Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA hov white stickers exp 1/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sticker rule changes are so tiresome. It would have made a lot more sense to keep all white sticker BEVs free to use the HOV lanes, while ending access for all green sticker hybrids. Instead they HAD to come up with a clunky rule that retroactively hurts a few. While the chances seem minimal, I'll hold out hope that they'll revise the rule before 2019 so that all white stickers permanently expire at the same time later down the road, as opposed to the current situation.
Don't hold your breath. The State has a goal of getting a large number of plug-in vehicles on the road and they see the HOV access as a carrot to drive sales. They don't seem to care about the purity of BEVs or the fact that people may buy a PHEV and never plug it in. They think that all plug-ins will reduce gallons per mile travelled and that HOV crowding is a real thing, nevermind the amount of cheating that's going on. That is how they arrived at the new policy. They don't care that they've thrown the early BEV adopters under the bus. If you want to maintain solo HOV access, you will need to lease a new car every three years or purchase and upgrade on the same schedule.

Reactions: suraj1194
Enjoy your HOV decal while you can ... the lanes will be very crowded soon :cool:
California will ban sales of gasoline vehicles by 2040 if upcoming bill passes

We know California Democrats including Governor Jerry Brown are in favor of such a ban, and an end date of 2030 has been batted around. But getting anything on the books would be a victory for electric vehicles as auto companies have long lead times. Planning an extinction isn’t easy. California has already set a goal to cut carbon emissions by 80% of the 1990 levels by 2050. Achieving that would require replacing virtually all combustion by renewable energy in the state a decade ahead of the goal so the move wouldn’t be unexpected in the state. Indeed it might be necessary.

California Assemblymember Phil Ting, a Democrat who is chairman of the chamber’s budget committee, said he plans to introduce a bill that, starting in 2040, would allow the state’s motor vehicles department to register only “clean” vehicles that emit no carbon dioxide, such as battery-electric or hydrogen fuel-cell cars. “Until you set a deadline, nothing gets done,” Ting, who represents much of San Francisco, said in a phone interview Tuesday. “It’s responsible for us to set a deadline 23 years in advance.” Perhaps Governor Brown said it best: “Why China can do this and not California.”
it's already very crowded in bay area =P just noticed today, on the rare occasion i got a lyft ride from Fremont service to work during rush hour. 880 - 237 HOV is full of EVs!

Don't hold your breath. The State has a goal of getting a large number of plug-in vehicles on the road and they see the HOV access as a carrot to drive sales. They don't seem to care about the purity of BEVs or the fact that people may buy a PHEV and never plug it in. They think that all plug-ins will reduce gallons per mile travelled and that HOV crowding is a real thing, nevermind the amount of cheating that's going on. That is how they arrived at the new policy. They don't care that they've thrown the early BEV adopters under the bus. If you want to maintain solo HOV access, you will need to lease a new car every three years or purchase and upgrade on the same schedule.
Or purchase a used BEV/PHEV from out of state ;)

Reactions: mtndrew1
And note that pretty soon, the white stickers will no longer allow free travel in the I-10 and I-110 toll lanes in LA.

Commuters who drive alone in zero-emission cars will no longer get free trips in L.A.'s toll lanes
Not surprising. Initially HOV Stickers were excluded all together from HOT lanes until this bill came along:
Bill Text - AB-1721 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.
I remember getting free access to those lanes back in March 2014, but didn't realize the bill actually said "toll-free or reduced-rate".

I guess I might as well cancel my Metro Expresslanes account and switch to a 91 Expresslanes or OC The Toll Roads account instead of giving the Metro Expresslanes my $1 monthly "maintenance" fee.

EDIT:
This is the bill I was thinking of:
Bill Text - AB-2405 Vehicles: high-occupancy toll lanes.
I thought this bill exempts vehicles with HOV Stickers from paying tolls in HOT lanes?

