Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA tint and front license plate fix-it tickets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rare for them to pull you over for just a plate unless they're looking for an excuse.
I did, however, get pulled over about 40 years ago for a missing front plate on my Porsche driving down 395 near Bridgeport. CHP bragged that he always checked plates. I guess he was bored. That's a quiet road.

Why do people feel compelled to tint their windows more than they already are?
Is it too bright inside your car?
Do you not want to wear sunglasses?
Are you hiding?
Everyone else does?
Just curious...

Probably because you are in Boston, you don't realized how much heat could get in from the side windows under 105+ degree everyday the entire summer. Even in Spring and Fall, there are no clouds and daytime temp is usually in the high 80's. There is a huge difference between tinted and non tinted cars on left arm and left side of the face when the sun go thru the driver side window. I only tint about 40% on the side windows but it rejects about 70% of the IR rays.

Also the side windows are not treated with UVA protection.. it only has UVB. UVA is known for causing premature skin aging. A tint film even with almost no shade at all will block it. And I think about 60% of the cars I see have tinted windows here in SoCal.

Reactions: trojaneen
I did, however, get pulled over about 40 years ago for a missing front plate on my Porsche driving down 395 near Bridgeport.

I have a few stories about the CHP out of Bridgeport. Face it, even in the depths of summer, the traffic count on 395 in that area might reach 1,500 cars per day. Late winter and autumn can be as low as 400 cars per day. Moreover, there just aren't that many secondary highways (some are even closed during winter) and country roads that receive much traffic either. These officers are bored and are just itching to find an excuse to pull drivers over in the hopes of making a big bust for misdemeanors or felonies.

Pathetic, if you ask me, and bordering on misfeasance.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Probably because you are in Boston, you don't realized how much heat could get in from the side windows under 105+ degree everyday the entire summer. Even in Spring and Fall, there are no clouds and daytime temp is usually in the high 80's. There is a huge difference between tinted and non tinted cars on left arm and left side of the face when the sun go thru the driver side window. I only tint about 40% on the side windows but it rejects about 70% of the IR rays.
I guarantee that I have a few more years of driving in SoCal, in areas where temperatures get to 100F+, than you do. I have NEVER put extra tinting on any of my cars. I have never suffered any ill effects in any of my cars.

Also the side windows are not treated with UVA protection.. it only has UVB. UVA is known for causing premature skin aging.
No, take it from me at my advanced age, too much hard liquor and loose women cause "premature skin aging"!
m1224.gif

A tint film even with almost no shade at all will block it. And I think about 60% of the cars I see have tinted windows here in SoCal.
GREAT! I don't want to look like 60% of the cars in SoCal. I want to stand out in the crowd so I guess I won't be tinting my windows and people can see my Tesla grin!

Reactions: K3Man and cpa
Came across this video,

new law in CA (edit: sorry not new, just looked and it was Jan 2018)

If you have a skin condition and a Dr. note, you can tint your windows. Lol.

As insignificant as it may seem, I would say this relaxes the laws a bit on tinting and is a sign, it won’t be enforced any more (and likely less) than it is today.

Or at least I’ll tell myself this so I don’t worry about doing 35% all around. Haha.

https://www.news10.net/video/news/new-car-window-tinting-law-in-effect-in-california/103-2853649

I guarantee that I have a few more years of driving in SoCal, in areas where temperatures get to 100F+, than you do. I have NEVER put extra tinting on any of my cars. I have never suffered any ill effects in any of my cars.

No, take it from me at my advanced age, too much hard liquor and loose women cause "premature skin aging"!
m1224.gif

GREAT! I don't want to look like 60% of the cars in SoCal. I want to stand out in the crowd so I guess I won't be tinting my windows and people can see my Tesla grin!

I have lived here in San Diego / Inland empire in one city or another most of my life, so I have a lot of time in the sun in cars here too. For me, #1 I can not stand the "fishbowl" effect, so in addition to the benefits of less sun and WAY more heat rejection (cooler cabin), the car is also a bit safer when parked since its harder for people to see in to see if you have anything that is worth stealing inside.

I am not doing anything that needs to be hidden, I just dont like people looking at me in "my spaces" which is my car and my house. I also have curtains AND blinds on my windows in my house, and the ones that face the street I never open the blinds. The ones on the side and back I do though.

Same reason I would never (ever ever ever) own a convertible. Not my lifestyle.

Reactions: Shiro
I am curious about owners experience with fix it tickets for window tint and no front license plates.

If you’ve gotten any tickets, please post your location (NorCal or SoCal or city) and if your received a tint fix it ticket, let us know what % you have on your windows.

I’m debating between 35 and 45 Photosync, so it will help to know if anyone has gotten fix it tickets in NorCal.

Thanks!

Hi MC408!

I get this question a lot with regard to window tint. To be clear, I don’t have the authority to offer legal advice and I am only sharing my personal opinions from over the years of offering window tint.

I've had this conversation with a variety of law enforcement officers and most of those I have talked to say it is a non-issue for any tint between 70% and 35%. Typically, you won’t be pulled over for just tint, but it can be tacked on as a secondary violation. Anything darker (i.e., 20% - 5%) will put you at greater risk of being stopped.

