Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Registration Required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dietcoke

MYLR 5 | MSM/White | No Tow | OD 6/18 | VIN yes
Jun 19, 2021
San Francisco
Dumb question: does Tesla automatically send in the paperwork required to the DMV or do I need to go to DMV and file something to get my car registered?

I just picked up my Model Y a few days ago. I noticed an application for CA registration before I picked up the car in my account docs, but I can't see it now. And no one at Tesla had any paperwork for me, they just told me to accept delivery and take the vehicle.

Dumb question: does Tesla automatically send in the paperwork required to the DMV or do I need to go to DMV and file something to get my car registered?

I just picked up my Model Y a few days ago. I noticed an application for CA registration before I picked up the car in my account docs, but I can't see it now. And no one at Tesla had any paperwork for me, they just told me to accept delivery and take the vehicle.

If you signed something at your delivery, that is your DMV paperwork. you don't need to do anything else. If your license plates and title don't arrive prior to the expiration of the temporary permit, it's time to worried and call.

I signed nothing at my delivery…
Hi. From my experience, I've taken delivery of two Teslas, and both times there was a Fedex envelope in the car (with it addressed to the Tesla delivery center) with the necessary docs to sign. In my case, instead of signing and taking the envelope to Fedex, I just took it back to the delivery center since it was pretty close. They handled it from there with the DMV registration.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Hi. From my experience, I've taken delivery of two Teslas, and both times there was a Fedex envelope in the car (with it addressed to the Tesla delivery center) with the necessary docs to sign. In my case, instead of signing and taking the envelope to Fedex, I just took it back to the delivery center since it was pretty close. They handled it from there with the DMV registration.
That makes sense. I did not see one. I guess I will call the delivery center tomorrow.

Reactions: CarpeDiem12
Did you click the blue review agreements button online and possibly sign anything there?

I signed everything online it seems and so I had nothing in my car to drop off or deliver.
Exactly this. If you e-signed all of your documentation then there is nothing to "mail in". Check your on-line document that you e-signed. You also saved off a copy of all your documents after you fully read them prior to signing……. Right?

I never had to mail in anything for a car I purchased, but I acknowledge Tesla is a different company. I expect they will handle all of the DMV documents I e-signed prior to taking delivery. They had no problem setting up the loan with US Bank. 🤣

I accepted delivery Monday and could not find any FedEx envelope or papers in the car. I just emailed my SA to figure out if there's anything I need to take care of. No DMV docs on my account on the Tesla site, but I did sign all the agreements prior to accepting delivery on the site.

Exactly this. If you e-signed all of your documentation then there is nothing to "mail in". Check your on-line document that you e-signed. You also saved off a copy of all your documents after you fully read them prior to signing……. Right?

I never had to mail in anything for a car I purchased, but I acknowledge Tesla is a different company. I expect they will handle all of the DMV documents I e-signed prior to taking delivery. They had no problem setting up the loan with US Bank. 🤣
What's strange is that I cannot find the documents on my account. I remember there being DMV documents but can't pull them up

What's strange is that I cannot find the documents on my account. I remember there being DMV documents but can't pull them up
Same here. Prior to delivery, I had a copy of the DMV REG 397 form but unsigned.

Now that my vehicle goes to the "ownership" page and not the "waiting for delivery" page, I don't see that form anymore, signed or unsigned. Prior to taking delivery, I had more forms in my account, though unsigned.

Same here. Prior to delivery, I had a copy of the DMV REG 397 form but unsigned.

Now that my vehicle goes to the "ownership" page and not the "waiting for delivery" page, I don't see that form anymore, signed or unsigned. Prior to taking delivery, I had more forms in my account, though unsigned.
Perhaps it's a matter of them processing the forms after signature and then they will appear? Glad I'm not the only one.