Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a used 2015 S that came with white stickers, purchased a few months ago, will not be able to use the HOV lanes in the near future?

Depends when the stickers were issued.

Q: My vehicle was eligible and issued clean air decals prior to January 1, 2017; can I apply for new decals after January 1, 2019, when my white or green decal expires?

A: No. Under the new CAV program, vehicles that were issued CAV decals prior to January 1, 2017, are no longer eligible to receive new decals after January 1, 2019, (California Vehicle Code 5205.5).

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Curious if anyone has a set of pre-17 stickers (MY 2016 car with white stickers issued in 2016) have tried to submit a form anyway to see if/how it would get kicked back? In reviewing the form, it looks really hard to submit a truthful form for a car that has pre-17 white stickers.

My non-Tesla had given me a set of stickers when I bought the car (new) and I was supposed to transfer them; never did. But MVD did send me a "your stickers expire 1/1" letter. Wish my dealer hadn't done that, as I would have applied for them in 17, but oh well....

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Curious if anyone has a set of pre-17 stickers (MY 2016 car with white stickers issued in 2016) have tried to submit a form anyway to see if/how it would get kicked back? In reviewing the form, it looks really hard to submit a truthful form for a car that has pre-17 white stickers.

My non-Tesla had given me a set of stickers when I bought the car (new) and I was supposed to transfer them; never did. But MVD did send me a "your stickers expire 1/1" letter. Wish my dealer hadn't done that, as I would have applied for them in 17, but oh well....
I may have tried that... And got back another set of green stickers :D

We have a 2014 P85D purchased 12/31/14. Part of the reason we bought the car was access to the HOV lanes for commuting to San Francisco over the Bay Bridge. I was told (by Tesla) that this would be evergreen, i.e. no expiration. Now I own a vehicle that is Zero emission, just like the new vehicles being cranked out, but constrained to ICE rules. I don't get it. Why isn't Tesla actively and loudly lobbying for extension of access to HOV lanes for existing owners? I can't help but feel that Elon's just in this for the profit. He has a bully pulpit, but has been silent.

Nobody in the EV community saw this coming. I don't know why you are harboring bad feelings toward Tesla about this. You should be talking to your State representative. It was purely legislative action. However, my skeptical side thinks that there was lobbying by traditional automakers to treat PHEV and EV the same, and to limit the time so that they can rack up more sales by repeatedly leasing new cars, especially of PHEVs that are otherwise less desirable.

Depends when the stickers were issued.

Q: My vehicle was eligible and issued clean air decals prior to January 1, 2017; can I apply for new decals after January 1, 2019, when my white or green decal expires?

A: No. Under the new CAV program, vehicles that were issued CAV decals prior to January 1, 2017, are no longer eligible to receive new decals after January 1, 2019, (California Vehicle Code 5205.5).

Thanks for posting the referenced link... here is the updated matrix for the HOV Decal Color and Expiration: :cool:

upload_2019-1-6_10-39-14.png

We have a 2014 P85D purchased 12/31/14. Part of the reason we bought the car was access to the HOV lanes for commuting to San Francisco over the Bay Bridge. I was told (by Tesla) that this would be evergreen, i.e. no expiration. Now I own a vehicle that is Zero emission, just like the new vehicles being cranked out, but constrained to ICE rules. I don't get it. Why isn't Tesla actively and loudly lobbying for extension of access to HOV lanes for existing owners? I can't help but feel that Elon's just in this for the profit. He has a bully pulpit, but has been silent.

The red/purple sticker legislation was passed in late 2017, IRRC, long after you bought your car.

By your logic, if everyone bought a clean car, we'd all be in the HOV lane and the rest empty. The idea is to provide a temporary incentive for EV adoption, not a lifetime exemption from HOV tolls and entitlement to open lanes.

Sell your car to ICE driver and get a new EV, one less dirty car on the road, win- win.

I'm in the same boat as you, worse bought new in 16, less than 3 years for stickers I never asked for (dealer did without asking).

Reactions: mtndrew1
The red/purple sticker legislation was passed in late 2017, IRRC, long after you bought your car.

By your logic, if everyone bought a clean car, we'd all be in the HOV lane and the rest empty. The idea is to provide a temporary incentive for EV adoption, not a lifetime exemption from HOV tolls and entitlement to open lanes.

Sell your car to ICE driver and get a new EV, one less dirty car on the road, win- win.

I'm in the same boat as you, worse bought new in 16, less than 3 years for stickers I never asked for (dealer did without asking).

We are NOT exempt from tolls genius. I use a FasTrak like everyone else. "Sell your car to an ICE driver... win- win." I would incur a huge loss on that sale. There is no incentive for an ICE driver to buy the car, as it can't be stickered. And since when does Tesla sticker cars prior to sale? Are you an actual owner?

We are NOT exempt from tolls genius. I use a FasTrak like everyone else. "Sell your car to an ICE driver... win- win." I would incur a huge loss on that sale. There is no incentive for an ICE driver to buy the car, as it can't be stickered. And since when does Tesla sticker cars prior to sale? Are you an actual owner?

We pay 1/2 price on tolls and are exempt from express lane tolls. I'm on my 4th EV, including a Tesla. Non-Teslas were stickered prior to sale.

The incentive for the ICE buyer is if he/she wants a Tesla and can't afford new. Stickers aren't the only reasons that people buy Teslas.

As with life, you can't always tell what the future will bring. Life will always be about loss and gains. Can't win them all. Hope this is the worst thing that could happen to you. You could always pick up actual carpool patrons and drop them off at Fremont St. You get a dollar a rider and still benefit from the carpool lanes as they were intended for. There are lots of pick up points in the east bay for this.

Reactions: NoBodyYouKnow
During normal Express Lane operations, solo drivers can use the Express Lanes with a FasTrak® transponder. Solo drivers will be charged the posted toll amount, which varies dynamically based on the level of congestion. The minimum toll amount is $0.30, and the maximum is $8.00.

When traffic is heavy on the 237-880 interchange, the Express Lanes can go into "HOV ONLY mode". This means the lane is no longer open to solo drivers paying the toll with FasTrak®.

No. Right now EVs with valid CAV decals (red or light purple) can still use the Bay Area express lanes (including the 880/237 interchange) for free. This is supposed to change in summer once the 237 express lane extension to Mathilda is complete (at which time EV drivers will likely pay a discounted toll).

I just bought a 2016 X P90D that was from Colorado, then was owned in Los Angeles for six months. I don't think it has ever been issued the California HOV sticker. It looks like they only want each car gets one bite at the apple? Does that mean this car may qualify to pay for one?