TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

CA HOV White sticker

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Maximilien, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That's what I've heard too.

I actually had a friend who crossed the double-white-lines for the express lane on a weekend. The cop wrote him up for the full $491 ticket. Technically, regardless of whether or not the HOV restrictions are active, you may never ever cross the double white lines 24/7/365.

Most cops won't be pricks. But I am not relying on a cop's good mood and compassionate attitude towards motorists to protect me from $500 tickets. You are more than welcome to :D

• Like x 1
  2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I'd love to see this taken the court but unfortunately I don't think "in your glovebox / car" is "properly displayed". You're right I said applied instead of displayed, but the stickers literally come with a page of instructions on where to place each of the 3 stickers! The key word is properly displayed, and I'm willing to bet judges are going to take that to mean that you made a reasonable attempt to follow the instructions it came with.

• Like x 1
  3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I plan on sticking mine to some of that removable vinyl then to the car. I dont need them daily, only trips down below to LA so I will just peel them off when parked so they dont get stolen.

This is why I bought a j1772 charger lock for my S. I hated being unplugged in my Volt.

4. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

OP here. Thanks you guys for inputs. Quite informative.

This is what I felt. I mean About 3 cops so far seem to have seen me driving alone. They were driving a little faster than me in the HOV lane and when I saw them I was like "S***, I should get out of the lane now." But all the cops just kept driving ahead without pulling me over.

But lesson learned here because some of you wrote that people did get tickets for driving solo. So I decided not to really push anymore luck and follow the rule. Still waiting for the white stickers. :(

As a sidebar, like someone mentioned in the thread, these stickers really should be ready when the car is delivered for less hassle. Or just send us the plates for EV owners (maybe a green plate??).

5. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Ya, a friend picked up her plug-in hybrid Fusion from the Ford dealer. They had the green stickers to provide upon vehicle delivery. Pretty good closing value proposition!

6. Munk

Munk Member

The stickers take forever - submitted my CA DMV form on 1/14...still no word :(

7. demundus

demundus Member

This is the benefit of (dealerships) having a vehicle "pre registered" to a dealership for sale. When you buy your Tesla it hasn't changed hands from the MFG yet...

• Like x 1
  8. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

for what its worth, my check just got cashed this Monday... I submitted my app on 1/10

• Helpful x 1
  9. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Sounds promising. I think I sent the check and application around that day.

Hopefully mine get cashed out this week. *fingers crossed*

10. skilly

skilly Member

yes in this case, instead of waiting a month and paying $4.95, you get them right away and pay $7,000.00 (via losing the tax incentive) :)

11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Not likely in California ... the HOV lanes are massively crowded and will be unbearable by 2019. :cool:

12. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel Member

I applied for and received the stickers, then put them in the glovebox and drove my 2013 MS without being stopped for about 3 years, figuring that I'd just get them out and show the officer if I got pulled over. I plan to do the same with the 2017 model.

13. acarlos1000

acarlos1000 Member

I submitted my application on December 23rd and I just got the stickers on Feb 1st. :)

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

on a somewhat related California note, I just received an email today saying my $2,500 rebate app got approved and to expect the check within 90 days.... sent the app in at the same time as the stickers app. (1/10)

15. Drekar

Drekar Member

Thanks for the note. I submitted both of mine about 2 weeks after you so hopefully will hear soon.

16. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

It would be great to have more discussion of mounting methods for these stickers, which appear to be very tough on the paint finish if applied directly. Have others attempted maneuvers such as TR5642's? Has anyone figured out a way of being able to remove/reapply the stickers safely?

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean? You still get all the tax incentives when a dealership pre-registers green/white stickers. I got both my federal credit and my state rebate and drove off the lot with my green stickers in hand on my Volt.

It's a setup that is allowed by the program. Tesla could do it that way too if they cared to. Not sure why they don't provide the service considering the premium market they are in.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Hi @berkeley_ecar
    I use only the one small sticker in the rear. Another thread has discussed that the law does not state that all 3 stickers need to be on the car. Only that it be displayed. Search for that thread if you want more detail.

The main thing is I stick it to the lower grey fascia, not the paint. So no paint damage to be had. Not sure if it would be removable intact, but at least it wouldn't screw up the paint. If you only use one sticker, then you have two more to work with in the future. Here is a pic. You can kinda see it on the lower right of the MS' rear end. Inconspicuous but legal. BTW That's Bjorn Nyland photobombing at the Fremont Factory!
    IMG_0592.jpg

• Informative x 1
  19. lagomorph

lagomorph Member

Yes. I followed the instructions in this thread.

The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

It's a bit of work, but well worth it. I can even remove and reapply the same sticker set between washes.

20. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

Update: called today and told that my app was processed 2/4 and that I should expect my decals in 2-3 wks. They received my app on 1/11 and mentioned that the team was working overtime.