EDIT2:
AB-2045 did indeed force the 10/110 lanes to be free for HOV Stickers, but that bill seems to only have been valid until January 2015. The timing seems really dumb since such a large portion of HOV Stickers will expire at the end of this year anyways.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been covered before in the thread, but what is the group's take on the following scenario:

- Let's say I purchase today a used MS which currently has white stickers. My understanding is that these stickers do not transfer to the new owner and that if a car has already been enrolled in the program, the new owner can't apply for new stickers either. Am I correct?
- If this is correct, does the "red sticker" phase reset everything, ie allowing the second owner of a "white-stickered" car to apply for red stickers or is it just the same program with different stickers, hence making a used white-stickered car not eligible for red stickers either?

TIA

HOV stickers travel with the car not with owner. if you buy a used MS with white stickers, then the date that the original stickers were issued will determine eligibility for reapplying for red stickers in 2019. If the stickers were initially issued prior to 2017, then you won't be able to reapply for red stickers once the white ones expire in 2019.

In fact, even if the car doesn't physically have white stickers when you purchase it, it doesn't mean it didn't have white stickers in the past - you'd have to call the special DMV number to verify if that VIN has had HOV stickers issues. If it has had sticker issued, then your application for HOV stickers would need to be for a TRANSFER of stickers instead of NEW.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
In addition, if the car already has White stickers, they continue to work through 1/1/2019. You should apply for a HOV certificate in your name so that the sticker serial number and the VIN and your registration all match. That is how they close the loop on forged stickers.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc
"Access to high-occupancy vehicle lanes for vehicles with green and white decals will expire January 1, 2019. Vehicles issued a green or white decal in 2017 or 2018 will be eligible to reapply for a decal in 2019 granting them access to high–occupancy toll lanes until January 1, 2022."

Does anyone know if we'll be able to apply prior to January 1st? If the reapply process starts in 2019, then there will be a whole lot of eligible green or white decal cars not technically allowed in the HOV lanes on Jan 1, 2019!

I am new to this conversation as I recently learned about my expiring (12/31/2018) white California (CA) HOV sticker for my 2013 Model S.

I find this discouraging. I am an early adopter, as many Model S owners are - among the first to help get EV technology to escape velocity. Yet now we are told that newer models may renew their stickers, but we may not. This does not seem an appropriate way to reward early advocates of a greener technology. Perhaps I am missing something in the spirit of this legislation? I do not understand how this law/rule by the CA ARB is environmentally friendly. Essentially, I will have to now order a new (used) car from CHI/New England/Florida that has never had a CA HOV sticker in order to be able to use the HOV lane in crowded Silicon Valley on my way to work?

I am also wondering if I have missed an effort by the many well-educated, well-informed CA Tesla owners to modify this ridiculous rule?

Thank you!

I am new to this conversation as I recently learned about my expiring (12/31/2018) white California (CA) HOV sticker for my 2013 Model S.

I find this discouraging. I am an early adopter, as many Model S owners are - among the first to help get EV technology to escape velocity. Yet now we are told that newer models may renew their stickers, but we may not. This does not seem an appropriate way to reward early advocates of a greener technology. Perhaps I am missing something in the spirit of this legislation? I do not understand how this law/rule by the CA ARB is environmentally friendly. Essentially, I will have to now order a new (used) car from CHI/New England/Florida that has never had a CA HOV sticker in order to be able to use the HOV lane in crowded Silicon Valley on my way to work?

I am also wondering if I have missed an effort by the many well-educated, well-informed CA Tesla owners to modify this ridiculous rule?

Thank you!
Carpool lanes are getting crowded and there is a mandate to get more plug-in vehicles on California roads. I think they felt that indefinite use by existing cars was unsustainable. Personally, I would have kicked out all the green stickers and bought some more time for the white stickered cars - probably through the end of 2020. BTW, the ARB is not behind the rule change. It's the legislature. Talk to your State representative.

Thank you!

Same could be said for the yellow stickers and those who took the gamble on a prius over a decade ago. Then we'd have a bunch of 2003 prius' in the carpool lanes as well. Its an incentive not a right.

The new stickers are red, and are eligible for any car on the PZEV/ARB list that has never been registered in the state of california before. You could go buy a used 2013 tesla from Arizona or something, and register it here and get the red sticker.

