Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the mention - just checked and he said it was not a fix it ticket - rather the full $491 carpool violation, unf.

That's what I've heard too.

I actually had a friend who crossed the double-white-lines for the express lane on a weekend. The cop wrote him up for the full $491 ticket. Technically, regardless of whether or not the HOV restrictions are active, you may never ever cross the double white lines 24/7/365.

Most cops won't be pricks. But I am not relying on a cop's good mood and compassionate attitude towards motorists to protect me from $500 tickets. You are more than welcome to :D

Reactions: caltechkid
@chillaban, I think you mis-read part of the vehicle code text when you bolded "property APPLIED". Vehicle code actually says "properly "DISPLAYED". There is a difference. Where's the definition as to what "properly displayed" is? Still think you'd have a case in court. Still hoping to hear from someone that as actually received a citation for this to see if it turned out to be a correctable citation.

I'd love to see this taken the court but unfortunately I don't think "in your glovebox / car" is "properly displayed". You're right I said applied instead of displayed, but the stickers literally come with a page of instructions on where to place each of the 3 stickers! The key word is properly displayed, and I'm willing to bet judges are going to take that to mean that you made a reasonable attempt to follow the instructions it came with.

Reactions: skilly
I plan on sticking mine to some of that removable vinyl then to the car. I dont need them daily, only trips down below to LA so I will just peel them off when parked so they dont get stolen.

I had someone unplug my car and I ended up getting ticket for "hogging" a charger. I think some folks exist that just get a kick out of causing harm to others regardless of whether or not it benefits them.

This is why I bought a j1772 charger lock for my S. I hated being unplugged in my Volt.

OP here. Thanks you guys for inputs. Quite informative.

I drove the 5 from Oceanside to Irvine for about 2 years with my S. They are patrolling, but I don't see them too often. As a Tesla, I think you'd slip under the radar long enough to make it worth it for you if traffic is bad. I've never seen an HOV camera except for the 15 in san diego (my new commute) or on the toll roads like 73 etc;

This is what I felt. I mean About 3 cops so far seem to have seen me driving alone. They were driving a little faster than me in the HOV lane and when I saw them I was like "S***, I should get out of the lane now." But all the cops just kept driving ahead without pulling me over.

But lesson learned here because some of you wrote that people did get tickets for driving solo. So I decided not to really push anymore luck and follow the rule. Still waiting for the white stickers. :(

As a sidebar, like someone mentioned in the thread, these stickers really should be ready when the car is delivered for less hassle. Or just send us the plates for EV owners (maybe a green plate??).

As a sidebar, like someone mentioned in the thread, these stickers really should be ready when the car is delivered for less hassle. Or just send us the plates for EV owners (maybe a green plate??).
Ya, a friend picked up her plug-in hybrid Fusion from the Ford dealer. They had the green stickers to provide upon vehicle delivery. Pretty good closing value proposition!

Not likely in California ... the HOV lanes are massively crowded and will be unbearable by 2019. :cool:

Is it possible that CA can extend the expiration beyond 2019?

It's been extended once, they could do so again. I kind of suspect they'll let the Green plug-in hybrid stickers expire in 2019 and extend the white stickers for another few years, but that's just a guess.

I applied for and received the stickers, then put them in the glovebox and drove my 2013 MS without being stopped for about 3 years, figuring that I'd just get them out and show the officer if I got pulled over. I plan to do the same with the 2017 model.

I used 3M bra film. Cut it out to the shape of the sticker. Apply sticker. Apply to car. The 3M film comes off later without scraping (or so everyone promises me :) ) It's been there for a few months now including carwashes and our wet winter. No issues.

It would be great to have more discussion of mounting methods for these stickers, which appear to be very tough on the paint finish if applied directly. Have others attempted maneuvers such as TR5642's? Has anyone figured out a way of being able to remove/reapply the stickers safely?

yes in this case, instead of waiting a month and paying $4.95, you get them right away and pay $7,000.00 (via losing the tax incentive) :)

Not sure what you mean? You still get all the tax incentives when a dealership pre-registers green/white stickers. I got both my federal credit and my state rebate and drove off the lot with my green stickers in hand on my Volt.

It's a setup that is allowed by the program. Tesla could do it that way too if they cared to. Not sure why they don't provide the service considering the premium market they are in.

• Helpful
Reactions: CzTom
It would be great to have more discussion of mounting methods for these stickers, which appear to be very tough on the paint finish if applied directly. Have others attempted maneuvers such as TR5642's? Has anyone figured out a way of being able to remove/reapply the stickers safely?

Hi @berkeley_ecar
I use only the one small sticker in the rear. Another thread has discussed that the law does not state that all 3 stickers need to be on the car. Only that it be displayed. Search for that thread if you want more detail.

The main thing is I stick it to the lower grey fascia, not the paint. So no paint damage to be had. Not sure if it would be removable intact, but at least it wouldn't screw up the paint. If you only use one sticker, then you have two more to work with in the future. Here is a pic. You can kinda see it on the lower right of the MS' rear end. Inconspicuous but legal. BTW That's Bjorn Nyland photobombing at the Fremont Factory!
IMG_0592.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: berkeley_ecar