer and cheaper ICE or hybrid.

The HOV "hack" is to have an infant car seat installed in the second row, middle seat. Place a realistic-looking infant doll in it, cover it with a blanket, and if/when pulled over, roll down your window and say "shhhhhh.. officer... baby just fell asleep... how can I help you?" Can get a cheap used infant seat on Craigslist... It's far better than an adult mannequin (which people have tried!) because the infant isn't expected to speak to the officer, let alone move.

You're welcome!

The HOV "hack" is to have an infant car seat installed in the second row, middle seat. Place a realistic-looking infant doll in it, cover it with a blanket, and if/when pulled over, roll down your window and say "shhhhhh.. officer... baby just fell asleep... how can I help you?" Can get a cheap used infant seat on Craigslist... It's far better than an adult mannequin (which people have tried!) because the infant isn't expected to speak to the officer, let alone move.

You're welcome!

Isn't lying to a police officer a felony?

I guess worth the risk compared to standing in traffic!

I obtained the stickers without providing a license plate. I applied about a week after I got the car and just used the VIN.

Rec'd at DMV (certified mail): Jan 8
Application Approved/Processed: Jan 26
Checked cleared: Jan 30
Postmark from DMV: Feb 8
Rec'd at home: Feb 10

The three weeks between receipt and approval seems appears pretty standard. I called the direct line to get status updates and they were friendly. However, they expected that the stickers would have been mailed within 2-3 days of approval. I was convinced that the stickers were lost in the mail. I'm glad they finally came.

I obtained the stickers without providing a license plate. I applied about a week after I got the car and just used the VIN.

Rec'd at DMV (certified mail): Jan 8
Application Approved/Processed: Jan 26
Checked cleared: Jan 30
Postmark from DMV: Feb 8
Rec'd at home: Feb 10

The three weeks between receipt and approval seems appears pretty standard. I called the direct line to get status updates and they were friendly. However, they expected that the stickers would have been mailed within 2-3 days of approval. I was convinced that the stickers were lost in the mail. I'm glad they finally came.
You got lucky, they're all backed up now. I sent my app mid-late Jan and they are still reviewing it, haven't even cashed my check yet!

You got lucky, they're all backed up now. I sent my app mid-late Jan and they are still reviewing it, haven't even cashed my check yet!

I also sent in mine in mid Jan. They just cashed my check early last week. I am hoping to get the stickers any day now.

Also I sent in my SCE $450 clean vehicle rebate mid Jan and they just mailed out the check yesterday to me.