Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to replace my stickers due to them being scrapped after my accident. I had to order replacement stickers and holy crap were they sticklers on the replacements. I missed checking one box and had to resubmit. As I understand, it is two people in Sacramento that run this little sticker racket out of the statehouse or possibly some ancillary building.

As far as i understand, all 3 are to be displayed and that piece of paper showable upon demand of being requested for driving in HOZV lane. That's compliance.

The rest is speculation and just our good luck the CHP gives us such a pass most times for spedding, weaving and driving in the HOV without stickers.

FYi, sticker on my S, not on my wife's X, but she's always got backseat passengers.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I got rear ended 2 months ago in the HOV lane and they had to repaint my bumper. Good thing I never put them on. :) Paper and stickers are in glove box still. Plus if you have to replace them, it'll cost you somewhere around $22 not the $8 they used to go for. Unless you're in LA which I hear they do enforce, I'm not too worried in the Bay Area about them pulling you over with a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I paid $22 for the replacement one time early this year. One of my stickers had peeled off during a trip in the desert (presumably).
Do you mind sharing the process you went through to get replacements?

I only put the back sticker on and someone stole it off my car! So now I have the 2 side ones to put on or need to ask for replacements. Reading the form, it says I need a police report, etc. Any tips would be appreciated.

Do you mind sharing the process you went through to get replacements?

I only put the back sticker on and someone stole it off my car! So now I have the 2 side ones to put on or need to ask for replacements. Reading the form, it says I need a police report, etc. Any tips would be appreciated.

Selected "I am requesting Replacement Decals/ID Card" in Section 2, and in Section 4, "Replacement Decals are needed because original decals were Lost, Damaged, Destroyed, Faded"; Total number of decals destroyed - 3; Total number of decals surrendered - 0.
In Section 5, I wrote that the stickers peeled off during a drive in the desert in windy conditions. I also wrote that I did not have anything remaining to send them back.

My timing..... I live Southern California. I got my car on 9/28/2017. I got my License Plates on 10/22/2017. I sent in the application and $22 10/22/2017 (same day). My check cleared the bank on 11/16/2017. I got my white stickers on Monday 11/20/2017 (however, could have been in mail box on Saturday 11/14).

My timing..... I live Southern California. I got my car on 9/28/2017. I got my License Plates on 10/22/2017. I sent in the application and $22 10/22/2017 (same day). My check cleared the bank on 11/16/2017. I got my white stickers on Monday 11/20/2017 (however, could have been in mail box on Saturday 11/14).

Perhaps you should have waited another month. :)

• Funny
I finally attached the decal today after like 11 month of the purchase of Model S. For all this time, I didn't like it for aesthetic purpose and it was always in my glovebox, but after I attached it, it is not as bad as I thought.

I was worring about the police stopping me on the HOV lane, now I have peace of mind on freeways.

Perhaps you should have waited another month. :)
Maybe. But I do not plan to put them on. I seldom drive by myself (I do not commute for work). I plan to keep them in my glove box or maybe tape to back window. I just felt having them for that time I was stuck in traffic and decided to chance it.
As long as you purchased your Tesla after January 1, 2017 your HOV decals will not expire in 2019. :cool:
CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19
Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

Reactions: xanatos
As long as you purchased your Tesla after January 1, 2017 your HOV decals will not expire in 2019. :cool:
CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19
Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

I thought if you applied in 11/2017, the stickers expire on 1/1/2020 (or 1/1/2021; don't remember the details) and if you applied in 1/2018, they expire on 1/1/2021 (or 1/1/2022). In other words, waiting another month could have given an additional year of validity. That's what I was pointing to.

I thought if you applied in 11/2017, the stickers expire on 1/1/2020 (or 1/1/2021; don't remember the details) and if you applied in 1/2018, they expire on 1/1/2021 (or 1/1/2022). In other words, waiting another month could have given an additional year of validity. That's what I was pointing to.

