Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am still waiting for the white HOV sticker, anyone here got a ticket for driving HOV lane while waiting?

So far no cops have yet pulled me over, but I read by searching google that the cameras are there to issue a ticket.

Been there several times, would I get tickets in the following a few weeks?

How has your experience been for those who were in the same situation?

I only have one small white sticker on the rear diffuser, no side bumper stickers. Cop was next to me and attempted to pull me over because he didn't see the sticker. When he got behind me to flash his lights, he saw the small sticker and let me go.

They can definitely stop you in the HOV lane without stickers. Also, I think the express lane cams do look for the sticker too (but not 100% sure about that).

• Disagree
Reactions: Ampster
I only have one small white sticker on the rear diffuser, no side bumper stickers. Cop was next to me and attempted to pull me over because he didn't see the sticker. When he got behind me to flash his lights, he saw the small sticker and let me go.

They can definitely stop you in the HOV lane without stickers. Also, I think the express lane cams do look for the sticker too (but not 100% sure about that).

What about regular HOV lane like I-5?

WIthout a sticker they can ticket you.

With one, I've had cops behind me that drive right by...

I've posted this picture before.. (and others have used it)

Model S HOV Sticker Placement by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

That's the only sticker I've had on the Model S since 2013...

Mine (one sticker) is in the same place and I've passed and had CHP behind me with out incident.

I chose not to drive before I got the sticker... I do see people do that all the time though.

Same here with the one HOV sticker as you guys have shown. As far as driving in the HOV lane before you get the sticker, I didn't. Risk adverse. But it is a crap shoot. There is no denying your car qualifies. But some cops can be a stickler for details.

Same here with the one HOV sticker as you guys have shown. As far as driving in the HOV lane before you get the sticker, I didn't. Risk adverse. But it is a crap shoot. There is no denying your car qualifies. But some cops can be a stickler for details.

Sticker is required for the law to apply for solo HOV access...

The ticket for no sticker will stand.

I was pulled over a couple times for driving in HOV lane without stickers on my car and giving a warning each time. The first time the officer pulled me over for speeding and didn't mention anything about the stickers. The second time the officer pulled me over because I didn't have stickers and let me off with a warning.

I finally put them on because I didn't want push my luck and continue the chance of getting pulled over.

So I must say then I have been lucky so far because two motorcycle cops so far haven't ticketed me yet. They just either ignored or overlooked.

$22 I paid to DMV still has not been deducted. I don't know how long I have to wait more. It has been like at least 2 weeks so far.

But in HOV lane, I see so many people who drive ICE cars and still drive by themselves. It may be a chance game.

Bigger concern however is whether anyone got ticked from the DMV (not via cops) based on camera pictures in regular HOV lane.

While I am still waiting for the white HOV sticker, anyone here got a ticket for driving HOV lane while waiting?

So far no cops have yet pulled me over, but I read by searching google that the cameras are there to issue a ticket.

Been there several times, would I get tickets in the following a few weeks?

How has your experience been for those who were in the same situation?
It's no different IMHO than if you got pulled over for speeding, although i don't know if an HOV violation counts as a moving violation (points on record?).

But in the end, the scenario is going to be the same....what are you going to say to the officer if/when you get pulled over? Will you be able to talk your way out of it? Is it worth it?

Last edited:
I got pulled over in my Roadster once (with all three stickers) - cop said he didn't realize I was an EV until he'd turned on his lights, so he had to pull me over. Had a nice chat and he sped off to stop some ICE cheater.

No MS stickers yet, so I'm sticking to the slow lanes and playing with autosteer :) Once I do get the stickers, I'll put on only the small one, on the diffuser.