Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Rebate + HOV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after purchase of an EV, you have 18 months to apply for a rebate.
Currently in CA, you only get a rebate or HOV sticker. Can't have both.

Do you guys think this will ever revert back to being able to apply for both?

Or should I just apply for what I think is worth more now, and just be done with it?

If you buy an EV you should apply for the sticker - its valid now until 12/31/2021 once they get their head out of their rears and figure out a way to issue the post 12/31/2018 stickers.

Seems to me its a simple solution to state:

" I swear under penalty of perjury that I am applying for this HOV lane access in compliance with Veh. Code Section 21xxx, and that I am in compliance with said statute and the regulations thereunder. I understand that if I am incorrect in my assertion concerning eligibility I shall lose both the rebate applied for an the HOV sticker. I consent to the DMV verifying my income and / or the issuance of an HOV lane sticker in order to confirm my eligibility."

Then just check the issuance of a sticker vs, the vehicle and then verify that the VIN has or has not been sent a rebate check. . .

I think it depends on where you drive. Sometimes one would pay anything to be in the HOV lane; sometimes they're as bad as the regular ones, and you might as well just relax and go with the (lack of) flow. Sometimes there's not a choice. Perhaps let your blood pressure be your guide.

Personally, I strongly dislike the thought of plastering the corners of my Roadster with ugly stickers. Fortunately, I rarely drive where HOV lane access would make a difference in my life, so the choice for me would be easy - I'd take the money.

I just bought a Model 3. My 2017 income is >300k, but my 2018 will be under 300k. So right now, I can't get the rebate since they look at last year's tax return. However, if I wait I can apply in 8-9 months. Does anyone know if there will be any rebate $ left at that time in CA?

If not, I would just go ahead and apply for the stickers now. Thoughts anyone?

I just bought a Model 3. My 2017 income is >300k, but my 2018 will be under 300k. So right now, I can't get the rebate since they look at last year's tax return. However, if I wait I can apply in 8-9 months. Does anyone know if there will be any rebate $ left at that time in CA?

If not, I would just go ahead and apply for the stickers now. Thoughts anyone?

I was wrong - evidently they will ask for income verification after you file for the current year. I went ahead and applied. Most of the HOV lanes around me are as slow as the normal lanes.