Interesting reading of the Bill analysis from the official State Assembly/Senate Bill Analysis
SUMMARY: Creates a new program (upon expiration of the existing program) to grant, until September 30, 2025, federal inherently low emission vehicles (ILEVs) and transitional zero-emission vehicles (TZEVs) access to high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes for approximately a four-year period, regardless of vehicle occupancy level.
The Senate amendments:
1) Make vehicles that have been issued an HOV access decal before January 1, 2017, ineligible for those decals issued after January 1, 2017.
2) Ensure that HOV access decals issued between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, are valid until 2022.

3) Conditions eligibility to receive an HOV access decal on the applicant not having applied for or received a rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, unless the applicant meets certain income criteria.
4) Clarify processes with regard to issuing HOV access decals.
AS PASSED BY THE ASSEMBLY, this bill:
1) Provided that, for white HOV decals issued for ILEVs and green HOV decals issued for TZEVs, the following expiration dates apply:
a) Decals issued prior to January 1, 2018, are valid until January 1, 2019;
b) Decals issued on or after January 1, 2018, and before January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1, 2022; and,
c) Decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance
2) Prohibited a car buyer from participating in both the HOV access program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project consumer rebate program, unless the buyer's annual income falls below specified levels.
3) Provided for a 60-day enforcement transition period in the event that clean air vehicle access to HOV lanes is discontinued.
4) Sunset the HOV access provisions for clean air vehicles on September 30, 2025 (consistent with federal authority), and makes other, non-substantive changes to related provisions

• Informative
Reactions: iffatall
Interesting reading of the Bill analysis from the official State Assembly/Senate Bill Analysis
SUMMARY: Creates a new program (upon expiration of the existing program) to grant, until September 30, 2025, federal inherently low emission vehicles (ILEVs) and transitional zero-emission vehicles (TZEVs) access to high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes for approximately a four-year period, regardless of vehicle occupancy level.
The Senate amendments:
1) Make vehicles that have been issued an HOV access decal before January 1, 2017, ineligible for those decals issued after January 1, 2017.
2) Ensure that HOV access decals issued between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, are valid until 2022.

3) Conditions eligibility to receive an HOV access decal on the applicant not having applied for or received a rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, unless the applicant meets certain income criteria.
4) Clarify processes with regard to issuing HOV access decals.
AS PASSED BY THE ASSEMBLY, this bill:
1) Provided that, for white HOV decals issued for ILEVs and green HOV decals issued for TZEVs, the following expiration dates apply:
a) Decals issued prior to January 1, 2018, are valid until January 1, 2019;
b) Decals issued on or after January 1, 2018, and before January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1, 2022; and,
c) Decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance
2) Prohibited a car buyer from participating in both the HOV access program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project consumer rebate program, unless the buyer's annual income falls below specified levels.
3) Provided for a 60-day enforcement transition period in the event that clean air vehicle access to HOV lanes is discontinued.
4) Sunset the HOV access provisions for clean air vehicles on September 30, 2025 (consistent with federal authority), and makes other, non-substantive changes to related provisions
Do the Senate amendments supersede what was passed by the Assembly or the other way around? I got my stickers Sept 2017 so mine will either expire 1/1/19 or 1/1/22 depending on which one takes precedent.

Just a current update --

Car purchased 12/9/2017
plates ~ 12/18/2017
Title 12/22/2017

Form 1000 mailed to DMV 12/19/2017
USPS Priority Mail acceptance 12/19/2017
USPS then proceeded to send the envelope to The Sacramento distribution center, then to San Francisco, then back to Sacramento, then back to San Francisco, finally to the Sacramento distribution center on 12/23, not actually delivering it to the DMV until 12/27. Of course they hide behind their lack of delivery guarantee -

Now - once the DMV received it - they cashed the check on January 17, which is damn fast processing - so we expect the sticker shortly.

DMV has been incredibly quick on this purchase with everything . . .

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Somewhat on-topic, but I've seen some creative sticker placements on Tesla's lately. I thought the included instructions were straightforward but I guess not. The first had side stickers high up the rear panels like a few inches below the charge port. Must be for visibility?!

The second had the rear sticker right next to the rear license plate. Again, must be for visibility. God bless the owners.

• Funny