As explained to me, the CA tint law is a subjective test and will vary officer to officer. Hence, some officers may pull you over while others may not. Be mindful, there are those “old school” cops that “go by the book” that may cite you for even the slightest tint.

I think you are pretty safe going with either 45% or 35%. We tint a lot of cars, and I don’t think I have ever heard of a client with 45% being cited. Rarely, and when I say rarely I mean almost never, do we encounter issues with 35%. It is the 20% and darker percentages that we commonly hear having trouble.

As far as the front plate is concerned, it really is a crapshoot. From what I hear, and have experienced firsthand, officers in the Bay Area are most notorious for issuing front plate citations. Meter maids have authority to issue front plate tickets as well, and THEY DO! In the Sacramento and surrounding areas, the issuance of front plate tickets is rare.

Something to also keep in mind is that having the front driver and passenger windows tinted (and/or not having a front license plate) could subject you to a “probable cause” related stop. This means that if an officer deems it necessary to make contact with you for any reason (i.e., suspected DUI) and there is not another lawful way of pulling you over, they can use tint, no front plate, broken taillight, or expired registration as a lawful stop. So unless you are partaking in some illicit activities, I wouldn’t be too concerned – the worst that can happen is a “fix it” ticket for either tint or no front plate.

Best of luck!

Mike

[Tesla Model 3 with our Ceramic XPEL PRIME XR PLUS 45%]

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

[Mercedes with our Ceramic XPEL PRIME XR PLUS 35%]

IMG_8708.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

[4runner with our Ceramic XPEL PRIME XR PLUS 35%]

IMG_0830.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MC408
Hi MC408!

I get this question a lot with regard to window tint. To be clear, I don’t have the authority to offer legal advice and I am only sharing my personal opinions from over the years of offering window tint.

I've had this conversation with a variety of law enforcement officers and most of those I have talked to say it is a non-issue for any tint between 70% and 35%. Typically, you won’t be pulled over for just tint, but it can be tacked on as a secondary violation. Anything darker (i.e., 20% - 5%) will put you at greater risk of being stopped.

As explained to me, the CA tint law is a subjective test and will vary officer to officer. Hence, some officers may pull you over while others may not. Be mindful, there are those “old school” cops that “go by the book” that may cite you for even the slightest tint.

I think you are pretty safe going with either 45% or 35%. We tint a lot of cars, and I don’t think I have ever heard of a client with 45% being cited. Rarely, and when I say rarely I mean almost never, do we encounter issues with 35%. It is the 20% and darker percentages that we commonly hear having trouble.

As far as the front plate is concerned, it really is a crapshoot. From what I hear, and have experienced firsthand, officers in the Bay Area are most notorious for issuing front plate citations. Meter maids have authority to issue front plate tickets as well, and THEY DO! In the Sacramento and surrounding areas, the issuance of front plate tickets is rare.

Something to also keep in mind is that having the front driver and passenger windows tinted (and/or not having a front license plate) could subject you to a “probable cause” related stop. This means that if an officer deems it necessary to make contact with you for any reason (i.e., suspected DUI) and there is not another lawful way of pulling you over, they can use tint, no front plate, broken taillight, or expired registration as a lawful stop. So unless you are partaking in some illicit activities, I wouldn’t be too concerned – the worst that can happen is a “fix it” ticket for either tint or no front plate.

Best of luck!

Mike

[Tesla Model 3 with our Ceramic XPEL PRIME XR PLUS 45%]

View attachment 377437
View attachment 377436

[Mercedes with our Ceramic XPEL PRIME XR PLUS 35%]

View attachment 377439
View attachment 377438

[4runner with our Ceramic XPEL PRIME XR PLUS 35%]

View attachment 377440

Great feedback. Thanks.

Reactions: appearancesolutions
I got pulled over in Irvine for tint (35%) and no front plate....got unlucky! Anyone recommend a front plate mount? I wonder if I can ignore the ticket (they have my info) but I didn't sign it and they wrote the model and plate number incorrect.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I got pulled over in Irvine for tint (35%) and no front plate....got unlucky! Anyone recommend a front plate mount? I wonder if I can ignore the ticket (they have my info) but I didn't sign it and they wrote the model and plate number incorrect.

They got your name and DL # though.... right?

You have MX? I have the dry wall screws sets sold by one of the member here on TMC since 2017 on our MX. It works really well and looks good. You have to use your original front plate mount though if you still have it. People said you could also go buy the screws and nuts at home depot... a little cheaper if you know the size. And it is removable if you want to remove it later after you are done with showing it to CHP.

This is the one I got:
No-Hole Tesla Model X Front License Plate Installation kit | eBay

I also got one for my Model 3. But so far no ticket yet for the Model 3 so I didn't put it on.

They got your name and DL # though.... right?

You have MX? I have the dry wall screws sets sold by one of the member here on TMC since 2017 on our MX. It works really well and looks good. You have to use your original front plate mount though if you still have it. People said you could also go buy the screws and nuts at home depot... a little cheaper if you know the size. And it is removable if you want to remove it later after you are done with showing it to CHP.

This is the one I got:
No-Hole Tesla Model X Front License Plate Installation kit | eBay

I also got one for my Model 3. But so far no ticket yet for the Model 3 so I didn't put it on.

Yea - they have my info. I got pulled over in the Model 3. My X had a much darker tint and no front plate and never had an issue