Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
an additional piece of information - spoke with DMV unit that issues the stickers and they said that if you qualify for re-application/extension at the end of 2018 (to 2022), it will remain the red sticker that you received - you won't need to put on new stickers.
I assume those who received green/white stickers between January 2017 and March 2018 will probably need to reapply for the red stickers.

So I picked up my CPO this week, one sticker on the rear bumper. No plates yet, they are coming. Should I just ride out this sticker until 1/2019 and then apply for a new set, or apply once I get the new plates now?

It seems some people have had success applying for new stickers once they get new plates. Just not sure if I should do it now or wait until these current ones expire..

So I picked up my CPO this week, one sticker on the rear bumper. No plates yet, they are coming. Should I just ride out this sticker until 1/2019 and then apply for a new set, or apply once I get the new plates now?

It seems some people have had success applying for new stickers once they get new plates. Just not sure if I should do it now or wait until these current ones expire..
The carpool stickers are tied to the VIN, not the owner. If that carpool sticker on your CPO was issued prior to January 2017, your HOV access will end in December 2018.

That's what I thought too, but I read a few posts here (or maybe the other forum) where someone just applied anyway and was given a new set. I guess it's worth a shot.
You likely read posts about people who bought a new car, and mailed in the application before receiving the license plates, but got lucky and the DMV received them after the license plate number had been issued in their computer systems.

I'm a bit confused...I didn't see anything in that CA bill specifying stickers on a ZEV/BEV vehicles (like Teslas) are expiring. All the vehicle types listed in the bill (SULEV, ULEV, AT PZEV, TZEV) are styles of partial zero emission / hybrid plug-in vehicles, but they are not full battery electric (zero emission) vehicles. Does the expiration affect the ZEV / BEV vehicles ? Or is it just phasing out for all the partials (like the old gold sticker hybrid vehicles were previously phased out)?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm a bit confused...I didn't see anything in that CA bill specifying stickers on a ZEV/BEV vehicles (like Teslas) are expiring. All the vehicle types listed in the bill (SULEV, ULEV, AT PZEV, TZEV) are styles of partial zero emission / hybrid plug-in vehicles, but they are not full battery electric (zero emission) vehicles. Does the expiration affect the ZEV / BEV vehicles ? Or is it just phasing out for all the partials (like the old gold sticker hybrid vehicles were previously phased out)?

See this page: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Access to high-occupancy vehicle lanes for vehicles with green and white decals will expire January 1, 2019. Vehicles issued a green or white decal in 2017 or 2018 will be eligible to reapply for a decal in 2019 granting them access to high–occupancy toll lanes until January 1, 2022.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
That part about cars that got a CA rebate no longer qualifying for HOV stickers (with caveats) is a bit of a buzzkill.
The wording on that section is misleading. If you are below the income limits, you can get both the stickers and the rebate.
If you are over the income limit, you cannot get the rebate. I don't think the sticker processing has any income verification procedure, so most likely you can get the stickers.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
The wording on that section is misleading. If you are below the income limits, you can get both the stickers and the rebate.
If you are over the income limit, you cannot get the rebate. I don't think the sticker processing has any income verification procedure, so most likely you can get the stickers.

I appreciate that interpretation.

I’ve just sent in the paperwork to get a set of stickers for this car. Better never than late as they say.

So it will be interesting to confirm a) that the car is issued stickers at all, and b) what color those stickers end up being.

There’s evidently been some variability in the last part, at least.

The stickers may only make it as far as the glove box, but we’ll see. The reports of using vinyl cling material have been encouraging; there is no way I am putting permanent red stickers on a white car. I do wonder if the red stickers are aesthetically harmonious *polite cough* with the red cars,
or if they’re largely invisible, reflectivity aside, which would be amusing.

Proof of paying the $22 fee is one thing. Putting stickers on a car whose look hasn’t substantively changed in ~6 years and on a car that will never grow a tailpipe is absurdly unnecessary. Lest we lose sight of what the *purposes* of laws are, versus the excuses to enforce their literal interpretation to the exclusion of common sense and benefit to the people being served.

I have white stickers issued when I bought the car July 2016. As I understand it, they will expire January 2019. Can I reapply and pay for a new set of white stickers, or pay $22 to keep my current stickers or?
No, only those who received stickers in 2017 and 2018 can reapply (well the process for reapplying hasn't been finalized, but the way the bill was written stickers from 2016 and before are out of luck).

Reactions: cwerdna
The sticker rule changes are so tiresome. It would have made a lot more sense to keep all white sticker BEVs free to use the HOV lanes, while ending access for all green sticker hybrids. Instead they HAD to come up with a clunky rule that retroactively hurts a few. While the chances seem minimal, I'll hold out hope that they'll revise the rule before 2019 so that all white stickers permanently expire at the same time later down the road, as opposed to the current situation.

Reactions: FlatSix911