Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about this scenario.

Owner A bought the car in 2014,and registered and received decals. Owner A then sells it back to tesla to get a new car. Tesla removes the stickers, and repaints everything.

Owner B purchases and applies for decals in 2017. Owner B is told by dmv that he needs to apply for change of ownership and not new decals.

Owner B decal is up in 2019 or 2022?

How about this scenario.

Owner A bought the car in 2014,and registered and received decals. Owner A then sells it back to tesla to get a new car. Tesla removes the stickers, and repaints everything.

Owner B purchases and applies for decals in 2017. Owner B is told by dmv that he needs to apply for change of ownership and not new decals.

Owner B decal is up in 2019 or 2022?
is the VIN the same? Then the issuance is a recovery of a lost sticker - not a new issuance. I'm pretty sure thats how DMV would interpret it - go look at the form. Its usually the best place to start - and the instructions.

Repainting is not relevant.

That will be amazing if this was tied to issue date. I purchased on 12/2016, but got decal on 2/2017. The primary purpose of the bill is to accommodate Model 3 owners to use HOV lane without clogging them. Actually, if 100K Model 3 owners start driving on HOV lane, it won't be a HOV lane anymore anyways
Don't worry by the time 100k M3s produced they will all be Toll Roads :);):D:eek:

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a New Blue Model S. I hate being required to put on the WHITE Stickers multiple places on my car. I do not commute for work (work at home) so I don't find myself alone in the car pool lane that often.
Place the small one on the rear lower panel that is Black, yes it will stand out but at least its not on you paint. I've done this with multiple cars (1 sticker) and been pulled over and never said anything about it. I leave the additional in glove compartment and at least it won't be on your paint!

I thought I saw some language in the the bill that states they can evaluate if the program has had significant degradation on the HOV lanes, and suspend access if necessary...

Actually this is already happening in many areas. HOV is only marginally faster most of the time. And the difference is diminishing by the day.

My hope was, rather than keep reducing the number of cars who can use the lane, they'd keep increasing the number of lanes, until a tipping point when most cars are electric. ;)

Update from the SJ Mercury News Roadshow: Some new carpool stickers may be good until 2025

The new rules can be confusing, but I bring good news. Sponsors say here are the guidelines for AB 544 signed into law a couple of weeks ago for getting stickers to drive solo in carpool lanes:
  • The bill allows vehicles that received a decal in 2017 or 2018 to receive another decal that is eligible until 2022. This will ensure that everyone has at least three years of use on their decal.
  • In the new program, an individual can only use the decal for three years after the year they purchased it up until 2025.
  • The new stickers will also look different (i.e. not green or white) to distinguish them from the ones which expire in 2019.

Update from the SJ Mercury News Roadshow: Some new carpool stickers may be good until 2025

The new rules can be confusing, but I bring good news. Sponsors say here are the guidelines for AB 544 signed into law a couple of weeks ago for getting stickers to drive solo in carpool lanes:
  • The bill allows vehicles that received a decal in 2017 or 2018 to receive another decal that is eligible until 2022. This will ensure that everyone has at least three years of use on their decal.
  • In the new program, an individual can only use the decal for three years after the year they purchased it up until 2025.
  • The new stickers will also look different (i.e. not green or white) to distinguish them from the ones which expire in 2019.
My new stickers (for my new 2016 MS75D) arrived on Dec 8, 2016. According to this new rule, I will be out of luck end of 2018. 2yrs, and 22 days. So how does this "min of 3yrs" applies to me?

My new stickers (for my new 2016 MS75D) arrived on Dec 8, 2016. According to this new rule, I will be out of luck end of 2018. 2yrs, and 22 days. So how does this "min of 3yrs" applies to me?
The 3-year rule only applies to vehicles purchased after January 1, 2017 :cool:

The 3-year rule only applies to vehicles purchased after January 1, 2017 :cool:
I know... I have to take this fight to Sacramento... someone who bought/registers car on Jan 1st 2017 gets 5yrs, and one who bought in December 2016 gets 2yrs.
Either provide rolling 3yrs for all (but they cannot enforce it.. i get it), or, they consider cases like me and approve.

Interesting reading of the Bill analysis from the official State Assembly/Senate Bill Analysis
SUMMARY: Creates a new program (upon expiration of the existing program) to grant, until September 30, 2025, federal inherently low emission vehicles (ILEVs) and transitional zero-emission vehicles (TZEVs) access to high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes for approximately a four-year period, regardless of vehicle occupancy level.
The Senate amendments:
1) Make vehicles that have been issued an HOV access decal before January 1, 2017, ineligible for those decals issued after January 1, 2017.
2) Ensure that HOV access decals issued between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, are valid until 2022.

3) Conditions eligibility to receive an HOV access decal on the applicant not having applied for or received a rebate pursuant to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, unless the applicant meets certain income criteria.
4) Clarify processes with regard to issuing HOV access decals.
AS PASSED BY THE ASSEMBLY, this bill:
1) Provided that, for white HOV decals issued for ILEVs and green HOV decals issued for TZEVs, the following expiration dates apply:
a) Decals issued prior to January 1, 2018, are valid until January 1, 2019;
b) Decals issued on or after January 1, 2018, and before January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1, 2022; and,
c) Decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance
2) Prohibited a car buyer from participating in both the HOV access program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project consumer rebate program, unless the buyer's annual income falls below specified levels.
3) Provided for a 60-day enforcement transition period in the event that clean air vehicle access to HOV lanes is discontinued.
4) Sunset the HOV access provisions for clean air vehicles on September 30, 2025 (consistent with federal authority), and makes other, non-substantive changes to related provisions.

is the VIN the same? Then the issuance is a recovery of a lost sticker - not a new issuance. I'm pretty sure thats how DMV would interpret it - go look at the form. Its usually the best place to start - and the instructions.

Repainting is not relevant.

I was told that folks usually ask for new stickers in this case scenario. Anybody refused new stickers under that scenario?

They should definitely focus more on enforcement. I'd estimate at least half of the cars in the express lanes in the 580 through the Tri-valley are not legit. I almost never see CHP during my commute. I think the settable toll tags have made it so hard to enforce they don't bother.