TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

CA Tax Rebates on Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by thisnameismine, Aug 29, 2017.

1. thisnameismine

So I called this morning to look into getting a Model S. I've spoken to tesla in the past and they've seemed to factor the Federal rebates into the price (i could be wrong) but this time they said, none of this is applied. And that of course none of this is guaranteed.

So my question is what is the process, with these, rebates. How do they work. What are the requirements. Have others had issues in getting them. I want to know before hand, because my getting the vehicle is contingent up the rebates. Yet Tesla seems to provide no easy answer to them. Which honestly dumbfounds me why they wouldn't make that process as simple as possible.

2. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Hi!

I'm in CA as well and got a new S a few months ago. If you're buying (and not leasing), the federal $7500 tax credit will come back to you in your taxes for the year in which you received the car, as long as the money hasn't run out (it'll likely run out in first quarter 2018!!).

For the CA state, it's $2500 back in the form of a check but because so much of the $ was going to rich Tesla owners, they added income limits. Details are at: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

These incentives/rebates do NOT reduce the purchase price of the car or the sales tax you pay. They simply get you money back through taxes or a check after purchase. And they're not automatic. There is a CA application and a special form for federal taxes.

Happy to discuss in detail with you offline. PM me or email hdhemmati at gmail. If you need a $1000 off plus free lifetime supercharging referral code I can provide to you as well. I'm happy to discuss by phone as well. PM me for my number. I went through all this recently and know more than some Tesla staff about it!!

3. thisnameismine

I am leasing. So shouldn't the 7500 rebate be applied?

4. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

when I was looking to lease a Model S they explained to me that they don't simply deduct $7500 from the price of the car during lease calculation. The $7500 is factored into the monthly payment but you also don't get the whole thing. In the end the lease isn't that great of a deal unless you get inventory cars that's $20k to $30k off the msrp.

5. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Yes they apply the $7500 to the entire value of the car not to only the leased portion (depreciation) but it WILL nonetheless be a savings.

6. outie

outie Active Member

Just a clarification - your statement re: federal rebate is misleading. Not everyone can get the full amount. It's a tax credit that can be applied toward your tax liability. If your tax liability (Not what you owe IRS) is only $5k you will only get $5k back, and it does not rollover to next year.

7. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

The $7500 federal rebate belongs to the leasing company. They can decide what to do with it. They normally apply to the residual value which lowers your monthly payment.

8. outie

outie Active Member

It is applied but the bank gets it and you do not get the full amount like you would with a purchase (if you have enough tax liability). It does however still pass on to you in some form of savings for the lease payment. The lease payment from Tesla already has it factored in.

You can still apply for the CA rebate as it works for lease. It just has income requirement which is already stated above. Good luck.

9. stan23

stan23 Member

If you lease you do not get the 7500 fed rebate.

Also in regards to CA, the 2500 rebate is already exhausted--unless you are low income, so you need to apply and hope/wait for more funding.

in the OPs situation, the only thing you would get is the $500 check from PGE. That's assuming you have PGE.

10. idleuser

idleuser Member

If you applied on June 29, 2017 or earlier:
    Your rebate amount was reserved when you applied online. You will receive your rebate as long as you meet all requirements and submit correct supporting documents within the given time frame. We advise that you periodically check your status online to ensure you are aware of any further action needed to take your application to approval status. Note: If we find an issue with your application materials, we provide ten days to correct the issue before automatic cancellation.

If you applied for a standard rebate on June 30, 2017 or later:
    You were placed on a rebate waitlist when you applied online. Payment to applicants on the rebate waitlist will depend on the project receiving more funding from the State of California. If funding becomes available, your rebate will be paid if you meet all requirements and submit correct supporting documents within the given time frame. All status updates will be communicated through email. Once your application is approved, please check our website homepage for the latest funding updates.

If you applied for an increased rebate on June 30, 2017 or later:
    Your rebate amount was reserved when you applied online. You will receive your rebate as long as you meet all requirements for an increased rebate and submit correct supporting documents within the given time frame.

What does the rebate waitlist mean to me?

11. tpham07

tpham07 Member

I have no doubt CA will renew funds for the rebate, just get in line on the waitlist like everyone else and your check will likely come later on.