Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ca solar w/ 3 PW and SGIP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My solar roof with 3 PW project was just permitted so install is coming up.

Does anybody know about getting the SGIP rebate (either through Tesla or applying on my own)? I won’t qualify for the resilience program but I’ve heard there are still funds for 3 PW installs with Tesla.

How much would the rebate be? I understand it isn’t guaranteed but I’d at least like to apply in hopes of getting it.

I have a good tolerance for paperwork/ bureaucracy but everyone has got a limit.

Any personal experience, past or recent, is appreciated.

My solar roof with 3 PW project was just permitted so install is coming up.

Does anybody know about getting the SGIP rebate (either through Tesla or applying on my own)? I won’t qualify for the resilience program but I’ve heard there are still funds for 3 PW installs with Tesla.

How much would the rebate be? I understand it isn’t guaranteed but I’d at least like to apply in hopes of getting it.

I have a good tolerance for paperwork/ bureaucracy but everyone has got a limit.

Any personal experience, past or recent, is appreciated.
You need to ask Tesla to apply for you. There is definitely money left in the SGIP Large category for 3 PWs, but you need to get Tesla to do the paperwork for you. They may try to brush you off with some excuse, but if you really want it you need to push them.

anyone know the current rebate amount or where it is online?

Tesla doesnt apply for large scale, so if your installer is tesla, they are not applying for that.

Energy Incentives | Powerwall Support

SGIP Application Process
  1. Once you have confirmed an order for Powerwall, Tesla or your Certified Installer must file SGIP initial paperwork to reserve a portion of funding. Availability of funding is based on the current step and volume of applications.
  2. Tesla or your Certified Installer will install, commission and gain utility approval for Powerwall.
  3. Tesla or your Certified Installer will submit the final paperwork to SGIP administrators. An SGIP administrator will inspect your system to confirm it is operating properly.
  4. You will receive your cash rebate.
The SGIP program does not allow Tesla to support customers to apply as their own developer. Tesla provides SGIP support at no additional fee for customers with a Powerwall system installed by Tesla or Tesla Certified Installers. However, Tesla is not able to provide certain necessary SGIP documents or reports to a non-Certified Installer.

SGIP Prioritization
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that a project will receive the SGIP rebate. Due to the popularity of the SGIP program, we prioritize customer submittals based on the date of Powerwall purchase.

Residential SGIP Installations
SGIP has reserved funds specifically for small-scale residential installations. To be considered residential, the storage system must be no larger than 10 kW.

Tesla will only be submitting customers in the residential budget, therefore only systems of up to 2 Powerwalls will be submitted through Tesla. Other developers may choose to submit applications for systems with 3 or more Powerwalls, but these systems will be subject to additional sizing requirements.

Wi
Tesla doesnt apply for large scale, so if your installer is tesla, they are not applying for that.

Energy Incentives | Powerwall Support

SGIP Application Process
  1. Once you have confirmed an order for Powerwall, Tesla or your Certified Installer must file SGIP initial paperwork to reserve a portion of funding. Availability of funding is based on the current step and volume of applications.
  2. Tesla or your Certified Installer will install, commission and gain utility approval for Powerwall.
  3. Tesla or your Certified Installer will submit the final paperwork to SGIP administrators. An SGIP administrator will inspect your system to confirm it is operating properly.
  4. You will receive your cash rebate.
The SGIP program does not allow Tesla to support customers to apply as their own developer. Tesla provides SGIP support at no additional fee for customers with a Powerwall system installed by Tesla or Tesla Certified Installers. However, Tesla is not able to provide certain necessary SGIP documents or reports to a non-Certified Installer.

SGIP Prioritization
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that a project will receive the SGIP rebate. Due to the popularity of the SGIP program, we prioritize customer submittals based on the date of Powerwall purchase.

Residential SGIP Installations
SGIP has reserved funds specifically for small-scale residential installations. To be considered residential, the storage system must be no larger than 10 kW.

Tesla will only be submitting customers in the residential budget, therefore only systems of up to 2 Powerwalls will be submitted through Tesla. Other developers may choose to submit applications for systems with 3 or more Powerwalls, but these systems will be subject to additional sizing requirements.

