Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You bought your cars NEW correct?

Yes.

You(r family) can afford two new Model S cars and still fall below the income limit to get the California rebate?

I am a young single, no kids, never had debts or loans, and I have low home mortgage. I don't spend much other than home mortgage and car payments, and occassionally eating out. This time of the tax season, however, I go over the limit for the rebate; therefore, I am lucky to have bought them in the right time.

So basically, it is possible to own both S & X for about 150K a year.

Yes.

I am a young single, no kids, never had debts or loans, and I have low home mortgage. I don't spend much other than home mortgage and car payments, and occassionally eating out. This time of the tax season, however, I go over the limit for the rebate; therefore, I am lucky to have bought them in the right time.

So basically, it is possible to own both S & X for about 150K a year.
Impressive!:)

I tried poking around the site, but to me it seems unclear what'll happen with the next program beginning on Jan 1, 2019? Probably a new sticker color at that point, since the rest of them would be expired?

Hopefully they can get that process going before the end of the year. We haven't received our stickers for the Model 3 (application mailed in around mid February).

I tried poking around the site, but to me it seems unclear what'll happen with the next program beginning on Jan 1, 2019? Probably a new sticker color at that point, since the rest of them would be expired?

Hopefully they can get that process going before the end of the year. We haven't received our stickers for the Model 3 (application mailed in around mid February).
Exactly and why I asked in case I missed something. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that it's red, white, green or rainbow at this point. Hopefully, they'll decide soon and announce.

Exactly and why I asked in case I missed something. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that it's red, white, green or rainbow at this point. Hopefully, they'll decide soon and announce.

Weren't they supposed to extend the red sticker program for some more years and let the white stickers expire? I thought that was what is going to happen.

Those with white stickers who purchased cars in 2017 or later would be able to re-apply for red stickers.

This is my understanding of it, but then again this is California and our politicians aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Weren't they supposed to extend the red sticker program for some more years and let the white stickers expire? I thought that was what is going to happen.

Those with white stickers who purchased cars in 2017 or later would be able to re-apply for red stickers.

This is my understanding of it, but then again this is California and our politicians aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

I re-applied for a replacement in the past when my old stickers got damaged, they require you to send back the old ones. I had to tell the body shop to take it out from the damaged bumpers. Only red stickers can re-apply after Jan 2109.

I don't see how anyone (e.g., CHP) could then see whether a red sticker expired, which right now, they say expires Jan 1, 2019. I think it makes sense that they'd have to extend when the red stickers expire as it seems super silly to issue a new color for between now and Jan 1, 2019...

I hope they're just trying to figure out specifics but actually have a plan... Maybe they are just allowing red stickers to last until Jan 1, 2022, but it seems weird to make everyone else get red stickers in the coming months.

Is the whole re-application process to make sure you still are within the sticker requirements? E.g., did not receive the rebate when over the income levels?

To be more specific, it's those who received white stickers in 2017 or later, not necessarily when you purchased your car. Therefore, you could buy an out of state electric vehicle and it would qualify for the new sticker extension.

I don't see how anyone (e.g., CHP) could then see whether a red sticker expired, which right now, they say expires Jan 1, 2019. I think it makes sense that they'd have to extend when the red stickers expire as it seems super silly to issue a new color for between now and Jan 1, 2019...

I hope they're just trying to figure out specifics but actually have a plan... Maybe they are just allowing red stickers to last until Jan 1, 2022, but it seems weird to make everyone else get red stickers in the coming months.

Is the whole re-application process to make sure you still are within the sticker requirements? E.g., did not receive the rebate when over the income levels?
I think they will allow those who received white/green stickers in 2017/2018 to reapply for red stickers, which expire Jan 1 2022. I anticipate them to release a new color every year, so enforcement can simply look by color to see which ones have expired, but I can imagine cops won't care enough to follow all the different colors of the rainbow to tell which have expired.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
When driving with the sticker in the metro express lanes, (Southern California) I assume you will have to set your fastrak module to 3 persons. If you are riding solo in the tesla without the sticker attached to the car with your module set to 3 persons, how would you get caught other than police actually looking for passengers?