I've been driving for over 4 years with only the 1 white sticker in the location shown here (credit to TMC poster AEDennis). I've never been hassled by the CHP for having only the 1 sticker there even though I've been pulled over by CHP once since I've had the car. The 2 larger stickers are in my glove compartment.

For mine, I put a piece of XPel on first, then the sticker, then another piece of XPel to cover it. Hopefully that'll make it come off easily when I remove it after expiration. Will be bummed to do so, because the carpool lane really does save me 10-15 minutes in a 30-40 minute commute on the northbound 5 from the UTC area in La Jolla back to Carlsbad. That is significant.

14046181968_538a8acb37_z-jpg.83077

I've been driving for over 4 years with only the 1 white sticker in the location shown here (credit to TMC poster AEDennis). I've never been hassled by the CHP for having only the 1 sticker there even though I've been pulled over by CHP once since I've had the car. The 2 larger stickers are in my glove compartment.

For mine, I put a piece of XPel on first, then the sticker, then another piece of XPel to cover it. Hopefully that'll make it come off easily when I remove it after expiration. Will be bummed to do so, because the carpool lane really does save me 10-15 minutes in a 30-40 minute commute on the northbound 5 from the UTC area in La Jolla back to Carlsbad. That is significant.

14046181968_538a8acb37_z-jpg.83077

Fun story: I was hit awhile back and had to give up my bumper, where i had my two stickers. I drove in carpool on 15 south in san diego for 2 years, until i was pulled over a couple weeks ago for no stickers and no people in the car.

The officer was SUPER uninformed. He was looking for stickers up front (he thought there was supposed to be one). He conflated the timeline of HOV stickersand accused me of forging my proof papers (the ones you get that has your number on it), stating that no white stickers were issued when my car was originally registered to the stickers I was "supposed" to have. Additionally, because I bought my car used, the person whose name was on the stickers was not me (shouldnt matter? what if I let my friend borrow my car). He said its plate specific, even though the VIN is printed on the proof papers as well. I asked him why I hadn't gotten a ticket in two years with no stickers, and "wrong" plates, driving under the transponder/camera system several times a day north and south, and his reply was "it doesnt work that way". Really? You don't send bills/citations in the mail for HOV violations via those cameras? Sure...

All in all a very silly interaction. Normally I'm really passive and respectful to CHP in my limited experience with them, but I argued the heck out of his ignorance and earned my warning. I filled out the papers for new stickers and left a nice note, sent it off to Sacramento and got new stickers in 10 days... not bad!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Fun story: I was hit awhile back and had to give up my bumper, where i had my two stickers. I drove in carpool on 15 south in san diego for 2 years, until i was pulled over a couple weeks ago for no stickers and no people in the car.

The officer was SUPER uninformed. He was looking for stickers up front (he thought there was supposed to be one). He conflated the timeline of HOV stickersand accused me of forging my proof papers (the ones you get that has your number on it), stating that no white stickers were issued when my car was originally registered to the stickers I was "supposed" to have. Additionally, because I bought my car used, the person whose name was on the stickers was not me (shouldnt matter? what if I let my friend borrow my car). He said its plate specific, even though the VIN is printed on the proof papers as well. I asked him why I hadn't gotten a ticket in two years with no stickers, and "wrong" plates, driving under the transponder/camera system several times a day north and south, and his reply was "it doesnt work that way". Really? You don't send bills/citations in the mail for HOV violations via those cameras? Sure...

All in all a very silly interaction. Normally I'm really passive and respectful to CHP in my limited experience with them, but I argued the heck out of his ignorance and earned my warning. I filled out the papers for new stickers and left a nice note, sent it off to Sacramento and got new stickers in 10 days... not bad!
You are supposed to file a REG 1000 form to get a certificate in your name when you buy a used car that already has stickers. The certificate VIN, plate number, name, and address should match the current registration and the certificate should indicate the sticker serial number that is on the car. So, if you put vanity plates on your car after you get stickers, you should file again to get a new certificate so the plate still matches. These things are rarely checked, but that is the correct procedure.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc