Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Special Plates question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I'm eagerly waiting for my M3 to be built, in the mean time I have a question
I have CA Special Interest Plates in the Environmental type that I kept from my last car.
With the M3 in Pearl White I would like to switch them to 1960 Legacy (Black background with Yellow letters).
Is it possible to do? If I try to order new ones obviously my wording is already taken.
Thanks!

you may have to call DMV, or if you are a AAA member, they can help you out to swap plates.

Will do.

While on the topic, I'm trying to see for new wording and it appears if I put a half space and later a space (not together) when I see the plate in the cart it looks like my half space has been removed.

Ie.
X(halfspace)X(space)XXXX
it shows as
XX(space)XXXX

Thanks

Will do.

While on the topic, I'm trying to see for new wording and it appears if I put a half space and later a space (not together) when I see the plate in the cart it looks like my half space has been removed.

Ie.
X(halfspace)X(space)XXXX
it shows as
XX(space)XXXX

Thanks

I don’t think CA plates can go over 7 characters total. With the half space you were at 7.5. Maybe that’s why they removed it?

Hi!
I'm eagerly waiting for my M3 to be built, in the mean time I have a question
I have CA Special Interest Plates in the Environmental type that I kept from my last car.
With the M3 in Pearl White I would like to switch them to 1960 Legacy (Black background with Yellow letters).
Is it possible to do? If I try to order new ones obviously my wording is already taken.
Thanks!

As I understand it, you can port your custom plate to the legacy style ... if yours has no more than six characters (max for the legacy plate).

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie
Will do.

Ie.
X(halfspace)X(space)XXXX
it shows as
XX(space)XXXX

Thanks

The half space does not show up well in the cart, but it is wider in person. It is closer to the graphic when you are making it than it is in the cart. I have XXXXXX(halfspace)X and I can definitely see the halfspace on the real plate.

• Informative
Reactions: jgd108
Never ordered a specialized plate before, do you submit it as soon as you receive your vehicle, or do you submit after receiving the normal plates?

When the plates are ready, they are delivered to your local DMV. Then you will go there and bring your old plates and swap them out. They will print out new registration and give you new stickers. When you apply you don't have to give them old plate info. You could swap out any plate with the new plates. The only thing is that you have to pick up the new plates within a certain number of weeks. I think it stated that in the letter that notify you the plates arrived at the DMV.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155
I didn't think the wait time would be so long for these plates. Is there anyway to get the vintage plate rather than the regular plate? I'm still waiting for my original plates to get delivered, but it seems that I am unable to order the vintage plates at Special Interest License Plate Ordering System without having knowledge of my current license plate number.

Go through here:

Special Interest License Plate Ordering System

You can order without having an existing plate (or even the car yet).