Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA planning to offer license plates with solid black/blue/yellow background

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people have had their own made up rather than waiting for the state to do it...
cyaopek.jpg

That would mean we would have to give back our plates, if and when our stickers expire? Won't the stickers be discontinued (eg, the yellow stickers), when new and better tech come out?

Not necessarily. When the yellow stickers expired, nobody was required to return them. In fact, I still see a lot of them out there. When new tech comes out, there could be a new and different EV plate.

Per the DMV site
The image is for illustrative purposes only. The final design of the plate will differ.

Legislation introduced the California Legacy License Plate program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plates similar to those issued in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. Only the 1960's plate reached the required 7,500 orders before January 1, 2015, and will be the only one implemented. The 1950's and 1970's plates did not achieve the required 7,500 minimum orders.
Legacy License plates can be ordered for any year model automobile, commercial vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The Legacy License Plate Program will not replace the current Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate program.
The DMV is accepting pre-orders, for the 1960 Legacy plate, until the plates are ready to be manufactured. A pre-order form California Legacy License Plate Pre–Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF) is available for these plates. The completed form and $50 payment must be mailed to the address provided on the form. Payment can only be made by check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to Department of Motor Vehicles. Pre–orders will NOT be processed at DMV Field offices or Auto Club offices.
California Legacy Plate Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
California Legacy Plate Pre–Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF)
PAYMENT: Check, Money Order, or Cashier's Check ONLY.
Payable to: DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES.
Mail REG 17L WITH a $50 PAYMENT to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Legacy License Plates
Customer Service/Operations Support, MS D405
PO Box 825393
Sacramento, CA 94232–5393
PRE–ORDERS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED AT DMV OFFICES or AUTO CLUB OFFICES
REFUNDS: Refunds for the 1950's and 1970's plate orders will be processed for refund in January and February 2015. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for receipt.
Changing your 1950's or 1970's plate order to a 1960's plate requires a new application and new payment. California Legacy Plate Pre–Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF)
To cancel your 1960's plate PRE–ORDER, mail an Application for Refund (ADM 399) to the address shown above. The refund request must clearly indicate that the refund is for a pre–ordered Legacy License plate and include the personalized configuration ordered, or state if a sequential plate was ordered. Please include your name, address and daytime telephone number in case we need to contact you.
NO REFUND will be issued after the program begins and your plate number reservation has been made.

I'd be interested, but I wonder how it affects our HOV stickers, which are tied to our license plate number. You must have your stickers displayed, the sticker documentation with sticker number and matching license plate number, matching plates, and vehicle registration in order to be legal. If you swap out plates, do you need new stickers?

I'd be interested, but I wonder how it affects our HOV stickers, which are tied to our license plate number. You must have your stickers displayed, the sticker documentation with sticker number and matching license plate number, matching plates, and vehicle registration in order to be legal. If you swap out plates, do you need new stickers?
You have to fill out a form and they will send you new ID document with the new plate number:

24. Q: My name is misspelled on my CAV decal ID card or I have a new address or a new license plate. Do I need to notify DMV to obtain an updated CAVdecal ID card?
A: Yes. You have to notify DMV by completing a REG 1000 (PDF) form if the information on the CAV decal ID card needs to be corrected (e.g., misspelling, new address and/or new license plate number). There is no fee required for corrections or updates and you will receive a new CAV decal ID card within 30 business days.
Check the "Information Change/Update" box, state what is required, and indicate the reason (e.g., "I moved- Address Change Only") in the Statement of Facts section on the form.

Anybody know more of these plates?
I ordered (and paid) last June, they were to be issued January or February.
AAA believes the program is still in effect.
Anybody?
~Larry

i got a call from the DMV a month or so ago. all they said was that they are processing my legacy plate request and noticed my miatas registration is due around the same time the plate will be available. the woman suggested i pay my registration on time in order to avoid any delay in the issuing of my plate. thanks DMV!

i did the pre-order about a week after the program request for entries went out...