Well this sucks because the rebate would be $10k, definitely not chump change. The paperwork must be extensive.

what if I beg/insist? Anyone have any luck with that?

Wi

Well this sucks because the rebate would be $10k, definitely not chump change. The paperwork must be extensive.

I think Tesla is being very smart. Since I have gone through the SGIP program, I know for 3 or more batteries, it is a lot of work.
And for most folks, they will not have the supporting justification in their green button data. So why would Tesla want to waste their time
knowing most would not be approved.

Wi

Good luck with that, the reason why Tesla is so cheap is they have reduced overhead so specials like you are asking aren't often entertained.

Other installers are happy to do it themselves, or hire a 3rd party expert on the subject. The company I work for conversely wont quote 1 or 2 Powerwalls currently, we only quote 3 or more and mostly with SGIP. With SGIP rebates pricing is very close to "Buy 2 get one free" Granted we cannot compete with Tesla on price alone so we have to be excellent everywhere else. Also, 3 often allows whole home backup with a good reserve, where 2 was just barely enough for most of our customers.

Wi

I doubt you will have any luck with that. They are over a year behind in even applying for residential. You will find that, in general, the price from tesla for 3 powerwalls without SGIP will be pretty close to the price from a competent third party with SGIP. You can quote it out yourself and see, but that was my experience.

For example, my 2 powerwall add on to existing solar was 18.2k all in (taxes everything), while I was getting quotes from a couple of well known third parties of "11k per powerwall" (22k) or "24k as long as its a basic install". I never got to whether this included taxes. Given the amount of SGIP rebate that was "potentially" available for me, it was pretty close.

I wanted to go with a third party, actually, but none of them were guaranteeing I would get the residential SGIP either, so it was going to be a roll of the dice. I chose not to roll the dice and take the price with it basically factored in.

My install was very simple however, and tesla did a great job on it.

You wont even be able to make contact with the "SGIP department" as they are completely firewalled off from the regular customers, and your project advisor will likely just tell you "sorry we dont apply for more than 2". There isnt anyplace for you to "beg / insist" to.

(note: all of the above does not apply to the SGIP equity and resiliency program, which is separate, and has its own qualifications etc. that I am not up to speed on).

Good luck with that, the reason why Tesla is so cheap is they have reduced overhead so specials like you are asking aren't often entertained.

Other installers are happy to do it themselves, or hire a 3rd party expert on the subject. The company I work for conversely wont quote 1 or 2 Powerwalls currently, we only quote 3 or more and mostly with SGIP. With SGIP rebates pricing is very close to "Buy 2 get one free" Granted we cannot compete with Tesla on price alone so we have to be excellent everywhere else. Also, 3 often allows whole home backup with a good reserve, where 2 was just barely enough for most of our customers.
I doubt you will have any luck with that. They are over a year behind in even applying for residential. You will find that, in general, the price from tesla for 3 powerwalls without SGIP will be pretty close to the price from a competent third party with SGIP. You can quote it out yourself and see, but that was my experience.

For example, my 2 powerwall add on to existing solar was 18.2k all in (taxes everything), while I was getting quotes from a couple of well known third parties of "11k per powerwall" (22k) or "24k as long as its a basic install". I never got to whether this included taxes. Given the amount of SGIP rebate that was "potentially" available for me, it was pretty close.

I wanted to go with a third party, actually, but none of them were guaranteeing I would get the residential SGIP either, so it was going to be a roll of the dice. I chose not to roll the dice and take the price with it basically factored in.

My install was very simple however, and tesla did a great job on it.

You wont even be able to make contact with the "SGIP department" as they are completely firewalled off from the regular customers, and your project advisor will likely just tell you "sorry we dont apply for more than 2". There isnt anyplace for you to "beg / insist" to.

(note: all of the above does not apply to the SGIP equity and resiliency program, which is separate, and has its own qualifications etc. that I am not up to speed on).

Good to know, thanks for the responses. If I get 2 PWs I might get a rebate but then it’s more difficult or impossible to back up everything- sort of a dilemma. Also presumably more complicated install with a separate load panel.

At least I’m getting a bundle discount with the roof and lower than current prices because I reserved last summer.