TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CA I-5 How does the Grapevine impact range?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RedDragon, Nov 19, 2016.

1. RedDragon

RedDragon Member

I'm only a few months into owning my Model S, and am planning to take a "big" trip to Northern California over Christmas. The only other time I've done more than local driving is when I drove the car from the Fremont Factory back to SoCal.

I have a 60 with a 210 mile range. I'm mapping my Supercharger route:
    Total 417 miles to Sacramento (from Redondo Beach)
    -Stop 1 - Buttonwillow Supercharger - 131 miles
    -Stop 2 - Santa Nella (Pea Soup Anderson's) Supercharger - another 150 miles
    -Stop 3 - Sacramento (in-laws are close to a supercharger)

Given that the Buttonwillow supercharger is after the Grapevine...does the Grapevine have an impact on range with the 4000+ foot climb? Or is it net neutral in the end considering the downhill toward the end? Should I plan on a Tejon Ranch stop along the way also?

Thanks!

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

I've never done it but you did when you brought your car home from Fremont right?

3. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

EV Trip Planner estimates 157 RM for 134 actual miles, 329 Wh/mi. That accounts for elevation change — but not for weather, so watch out for headwinds.

• Like x 1
  4. jchag

jchag Member

Im doing the reverse from Madera to San Pedro. I plan on Tejon pass then somewhere in LA, maybe Hawthorne in a 60D. Should be fun

5. RedDragon

RedDragon Member

I took the 101 back from Fremont.

Taking the I-5 to Sacramento

• Like x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As another person noted, use www.evtripplanner.com to check your route, but when you input your destination into the car nav it knows about the extra energy required to gain elevation going over the Grapevine and will take that into account, in my experience (I've done that route many many times in my S). Your car will tell you where you need to charge.

I am aware that in the past the Tesla nav has made errors in recommending charging stops, and I've had my share of them as well. But I think the nav is pretty good now, and if you double-check with www.evtripplanner.com you will see that the trip is not difficult even in a 60D. That said, headwinds are not taken into account by either nav methods so if you find you are using more energy than expected (based on the Energy graph app in the car) then SLOW DOWN. It does wonders for extending your range.

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Either N or S, I plan an extra 10% thru the pass for typical wind, plus buffer for winter snow/cold. Highly recommend windalert to customize your buffer. WindAlert on the App Store I use Buttonwillow going north and Harris Ranch going south.

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Nav may try to route you to Burbank SpC on I-5. DON'T FALL FOR IT. There is always a stack of Teslas waiting for a station to open up, even at 10:pm.

You may want to consider Redondo Beach instead of Hawthorne (technically Los Angeles) depending on traffic on I-405 at the time. Comfy waiting area in the hotel and sometimes free munchies, but only 8 stalls vs the 12 at Tesla Design Center at Hawthorne Airport.

9. jchag

jchag Member

Thanks for the info

10. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Hehe. I typed 10 : pm (without spaces) but the website system inserted an emoji when it saw : followed by the letter p without space between them. :p

11. Mike K

Mike K Member

The Grapevine doesn't really affect things much. It's not a net neutral because the upwards grade is much longer and sustained than the downward grade. So you're slowly plugging away upwards for a good 40 minutes and only going down for maybe 5 - 10. So you're not gaining nearly as much on the descent as you're spending on the ascent.

The good news is on the way back you'll lose a lot on that initial climb up but then it's a slow descent pretty much all the way to Santa Clarita.

12. somnambule

somnambule Member

I drove from the LA area to the SF Bay Area a few months ago and the grapevine was mostly a net neutral. It may have had a few miles' impact but nothing major.

13. Tyl

Tyl Member

Going south from Tejon at 65mph you will use 40 miles of range to travel (climb) 15 miles (top of the grade) ... you will recoup 17 miles of the 25 you lost (on the climb) >> on your decent. So not net net... you'll loose about 8.