Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA tax rate when picking up at the factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Do a search here for Factory deliverues for out of California residents. This issue is old news. Until California changes it's laws you pay Cali sales tax when takg delivery in Cali.

The tax rate varies by county and maybe even the city in California, I am just try to find out what the tax rate is in Freemont. I believe that you pay the tax rate of where you buy it, not where you reside.

Last edited:
From a California resident order showing the final price and being picked up at the Fremont factory:

"This address (my listed home address) will determine your sales tax and registration fees."

What's interesting is that Tesla doesn't show a breakdown of the "applicable taxes and fees". (I'm requesting this info). But based on the final figure, it looks like the sales tax IS based on my home address. In my case 8.75% vs 9.5% in Fremont, CA.

A suspicious person might wonder, "What are those fees?". In my case, they are over $700. Undercoating? Miracle paint protector? Dealer prep? VIP delivery service? Snack fee for plant tour? A full tank of electrons?